tim hardaway's an asshole

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"I hate gay people," Hardaway said. "I let it be known I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States sports."

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right," Hardaway said.
"You know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that. There's a lot of other people I hear who are like that and still in the closet. I don't like that."

full article: Hardaway dumped from NBA events for anti-gay tirade - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Pradadox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:bsflag:yet another reason i hate sports :rolleyes:. Mr hardass is certainly entitled to his own opinion, but (i dunno maybe cause i'm gay) he sounds really ignorant. Ignorant isn't even the word, i had something more caustic in mind but it escapes me. I dunno, again maybe cause i'm gay, but if i was a coach of a team, and i knew he'd distance himself from someone he suspected of being gay. Well, i wouldn't want him on my team. I mean what other hang ups does he have? Chains and teams are only as strong as their weakest link, and if u love the sport what does it matter what another team mate does on his time? I never get people like this. I really don't...

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, being a multi-millionare as he is, there are other ways to get out of doing NBA events.

Seriously though, I don't see why it would bother anyone, unless there were unwanted/unwelcome advances. That's probably why anyone should really weigh sharing too much personal information about themselves in any employment situation. As for the former NBA center that came out ? Why was it even necessary, why was there a book involved. Who is this guy anyway ? John Amaechi ?

"http://www.nba.com/playerfile/john_amaechi/"

With that career and stats, Hardaway could've simply stated he didn't want him to be a teammate simply because he stunk as a player. Wasn't drafted, disappeared for 4 years and then played 4 more on some bad teams (except in Utah). Best teams he was on had Karl Malone and John Stockton on them in Utah, there, he was arguably their worst player in either year. When on his game he was statistically in the top 5 for his team playing in Orlando, on a team that finished no better than 3rd in the Division they were in, barely above 500 for W-L %.

NBA accomplishments include scoring the first points January 1, 2000 in the NBA and now this book, yawn, he oughta thank Hardaway for the press and pr attention, otherwise this book is a dud ? Hardaway created a train wreck, otherwise Amaechi's writing career is just as obscure as his NBA career ? And no, I'm not Bill Walton. ;)

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hardaway has probably done it with a lot of men and felt like he needed to confirm his "masculinity" by saying that he didn't like gay men. :rolleyes:

I believe the more homophobic a guy is, the more homo he has inside of him. Most of the really straight guys I know are way too busy thinking about pussy and adoring women to really give a fuck about whether Joe Blowjob is going to trip and fall on their dick. (Well, okay.:rolleyes: Some DO have a reason to be worried. But I think that it is all in adoration if a straight guy is hot looking enough to compel a gay guy to get all twisted over him.)

Long&Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Free speech at his finest right there...Do I agree with it...no I dont. Some of my better friends are homosexual. They have helped me through some very very rough times with relationships of the oposite sex. Plus I do like their music (Wham!, Boy George & The Culture Club), those songs always make me happy.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sometimes I wonder if assholes like that really are in the minority, or if he isn't just voicing something a lot of his teammates think and feel.

Whether he's homophobic because he's homo, or if he's just too lazy to chanllenge his own conventional thinking, I'm pretty happy right about now that I'm not a sports fan at all.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks for posting that, drumstyck. Of course Tim Hardaway is just saying what millions of guys think, and I have to say it's creepy to go through life knowing that all those people would get rid of you if they could. There were a couple of other not quite as bad but still lame comments by scrubs like Shavlik Randolph and Steven Hunter, but actually I was surprised at the majority of tolerant if not positive comments among NBA players. I'm sure some of that was pressure to be PC, but I actually do think in recent years there is an increased level of tolerance in society in general, which you even see reflected in a bastion of "traditional masculinity" like pro sports.

And, for whatever it's worth, the NBA establishment has moved quickly to distance themselves from him. This weekend is All-Star weekend in Las Vegas and there are all kinds of high-publicity events going on -- and they've banned him from everything.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
"I hate gay people," Hardaway said. "I let it be known I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States sports."

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right," Hardaway said.
"You know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that. There's a lot of other people I hear who are like that and still in the closet. I don't like that."

full article: Hardaway dumped from NBA events for anti-gay tirade - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

A very minor matter ....
But who is Tim Hardaway ?
I have never heard of him !

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He's a former NBA all-star point guard, played for several teams - Miami, Golden State and more, known especially for his sick crossover.

jdcnow

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So in the name of tolerance, what are we demanding? That this goof have only approved thoughts, or that he not talk to the press?

To counter your argument, here's mine (and this coming from a gay guy) :

A person can have valid and legitimate reasons to be against the homosexual lifestyle, whatever those reasons may be. I believe that that's a legitimate and fair argument.

But to do what Hardaway did and just say, "I hate gay people", is reprehensible: it is blind hatred in its purest form, plain and simple.

To argue the merits (pros and cons) of a person's personal lifestyle choice/preference, that is fair...that's a debate that does need to take place and should. But to say essentially, "I don't like your lifestyle choice/sexual preference, therefore I don't like you as a person" is wrong any which way you slice it. Hardaway is unfairly completely writing off people he doesn't even know or understand, simply because he doesn't like 1 particular choice that person makes: sexual orientation. That is unfair and unjust on the most wholesale level.

Just because it isn't something Tim Hardaway would do (as he has CLEARLY made this known)...I mean, his argument/case is essentially "If you don't walk the straight (pardon the pun) line I think you ought to walk, then I see you as less than a person." I believe that it is that particular attitude that really shows for full display just how socially bankrupt people like Hardaway are, to throw the baby out with the bathwater like that.

You can fairly agree or disagree with the personal choices another person makes, but what Tim Hardaway conveniently forgets is that while we all make mistakes and choose paths in life that others simply would not choose, EVERY and I do mean EVERY human being has worth and value regardless.

Pradadox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So in the name of tolerance, what are we demanding? That this goof have only approved thoughts, or that he not talk to the press?

Demanding? I'm not demanding anything. It's really hurtful to hear stuff like that. Let him say whatever he wants to. I dunno if anyone else has this experience, but as soon as you sort of forget there are people like him who hate you and have never even met you. It gets to you after awhile...:disappointed:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with you he is an asshole and an ignorant one at that.

Perhaps they can send him to the same retreat to which they sent Isaiah Washington.

njqt466

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I admit I haven't heard the entire interview but what was he thinking when he said all of this? You're a representative of the National Basketball Association, playing in the allstar game and your a representative of your own team. Did any of that even cross his mind as he blasted into the airwaves?

I'm glad the NBA has pulled him from the allstar game. He's definitely not the kind of role model we need in the USA right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.