Time efficient workouts with fast results

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I'm looking for a body building technique which achieves impressive muscle increases without the need to workout 2 hours every day because I don't have much time in the evenings and I start work early in the mornings.
Can someone suggest a suitable workout regime please?

Are the techniques Crossfit and calisthenics time efficient?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Are the techniques Crossfit and calisthenics time efficient?

Absolutely. I was in good shape before I started Crossfit and transformed my physique in about a month. I was undecided about doing it, and committed myself to two weeks. After two weeks I decided to go for a third. After the third, my wife's reaction prompted me to keep on going with it. That being said, once you're past the first six or eight months, Crossfit becomes more or less a maintenance routine. At least, it did for me. If you want to keep making gains you'll have to move toward more focus on weight training. And if you're going to do Crossfit, keep your wits about you. It's not unheard of for people to get hurt.

One more thing, I never went to a Crossfit "box." I've always done it on my own with whatever equipment I had. I started with it in 2005 and about three or four years ago basically quit following the official WOD and make up my own routines based on my own intuition.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Goals and stats? Do you want to gain mass or are you trying to achieve fat loss?
Height: 178cm (5' 10")
Weight: 79 Kg (174 lbs)
BMI: 21.5%

I'm currently focused on a heavy metal detox but when my levels are low I will focus on getting my body looking good.
I don't want lots of mass but I'd like to be lean (maybe around 10% body fat)

Daniel Craig is exactly my height, I'd like to be as muscular as him
http://workoutinfoguru.com/daniel-craig-workout/

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Keep in mind that a huge part of "impressive muscle increase" is your diet. You can do anything in the gym and make very little gain if your diet is not on point.
Do you have any suggestions? I'm already mostly gluten free and lactose free and avoid sugar as much as possible, I also eat a lot of protein. This was advised by my naturopath to help me detox my high levels of heavy metals. I suspect by the beginning of next year my toxin levels will be "healthy" that's when I intend to focus on enhancing my body.

overly_straight

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you have any suggestions? I'm already mostly gluten free and lactose free and avoid sugar as much as possible, I also eat a lot of protein. This was advised by my naturopath to help me detox my high levels of heavy metals. I suspect by the beginning of next year my toxin levels will be "healthy" that's when I intend to focus on enhancing my body.

High-volume heavy metal is a good thing!! \m/ Rock on! \m/

achillesx

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd say crossfit style metabolic conditioning is your friend if you're in a phase of dietary restriction and modification.

In the meantime, don't expect to gain much muscle unless you don't already work out. Once you reach your current goals with your detox and all, I would move forward on a limited frequency progressive lifting program. I would start with occam's protocol.

I'm assuming your "BMI" is actually your "bodyfat percentage." In that case, definitely would focus on fat loss/conditioning to begin with. The leaner you are the more predisposed to gain muscle you will be.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I would agree that you should focus on detox if that's your priority. Personally, I think the gluten intolerance thing is way over-hyped and sugar is fine in moderation. It's all about balance. I'm a big believer in the "if it fits your macros" approach... for the sake of sanity. The bottom line on weight loss/gain is calories consumed vs. calories burned. You want to lose weight... Eat fewer calories than you burn. You want to gain weight... Eat more. The kind of calories will affect the kind of weight, of course. Taking in 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight is generally accepted and you can adjust the rest of your macros to what your body responds to best. I do best with lower carbs and higher fats, my boyfriend socalfreak needs high carbs. I've managed to take myself from 65%+ body fat to 30% and I've put on enough muscle to easily qualify as "impressive" by following those basic guidelines. 1+g of protein per pound of body weight, lower carbs, higher healthy fats, calories accordingly. I give myself a cheat day a week. Done and done.

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I had the best muscle-building results in short work-outs by slowing down each rep. For example, start your work outs with lighter weights BUT take 20 seconds to bring the lift totally up, and take 25 seconds to slowly bring it down. You will not do many reps (do them until exhaustion, which won't be many) but you will be really stressing the muscles you work. I had a 35 minute workout routine (3x/week, different muscle group each day, as few as 5 reps/exercise)) and was impressed by how fast I noticed the impact and how quickly I bulked up.

Reactions: dongalong

Flexxx

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I never workout more than 45 to 60 minutes. I hit one body part per day but hit it hard and then rest it for a week. Your muscles don't grow in the gym, they grow at home where you feed and rest them.

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What kind of metals? Who did you get the metal toxins....the old water pipes in France? Just curious...

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
What kind of metals? Who did you get the metal toxins....the old water pipes in France? Just curious...
I had high levels of mercury, cadmium, aluminium, lead and silver in particular.
Although I had 2 metal amalgam fillings removed from my teeth 3 years ago, tiny particals of silver and mercury vapours have slowly made their way into my body over the decades.
Aluminium comes from food containers, tins of beer/soft drinks, sauce pans and deoderant.
Cadmium and lead came from second hand smoke, smoking weed, art products, building materials and general pollution.
I'm over 40 so there has been quite a build up and it slowly started affecting my health.
I've been detoxing since the beginning of this year, I'm making slow progress but I expect to continue taking my detox supplements well into next year.

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I had high levels of mercury, cadmium, aluminium, lead and silver in particular.
Although I had 2 metal amalgam fillings removed from my teeth 3 years ago, tiny particals of silver and mercury vapours have slowly made their way into my body over the decades.
Aluminium comes from food containers, tins of beer/soft drinks, sauce pans and deoderant.
Cadmium and lead came from second hand smoke, smoking weed, art products, building materials and general pollution.
I'm over 40 so there has been quite a build up and it slowly started affecting my health.
I've been detoxing since the beginning of this year, I'm making slow progress but I expect to continue taking my detox supplements well into next year.
Was there a test to detect these high levels? I'm curious how you are detoxing, and how your naturopath knew you needed to detox...I would like to learn more. Thanks.