Time for a new me

Yup! :D I have developed a love hate relationship with them over the last 2 weeks. I am finally up to a minute. And high knees are one of my favorites a it tucks that lower abdomen in really well.

Cardiovascular training 3x/ week (1 one long distance, 2 shorter interval higher intensity)

Resistance training 2-3x/ week, stick to compound movements, preferably free weights (squat, deadlift, vertical push &pull, horizontal push & pull) If you are newer to strength training keep the reps between 8-12 with 1-3 sets.

Mobility/ Flexobility training 3-5x per week. Dynamic stretching before exercise, static after.

The of course most important of all is diet. Lean meats, eggs, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, sweet potato/ brown rice or quinoa and looots of water.

Optional-Supplements: vitamin D, creatine and a quality protein powder. Off the top of my head these are the only ones proven to work.

Sorry this is all I mess, if you have any questions just ask and I'll try my best to answer!

moparmike

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Great info! I think that every night on the treadmill has been being too hard on my legs. I love the idea changing it up, and giving those parts of my body the ability to recover. I will definitely take this under advisement and see what I can do. The only problem is, I will still have to work those damn planks in with it. LOL

moparmike

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay. Only down 6 pounds. Had company for a few days, and ate too much salt. Had a pretty rough blood pressure scare. Knees say I have to lay off the treadmill. Here is my progress though:
35 squats
30 crunches
60 second wall sit
25 pushup
Two 30 second planks
55 situps (25, 25, 5)
My daughter makes Jillian Michaels look like Mary Poppins. Lol.

R

returnofseht

Just a thought on exercise and nutrition: timing is everything. Timing your meals and what you eat relative to your workouts makes a huge difference. For example, if my goal is to shed body fat then I try to do my cardio on an empty stomach, three hours after a meal or, preferably, first thing in the morning with some caffeine (second harvest Matcha green tea is awesome for this - it's a natural fat burner and loaded with antioxidants); then protein (either shake or food) with no carbs immediately after, then eat balanced meal an hour or two later. This forces your body to either burn glycogen stores from the day/night before and/or body fat. It's called thermogenics.

For the actual cardio exercise, I prefer to warm up for 5 mins, then do high intensity intervals (HIIT - like really hard for 30sec, easy 30sec, really hard 30sec, easy 30 sec...or 1 min hard, 1 min easy, etc) for 10 mins, and then easy to moderate cardio for 20 - 40 mins. I do this on a stationary bike or an elliptical because I find that running is hard on the body, long term. HIIT will boost your human growth hormone and your testosterone which has multiple benefits for loosing weight and adding lean muscle mass. Studies have shown that doing hard cardio - like running for 45 mins - can actually be detrimental to fat loss because your body releases cortisol which may stimulate fat gain. You'll actually shed more body fat if you do 10 mins of HIIT twice a day (morning and evening) than if you did 60 mins of "conventional" cardio. And if you're doing any resistance training, always lift first and cardio second.

Then as far as nutrition goes, do a little research on the glycemic index and pay particular attention to glycemic load. Carbs are actually really important to fat loss but it's better to eat complex carbs earlier in the day and water-based carbs in the evening. The idea is try to avoid spiking your insulin levels at night.

Another aspect of loosing weight is a having a healthy liver...and there are tons of foods like beets, walnuts, avocados, etc. that cleanse and promote liver health. The healthier your liver is the more efficiently your body will break down fat and the faster your metabolism will be.

The most important thing is to find a balance that works for you, whatever that is. Hope some of this helps!

Reactions: moparmike

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Cardiovascular training 3x/ week (1 one long distance, 2 shorter interval higher intensity)

Resistance training 2-3x/ week, stick to compound movements, preferably free weights (squat, deadlift, vertical push &pull, horizontal push & pull) If you are newer to strength training keep the reps between 8-12 with 1-3 sets.

Mobility/ Flexobility training 3-5x per week. Dynamic stretching before exercise, static after.

The of course most important of all is diet. Lean meats, eggs, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, sweet potato/ brown rice or quinoa and looots of water.

Optional-Supplements: vitamin D, creatine and a quality protein powder. Off the top of my head these are the only ones proven to work.

Sorry this is all I mess, if you have any questions just ask and I'll try my best to answer!
What can I substitute for eggs and fish? I don't like either.

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
First off, congrats on making an effort to better your health. I think you should start slow with a goal weight in mind...say, you want to lose a pound a week or so( just throwing out some numbers), be realistic and understand that i will not drop off overnight( I believe you no that), don't stop eating, please don't go on a fad diet, just eat better...stay away from a lot of processed and packaged foods, heavy creams and sauces and sugary snacks in general..ummm, learn to read labels and understand what you are putting in your body( trust me, that will help), try eating whole foods, fruit, and veggies, there are healthier alternatives out there...scour the internet. Work hard, even if it is 30 mins a day, what counts is the work you put in. I am 41 and i am in better shape now, that i was ever before. I went from 320lbs to now 160lbs, I didn't drop all of the weight drastically, just a long, slow process. You can do it, just believe in you, and forget those who will doubt you..they will come..trust me.

Good luck in your journey.
Congrats on your fitness! Just curious...when you lost that much weight, did you have much loose skin? I have lost some weight, and have a couple of areas where the skin will not shrink back. Thanks.

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congrats on your fitness! Just curious...when you lost that much weight, did you have much loose skin? I have lost some weight, and have a couple of areas where the skin will not shrink back. Thanks.

Yes. Unfortunately, I am battling the loose skin situation now. I weight train and do all forms of exercise. It is still there, especially my lower stomach and around my back. I have tightened it up a lot, but still have to battle the loose stomach. I would love to have it gone forever but the rest of my body is tightened and toned. I feel good about it.

Reactions: chicocklarge

What can I substitute for eggs and fish? I don't like either.

Chicken, turkey, venison, elk, some beef etc.
Although if you like like meat altogether, I'm not vegan so I can't give you a solid answer. Although I do know you need to eat a large variety of vegtebles to get a sufficient amount of protein. ****** just because something has a full protein file, doesn't mean it's all you need. Yes some vegetables have a full protein profile, but they may only be high in one amino acid, while really low in all the others. (Hence why you need a large variety and knowledge of what nutrients are in what vegetable) Where as you can simply eat meat and get all the protein vitamins and minerals needed.

I'm a side note, experiment with what you don't like and either 1) find ways to tolerate it or 2) learn to like it haha