Time for change in the House of Lords

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_mitchymo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Since Britain is supposed to be a secular country, is it not about time that bishops were dispelled from the House of Lords?

2. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Sorry to disappoint you but Great Britain is not a secular country. It tolerates all faiths but constitutionally it has an established church: Anglicanism. For all my dislike of the Church of England I'd rather have some fuddy duddy Bishop articulately contributing to a parliamentary debate than some crazed evangelical mobster or mad mullah.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Well factually not no, but the UK is still secular, it is predominantly the fact that bishops in the House of Lords are the chord that needs cutting which will complete the process of secularisation. I don't want a mad mullah or crazed evangelical in parliament either but nor do i want an anglican.

4. freyasworld

freyasworld New Member

Albums:
    I don't want any theiving, scamming, lying ex MP's in there either! So who do we have.... John Terry!

5. superbot

Gold Member

Britain is Christian country.

6. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Can only repeat my earlier sentiment. Many Brits have a political anathema for Anglicanisn, but that is no reason to exclude a group of men that are more honest and moral than most. You can argue with a bishop and not be beaten up by some Labour goons later. As with the hereditaries (the golem Blair was going to make parliament deomcratic then filled the vacant places with his poodles) all Brown will do is give the bishop's seats to his cronies from his political correctness club and then we will all be buggered. Keep the bishops, what you will get is far worse. Have you looked at high profile secular nations around the globe?

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agree with Sarge, I have to say.

There can't be that many in there - they probably add balance to the rest of the Lords, and rather them than Catholic bishops hehehe.

Tbh, they'll probably just try and uphold more traditional, conservative values against the lords from the business and commercial sectors, etc. Don't really see it as a prob.

8. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

No religious group should have ANY influence on the inside of parliament.
    Church and state should be seperate.
    The recent equality bill passed the house of commons and then failed at the house of lords, likely because of the bishops imo.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Symbolically and technically Church and State are one in the same in the UK. The head of State is also head of the State religion. Get rid of the monarchy at the same time then.

10. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I would be happy to see the monarchy go. Slim chance tho.

11. Jason

Gold Member

Right now we need a bit of stability in government. Basically we need an election with a clear outcome and no politically-motivated constitutional or electoral changes. There are lots of problems in our present system, and right now I don't think the bishops are anywhere near the top of the list.

The old joke is that democracy is a terrible system until you consider all the others. The grain of truth is that democracy is far from perfect. In Europe the dictators all came to power through democratic processes (Hitler, Mussolini, Franco). Where democracy is strongest it often leads to weak governments and underperforming economies (arguably Italy over the last 65 years). The UK settlement is one that no one starting from a blank piece of paper would have come up with, but it does work, and changing it should be done with great care. Right now I would recommend doing nothing.

12. dong20

Gold Member

Not solely on the basis of their religious affiliation, no. For several reasons, not the least of which is that such a action would be neither practical, nor legal.

The UK has many real problems, but IMO (residual constitutional considerations aside) - the Monarchy isn't one of them.

They may be something of an anachronism, but compared to the incompetent, self serving, dishonest and (too often) outright criminal shower (on both sides of the aisle) down the Mall ...

Also, today, the Pope should shut his yap, seriously.

13. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

qft

14. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good points all, Dong. Especially the last one. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted