Time Travel Possible?

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Based on how I think time works, I would say no. As far as I'm aware, the past doesn't exist anymore. It's not sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to be accessed. We have proof that it happened, but it's the past... it's not here anymore.
Far to complex and convoluted so i will stick with mamameg for the TIME being.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
As far we know the speed of light can't be exceeded, and if that is the case then wouldn't it require warping of time and space?

When one looks at a star in space one is looking at that star as it was millions of years ago. It may have died and not even exist now, but because the light takes so long to reach us we see the star as though it is still alive - we are looking at the past. The further one looks into space the more distant past one sees. It has been said that if a strong enough telescope is ever invented the beginning of the universe could be witnessed.

Of course that is just seeing and not traveling.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If we accept the popular notion that time is a measurement of the passing of event information through spacetime, then we begin with the understanding that the upper bound of this transfer rate is the speed of light.

As one approaches this speed, relativistic time dilation effects make "apparent" travel forward through time a theoretical possibility, albeit with enormous technical and physical obstacles for a human being.

Our current paradigm of spacetime, however, does not provide any model for traveling backward through time.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's a popular belief that if time travel were possible, that you
would only be able to travel to the past because the future hasn't happened yet , making it impossible to go into the future.

Lets all light up a bowl and think on that one.........

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
would only be able to travel to the past because the future hasn't happened yet , making it impossible to go into the future.

Lets all light up a bowl and think on that one.........

There is also the belief that one cannot travel into the past because it does not exist in a solid form either. That the only real existence is the present.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I have heard the opposite, that when a time machine is invented it will only be able to travel forward not back.

I would not be surprised if a device like this were invented in the future, though it doubt it will work the way we have imagined up until now.

"So you're tellin' me doc, you made a time machine....out of a DeLorean?":eek:

justanotherguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
linear time is a manmade thing. Time itself is cyclic and repeats itself. there is a movement/cult that supports this theory.

our present level of conciousness cannot comprehend time as a non linear entity, thus we are still slaves to those in control....

no.. not on drugs

here's Tom with the weather

SexyFront

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Man's definition of time is that of a measurement, not a tangible plain, so no.
Then again, I don't know if our definition of time is correct.

Who wants ice cream?

Yes, you are correct. Our notion of "time" is a man-made invention. I think you have it exactly right, "our definition of time" isn't correct. There is no forth dimension, no actual linear thing that guides us through "history," that is why we can't see it or physically measure it; time doesn't really exist people!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Other than sleeping and loosing or altering your consciousness I don't think you can actually travel in time but I do believe you can control its rate.

It's my belief that time does not run at measured constant rate as most people believe. It is slow when you are a child and runs faster as you age. But time as we understand it is a linear quantity independent from human experience. I always thought your age should be a reflection on the amount of human experience you have gone through and not be a measure of time. It should be a measure of how much exercise your brain and body have gone through - how many times you brain has synapsed.

Cultures also have different perceptions of time. Eastern and Western concepts of time are very different. In the West most people believe the past is something we have left behind and cannot see unless we turn around, while the present is where we exist momentaily as we stride confidently facing forward into the future, in front of us. We are on a boat on the river of time standing on the bow looking forward into the future coming towards us. But according to a Eastern thought, time is likened to a river and human awareness to a man standing on its bank facing downstream. The future approaches him from behind and becomes the present only when it arrives alongside where he is standing and he is first conscious of it out of the corner of his eye. Thus, before he can assimilate the present, it is past already. The present washes away to become history in front of the observer. The recent past is nearer and it can be seen more clearly. The distant past is far away ahead of him, its features only dimly percievable. Instead of squarely facing the oncoming future as in the Western metaphor, this more accurate model acknowledges how the present, as we all know, continuously blindsides us from an angle of vision that assures we will be unprepared.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It should be a measure of how much exercise your brain and body have gone through - how many times you brain has synapsed.

Much like a theory of mine, that time in the stock market is not run in seconds, but in how much volume has traded hands. I'd love to see charts of price vs volume, but they are hard, if not impossible to find.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Technically, when you move, you travel through space time. This was proven some time ago now by a supersonic jet flying around the world with an atomic clock. When it got home the time on the clock was fractionally different from the control clock.

The problem is the distance that you have to go through space time and the speeds required (760,000,000 mph).

So technically possible but unlikely in what we see as physical space time.

Do I get a geek badge?