Timeline of jockstrap visibility

wrestlecoach

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
An interesting fact is the jock was invented for guys that road bikes and as you see none of the pro's sport jocks anymore, it's all about the compression shorts.... which by the way work much better than a jock.

Work better at what?
Mashing everything?

JockCup7

Expert Member
Media
Actually a good many of the pros still do wear jockstraps. It's not hard to tell on these HD tv's and being at live games and you don't have to look for it. Watch a football game or a baseball game. Darker or thicker compression/slider shorts can hide the jock but during practices it's not hard to tell the jock waistband is there.

I'm sure compression shorts alone work for some guys and maybe they're used to it. I have wondered if some guys with smaller packages are alright with just compression shorts simply because their package wont be as smashed up as some of us larger guys.

But to this day, when at the gym working out or playing racquetball or baseball or just being at the batting cage, I have yet to see a guy just using compression shorts alone under his shorts. In the racquetball locker room I don't see guys changing and wearing briefs or boxer briefs under their shorts to play. It's either a jockstrap and sometimes compression shorts over it or they're changing into a jock and cup under their shorts for their game. For the guys playing without a shirt the jock band is highly visible when it eventually rides up above their gym shorts.

When changing at the locker room to go use the batting cage, and I go a lot, it even surprised me at how many of the guys are stepping into a cup jock. Some wear comps over, some don't. For regular gym workout I see more guys stepping into a traditional jockstrap, occasionally you'll see a fashion jockstrap but it's really in the minority.

I've read magazine and internet articles here and there over the last couple of years and see questions about whether the jockstrap is in decline or are jockstraps a thing of the past. Usually the responses are mixed. To me, jockstraps have never gone out of style. Jockstrap usage fluctuates just like the length of gym shorts has changed up and down through the years but jockstraps still remain in use.

A big factor in what some would describe as a "decline of usage" is when middle school and high school PE became non-mandatory in a lot of places. The coaches didn't have to issue as many jockstraps for their classes. Of course it looked like the jockstrap was on the decline and appeared the jock had gone out of style. No. What changed was the classes and attitudes. I believe today more than ever more coaches are instilling that good habit in the guys earlier on. True traditional gym jockstraps never went out of style after 100+ years of existence. Other factors made it appear that way.

Whats changed too in the last 20 years is this absurd idea, by some, that if you are seen in a gym or locker room wearing a jockstrap for working out or for a sport, then you're considered to probably be gay. And I believe that comes from the fact that just to do an Internet search to buy a traditional, non fashion jockstrap, the results go to various sites that have nothing to do with jockstraps for sale. Guys were probably seeing that and wondered what the other guys would think of them if they are seen in a jock. Then it becomes peer pressure. I believe this to be a big factor in why some guys wouldn't start sporting one until they see that others were sporting one. I think this mindset is on its way to changing as well.

As far as athletic cups go, You can read here and there how guys say they don't wear them, too uncomfortable. One gets the impression that those are out of style. Just look back 10 years ago at how few companies were manufacturing them. Today there is a surge of athletic cup manufacturers in the market. There wouldn't be such a huge market if athletes and schools weren't buying them. Someone is sporting those cups and cup jocks. For the guys saying they're too uncomfortable I have to think maybe they just haven't found the right jockstrap or cup jock yet.

Three interesting polls about jockstrap usage, opinions on jockstraps for sports and so forth have some interesting results. I have no way to know the accuracy of these but some of the responses regarding jockstrap usage related to sports are interesting. They appear to be from earlier this year and on-going. All three polls have a total of over 200 individuals that have participated so far. That's not exactly a huge number but it is interesting to see where guys opinions are at.

Men's Sportsgear Poll
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/600814/results

Guy's Sports Jock Cup Poll
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/601456/results

Jockstrap & Athletic Hard Cup poll
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/600396/results

Wrestlecoach, I realize your thread is about jockstrap visibility and I went off the 'visibilty' topic a bit.

wrestlecoach

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
When I was in school in the late 80's to early 90's, boxer shorts were just starting to get popular with many guys. The gym class had a rule that no loose boxers could be worn for class. Briefs and jocks were okay. Boxer-briefs and compression shorts had not really come around yet. Most guys would wear briefs under their boxers, take both their pants and boxers off, and then put their gym clothes on. Primarly so they didn't need to get naked in the lock room to meet the gym requirement, but still wear boxers throughout the day for appearance. ....I couldn't fathom wearing 3 layers of pants and never did it! I just went commando, but wore a long shirt that would cover me up while changing

I have known several coaches, myself included, who don't' allow boxers shorts either. I don't require a jockstrap normally but If a guy comes to practice in boxers, he is then required to put on a jockstrap out of the team box for the remainder of that practice and the next 5 events be it practice or matches. Several guys the only time they wore a jockstrap under their singlet for a meet was during one of their punishment times for wearing boxers.
I remember a several different times when I know they did it on purpose to be made to wear a jockstrap. I could see them thinking it over when we gave out practice gear and they were offered a jock but didn't' make the move to take one. Then even tho I never saw them in anything but compression shorts, all of a sudden showed up to practice wearing boxers and were all to eager when made to go put on a jock. This " on purpose" getting caught in boxers happens once or twice a year and those guys almost always end up keeping on wearing a jockstrap after their punishment period is over. Like they wanted to wear a jockstrap but couldn't make themselves come forward and make the choice on their own.