Timothée chalamet

braex27

Superior Member
Media
I think it works better that they lose touch - it's clear they're not going to reignite their relationship, Oliver marries, keeping Elio on the line would have been cruel. He wouldn't have moved on.

right55

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Does he stand a chance against gary.oldman for best actor?

not really. oldman has swept all the awards thus far and from what i hear he is far ahead of chalamet. Would love for him to win but doesnt look good. chalamet is out there campaigning but dont think its gonna matter. Only way oldman loses now is if any sexual allegations come out.

matelalique

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
not really. oldman has swept all the awards thus far and from what i hear he is far ahead of chalamet. Would love for him to win but doesnt look good. chalamet is out there campaigning but dont think its gonna matter. Only way oldman loses now is if any sexual allegations come out.

My observation is that "breakout" performances frequently make the supporting actor awards, but lead actor is often a nod to multiple performances. I loved Chalamet's performance, but I don't think he has the track record for the academy to vote for him (and we all understand that the oscar does not go to the best actor, it goes to the person with the most votes, and there is a difference).

luzbeki

Cherished Member
Media
They like to award young breakout "starlets" in Best Actress, e.g. Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, but male winners tend to have to wait a lot longer. So no, Timothée won't win this year, sadly.

Random side note. The youngest living Oscar winner is... Sam Smith :-/

mooi80808

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you havent seen the movie, please do! (in the cinema of course) It truly is one of the best movies from the last 5 years. I cried my eyes out (in a good way) . I saw it 2 weeks ago and it still wanders trough my toughts. I think I go for a second screaning, cant help myslef :)

sunmor09

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Does he stand a chance against gary.oldman for best actor?

I doubt it. Timmy won NYC circle’s award, but Oldman won major awards pre-Oscar like SAG, Golden Globes, etc., and Oldman’s role in Darkest Hour is a true Oscar bait: biopic, long make up process, and shoutings. But will see in March 4th, who knows?!

Toochie

Legendary Member
Media
Hong Kong (Central and Western, Hong Kong)
Sexuality
Unsure
My observation is that "breakout" performances frequently make the supporting actor awards, but lead actor is often a nod to multiple performances. I loved Chalamet's performance, but I don't think he has the track record for the academy to vote for him (and we all understand that the oscar does not go to the best actor, it goes to the person with the most votes, and there is a difference).
Thats what i thought too. Well, we'll just wait for some miracle to happen maybe cause he really did an outstanding performance in CMBYN. I just hope more roles like this will knock on his doorstep to continue oscar bids

Toochie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Saw him in person the other day with Armie: he has beautiful eyes, and he's really cute in every way possible. On a picture I'm not a fan, looks too young and too skinny, but alive in front of him he's just like in the movie, very charming.
REALLY?!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS. ID DIE IF ID SEE HIM AND ARMIE. HAVE YOU GOTTEN ANY PIX?

Toochie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If you havent seen the movie, please do! (in the cinema of course) It truly is one of the best movies from the last 5 years. I cried my eyes out (in a good way) . I saw it 2 weeks ago and it still wanders trough my toughts. I think I go for a second screaning, cant help myslef :)
It's already my fave movie of all time. I've seen it 5 times, read the book twice while also listening to the audiobook. And it just gets me really down everytime. I think I already need therapy

Reactions: heathandjake

Caesarimp

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a shame, really. Other issues aside, Oldman is a great actor with a record of fantastic performances, but I wouldn't award him for *this* particular performance. I thought it was hammy and forgettable. Chalamet on the other hand, is going to be remembered for this role for a long time to come.

Reactions: keenobserver

daaron50

Loved Member
Media
It's a shame, really. Other issues aside, Oldman is a great actor with a record of fantastic performances, but I wouldn't award him for *this* particular performance. I thought it was hammy and forgettable. Chalamet on the other hand, is going to be remembered for this role for a long time to come.

I totally agree. Plus, why does it seem like portrayals of historic figures end up getting the most awards? I'd much rather see someone win for playing an original character in an original story.

Caesarimp

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I totally agree. Plus, why does it seem like portrayals of historic figures end up getting the most awards? I'd much rather see someone win for playing an original character in an original story.

Because it's pretty easy awards bait and academy voters fall for it fairly often. Get a great actor in heavy makeup playing a renowned historical figure, gives them opportunities to deliver a lot of loud inspirational speeches. Acting!

Toochie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yup. True. This will be tims defining portrayal which he will be associated for the rest of his life. By next yr, we wont even remember what oldman won for. I hope the academy will take that into consideration though. But the oscars is a popularity contest. So lets just hope for the best

Reactions: Caesarimp

heathandjake

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've seen it four times already; each time with a different group of people. I have loved each viewing and want to see it once more in the theater before it gets removed. Yes. I have read the book and I listen to the music on a daily basis. I absolutely LOVE everything about this work of art!