Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Long story short, I reached out in the appearance forum and got 1 response, and it got me thinking that women are probably more attune to this topic.

I decided to finally try a Brazilian wax. How much should one tip?

I live in Raleigh, NC and the wax is about $50 for reference points.

If it turns out I am happy with the results, I will make this a regular thing and I believe in the power of taking care of people and return business.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Think 20 percent. Same as hair cut/styling or massage therapy.
Service industry means the professionals (and the three careers in the topic are professionals who sit boards, pay for licenses upwards of $200 annually plus insurance and continuing ed out of their own pockets) are paid crap.

The difference comes in someone who owns the business.
I think service providers in control of the pricing should charge what they are worth. However, competitive markets can make some providers join a race to the bottom.

At $50, I'd have no problem adding $10-15 for a great service.

Reactions: Alex22876

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I get my hair "did" as my neighbor says, I usually spend around $50 and I tip $10. And I'm not telling ANYONE where I get my hair done for $50! She's awesome and a complete treasure. I used to spend upwards of $200 in Atlanta.

Reactions: Alex22876

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cool thank you. I bartended for a long time and I tend to overtip.
I was thinking 20. I will go with that as something toward the next time I show up.
I usually give an aesthetician 20%, but if she waxes between my cheeks, she gets 25%. I mean, I do bathe immediately before seeing her, but still. She's seen my pucker, and is always very professional about it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
The woman who does my eyebrows swaps bad appointment stories with me.

Complete with "weird biological residue."

Dear women, know your cycle. Be prepared. Also, closer to a period, the whole area is more sensitive. Be kind to yourself, and know the sensitivity level as it relates to hormone levels.

Men, perianal sweat is real. And foul. Hit the restroom and wipe with a damp paper towel.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The woman who does my eyebrows swaps bad appointment stories with me.

Complete with "weird biological residue."

Dear women, know your cycle. Be prepared. Also, closer to a period, the whole area is more sensitive. Be kind to yourself, and know the sensitivity level as it relates to hormone levels.

Men, perianal sweat is real. And foul. Hit the restroom and wipe with a damp paper towel.
My fear is ever bein one of those stories. If I can't be home to shower before my appointment, I cancel unless they can let me use theirs. I bring baby wipes, and when she leaves the room so I can undress, I have another quick cleanse with wipes. I tend to be a little oily because after a shower, I moisturize with coconut oil. She gives me some kind of wipe that breaks down the oil. I always tell her not to hesitate to let me know if I've missed anything. I just do not want to be one of those stories where she is just expected to put up with something gross.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*blink* i don't wanna be a waxer's cautionary tale :(:eek:

i always double down on the cleaning routine before a sugaring visit.
this lady is getting super up close and personal with all my up close and personals.
lucky for me, she is mad professional and killer with a cotton strip.
is mostly painless and i've never been put into a yoga position to reach where the sun don't shine.

on to ya question, 20% is the minimum.
i believe in tipping on the high end.
i've never not gotten the appointment i wanted and i never have to wait.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I only get eyebrows done, and I don't think I'd ever go for more.
Brave people!
Brazilian is honestly less painful, mostly, than eyebrows. It just takes a lot longer, and is many more applications than eyebrow waxing. The first time I had it done was to avoid having to buy a new razor at my destination or check my luggage to carry a razor from home for a trip I took. Very pleasantly surprised.