Tipping at fast food places?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Nomad, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Has anyone else noticed the way tip jars/cups are popping up everywhere? Even my neighborhood Dairy Queen has one. Why would one tip in a minimum-service environment? I don't tip at the gas station, why would I at a fast food place?

Are these people's employers cutting pay? If that's the case, I would expect prices to go down if they really want me to start tipping...

2. transformer_99

Gold Member

It's not so much that pay cuts are the problem, it's that minimum wage staying the same and all that stuff about illegals taking those jobs applies, not to mention inflation takes it's toll. Prices of fast food has gone up, I doubt the trickle down of those price increases has been there for labor in terms of better wages.

I'd like to see people get paid better, but inflation has drilled me just the same, lunches are just more expensive, like anything else.

3. Shelby

Gold Member

Nope.

Unless something extraordinary happens.

4. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two thougths on this:

I tip for service and a lot of the times I have to wait to place my order because of some nonsense behind the counter and when it finally does arrive, it is screwed up. As for courtesy, well, that is out the window nowadays. I was brought up to always say please thank you excuse, ets. and I'm just not hearing any of that.

Secondly, management must obviously be aware that there is a tip jar out, so are they in on it in some way?

5. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Tipping seems fair Often (usually) the workers are paid low wages and they still have to go out on the floor and clean up counter tops and tables where people have left a mess If the person who takes my order at the coffee bar is pleasant and the staff in general is pleasant then I am more than happy to drop a few coins or even some paper money into their container It just seems fair and proper In some places I also watch and listen to the employees as they interact with other customers and listen as they tell the ingredients of various items and even offer suggestions a customer is unsure between choosing between 2 or 3 items The workers in the fast food industry are in most cases underappreciated for all that they are subjected to.

Draft saved Draft deleted