Tips for a newbie

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Riffing off "The Untouchables" thread, if there were one thing you would say to a new person that you think would help them navigate the treacherous waters of this board ,what would they be?

Jump in fast and furiously?
Sit back and observe and jump in with caution?
Pay homage to the elders and work your way up?
Or fight the powers that be?

Tell what you think.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Oh - um none of those - um, more like:
READ THE POST YOU ARE REPLYING TO (cos that helps)
and
READ YOUR OWN POST BEFORE YOU CLICK SUBMIT (cos that really helps)
and
Be honest

Anyway - WTF do I know - I'm still a
N :wiggle: :wiggle: B
and damned proud of it...

Duality

Experimental Member
Media
This thread has some great ideas about that.
Yep, that thread covers most of what I was gonna say :biggrin1:

One thing I'd stress though is to watch what you post, because you only have an hour to edit it. And stick to your story, because people on vBulletin boards always seem to read your post history the instant they feel you're piping in a bit too much (thus old posts can really come back to bite you). Bullshitters are usually their own worst enemy in this regard. And if you're a new LPSG user... well... chances are you're gonna bullshit.

Beyond that, the best piece of advice I can give, for any forum really but this one especially, is to establish a 'voice' early on. Not a persona per se... but you gotta make people go, "hey, it's that person, I love what that person posts, so I'm gonna have to read this post for sure!" If a thread is... say... "How many partners have you had" or something similar, and there's already 30+ posts, chances are most everybody will have backed out before they even get to your post, but if you're that person, they may feel differently. Make people want to read what you have to say. Having a good gallery can help, yes, but at the end of the day/login, think about it: how much time do we spend here looking at pics, and how much do we spend reading the 'voices' of lpsg's users? Make your voice stand out, otherwise you will get lost in the crowd.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jump right in and be yourself, the fastest way to get to feel at home on a new site is to act like you've always been there. Some people will feel a little offended if you're familiar as they consider you a stranger - but it's the net basically most of us are strangers and they should lighten up. Don't adopt a persona it's far too hard to keep up and sooner or later if you fake in any way you'll be called out on it.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't immediately start trying to change the board community to suit your needs - if LPSG isn't what you are looking for, look elsewhere. Helping it to evolve is a different story, but that brings me to my second point:

Jump right in and start posting, so we can get to know you. But be careful what you post. Behave as if you are a new person walking into a room full of people who already know each other.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't immediately start trying to change the board community to suit your needs - if LPSG isn't what you are looking for, look elsewhere. Helping it to evolve is a different story, but that brings me to my second point:

Jump right in and start posting, so we can get to know you. But be careful what you post. Behave as if you are a new person walking into a room full of people who already know each other.

Seconded.

In fact all the replies so far deserve seconding.

On the topic of voice, though, I think any poster will represent themselves better if whatever voice they choose says what the real person behind the keyboard truly thinks, feels and believes.
Seems like such a waste of time being here if you don't.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Check out the other posts using the search function.If your asking someone a question.
Don't send pm's to women here, asking them if they want to see your dick.
Be respectful {when possible!} when asking for another members opinion.
And stop sending me IM's asking if I want to see your dick! Geez!
cigarbabe:saevilw:

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Honestly, I would say to post what you think and what you believe and not what others want to hear. People here have long memories and if you are contradicting what you said at the beginning when you have been here 6 moths people are going to wonder what the truth is.

I had a problem with the “untouchables” thread as it implied that there are certain people on the board who you can not disagree with for fear of being banned or hated by everybody. Truth is that if you go against a regular here you are not offending everybody (providing you are somewhat respectful.) If you come in and call one a fucktard then you are looking to have a problem.

Really my advice is to be who you are and post what you think but to chose your words carefully and consequences be damned. Keep an open mind and read other points of view as well; you may learn something.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I’m the new kid on the block, I generally act like I would in real life meeting a group of people I didn’t know....Be polite, listen and if a topic interests me make a civil comment or two.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Before I registered, I was watching the board for a rough 6 months time in guest mode. It was more of an accident that got me here, and since the threads were browsable without registering, I did so for some time. And then I signed in one day, and dashed in. I had read the then current discussions and participated, and now I have a name on here. However, not as untouchable as others.