Tips to get in shape?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by stickyboxers, Jan 2, 2010.

1. stickyboxers

stickyboxers New Member

I guess this kinda falls under appearance issues, if it doesn't then I apologize.

I've never really been the fit guy. I've always grown up a little chubby but not really fat. I'm kind of insecure about my body (mostly flab of a stomach) and would like to get healthy and in shape to the point where I'm comfortable not wearing a shirt. The main problem is my nipples come out and when I'm cold or they are rubbed they get hard.

Anyone have some good tips to establishing a routine to get in shape and happy with my appearence? I'd really appreciate recommendations on guides that help you get in shape and eat healthy, like a book to help establish weekly routines and goals as I am not motivated enough to do these alone. I'm not expecting to get a 6 pack, but I would like to have a flat chest or not have my nipples look so big.

Thanks!

2. D_xc4z

D_xc4z New Member

well all i can say is that, not being motivated will hinder your progress.

3. stickyboxers

stickyboxers New Member

True but I feel like if I have a guide or book on helping me then I can make goals and stick with them. If I don't then I'm just aimlessly trying to get in shape unrealistically.

4. Svidrigailov

Svidrigailov Member

Get a gym membership so you can do weightlifting in addition to running.

For weightlifting, you want to do compound exercises, those that work multiple muscle groups at the same time. Isolation exercises, like bicep curls, are not so important starting out. The good compound exercises are squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, pullups/chinups, standing/bent over rows, incline press, dips, and I could go on. There are variations on these, for example you can do military press with dumbbells or the barbell. There are a plethora of exercises you can look up to strengthen your core also.

Buy a good pair of running shoes and go hog wild.

Doing weightlifting in addition to cardio will cause your body to maintain and strengthen the muscles while reducing body fat. If you do cardio exclusively and no weightlifting, your body will preferentially burn muscle instead of fat (the muscles not being used for cardio). From an evolutionary/survival standpoint this makes sense because fat is better for long term energy storage and has a lower metabolic requirement than muscles.

You need to be willing to make a lifestyle change. If you are serious about getting in shape you need to be committed to doing this stuff for the rest of your life.

5. jpk338

jpk338 Well-Known Member

the first thing i noticed is you are looking for excuses not to exercise. your nipples stick out. big damn deal and so do mine and i'm not talking just a little bit. mine are the size of a womens. put bandaids over them if thats the problem. but please stop making excuses for not doing something simply say I CAN DO THIS. i know what you are going thru because i've been there. every morning when you wake up simply say to yourself that i'm doing this for me. you'll be surprised,if you do this ,how you'll feel in a couple of months. good luck i know you can do it.

6. D_HolyTango

D_HolyTango New Member

I agree with svid... you really do have to mean business, and even though your reason is understandable, you may need to have a more hardcore reason for why you want to get in shape. Maybe looking good is good enough for you though. I don't understand what tiger 8 is talkin about because he didn't make "excuses", he said that he needed motivation. How is that making an excuse? And no slapping some band-aids on your man boobs isn't going to fix anything either. That's why you should think about your health and well-being. Make exercise and fitness become a part of your life NOT something you need to do to look good. I wouldn't think that's enough to do it.

7. nowayzomg

nowayzomg Member

Albums:
    Seriously, especially if you have lack of motivation, get a work out partner and agree on days you wanna do whatever exercise you want, whether it's the gym, hiking, running or whatever. The responsibility of having a deal with another and not wanting to let him/her down really helps.

8. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

True dat. It helped me when I was in the military.

9. jpk338

jpk338 Well-Known Member

i'm sorry if i was misunderstood i hate exercising i would make up all kinds of excuses not to do it now i have diabetes and a heart problem do it for yourself don't wait until it is too late again good luck

10. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    One of my gym's mottos is "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Unless you're the driven type (or a masochist, lol) you won't stick to a routine that you don't enjoy.

A large part of my initial motivation to get in shape was to look better, but it's been the fitness - increased strength, stamina, flexibility, better posture and healthier appetite that keeps me at it. Now it's just something that I do regularly and miss badly if I skip it for any reason.

11. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For those who can't get into running, try riding a nice road bike for your cardio. Cross train with gym workouts. If you do it faithfully and routinely, you'll get the results. The biggest factor: You have to work out consistently. Don't give up and don't make excuses. Once you start to see the new you, you'll be motivated to keep improving.

12. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    If you're in school register for a weightlifting class like I'm doing.

13. RalDudeHangin

RalDudeHangin Member

Motivation plays into the most important thing about getting in shape and being healthy: CONSISTENCY.

What ever you do, do it regularly. Having a "bad" day or skipping once in awhile isn't the end of the world. But be sure to set up a flexible, regular schedule.

It has to be flexible. You have to be realistic when setting goals or they become frustrating and you're more likely to give up.

I would recommend a 4 part plan:

- Start by picking 4 days a week to do at least 30 minutes of cardio. Get your heart rate up. Do it in the morning, evening, both . . . whatever works for you. Mix it up if you have to.

- Start a weight training program to begin to tone muscles. Tone muscles help your body burn calories more efficiently. Concentrate on major muscles groups: arms/shoulders, chest/back, legs/butt, core training (stomach/obliques). Start with low weights and do more reps. Concentrate on practicing safe form for the first few weeks.

- Watch what you eat: limit proportions, limit sugars and carbs, and drink water, drink water, drink water.

- Get plenty of sleep (very important and often the most overlooked)

Start off slowly. If you can consistently keep this up for a month, then up the ante. Do an extra day of cardio or increase time to 45 min. Bump your weight training a bit. Continue to monitor diet and sleep well.

14. odran8

Gold Member

Svidrigailov, nowazomg and Sdbg all provided good tips. Raldudehangin mentioned eating healthfully. To follow-up on that tip, I would say make sure your diet consists of lots of plant based foods - fruits and vegetables; get your proteins from lean meats, chicken and fish. Avoid fried foods.

15. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I am a big believer in going to the gym (versus having a gym at home). for me, having a membership and knowing that I am paying for something forces me to use it.

My suggestion would be (if you have the money)--see what kind of membership discounts you can get and then look into a personal trainer. I have seen many men and women in my gym begin by having a training for about 3 months until they learned everything they needed to be successful and then continue on their own.

Remember to not campare yourself to others at first. Everyone's results are different.

You will also need to examine nutrition and food. Exercising without eating a proper diet (targeted towards your goals) will not produce any significant changes.

The gains I have seen in the past year (chest, arms) were all due more to shifts in my eating habits than different exercises in my routine.

QFT. Once you get into a routine of getting up and going to the gym (or going in the evenings--firguring out which time of day works for you is key), you have to find ways to "Stay Hungry." For me, I look at larger guys and chat with other lifters to stay motivated.

Good advice. The only cardio I can do (mental block, I know) is the stationary bike.

As for the part I bolded, I concur.

I HATE the gym and I LOVE the results!

#16 Lex, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  16. patreus

patreus Member

Albums:
    You wanted a book that would give you a plan to get in shape?

To a great many people this is easily one of the best books ever written about becoming stronger, and therefore getting in shape: Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.

The key is perseverance and consistency. You have to do it, and you have to keep doing it regularly. It is a lifestyle switch, not just something you can do once in a while. If you follow the program in Starting Strength - and I mean really follow it, and not just do it half-assed some of the time here and there - then it will be pretty much impossible for you not to get in shape.

If you don't want to buy the book, just Google "Mark Rippetoe" and "Starting Strength". You should find links for a lot of sites, including the Starting Strength Wiki, which will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about getting stronger, including a lot of videos that will show you exactly how to do all of the lifts with the proper form, which is very important. Beyond that, just hang around the forums at BodyBuilding.com and search through their archives.

The only reason you would ever need a personal trainer is if you are recovering from an injury or are an elite, professional athlete or bodybuilder that needs precise, expert evaluation. For the vast majority of people a personal trainer will offer you absolutely nothing that you couldn't have learned much more easily on your own by just looking on the internet for 5 minutes (see above).

From reading your post, it sounds to me that you are primarily interested in losing body fat but that you also want more defined areas for some parts of your body. The thing you have to realize is that you can't spot target fat loss. Your body determines on its own where it will add or burn fat, all you can control is how you eat and how your exercise. If there is one part of your body that you just have to keep trying to lower your body fat and build muscle until it doesn't bother you anymore. There is no magic exercise routine that will give you what you what overnight. You have to start a program for your whole body, basically.

Also, you may be thinking that you don't want to build so much muscle, just lose fat. But, your muscle has to be of a certain tone and size to "push back" against your skin to give you a defined and toned look. If you just do cardio to try and lose weight, you'll just make yourself skinny and not proportional. This is why building muscle is so key for everyone. You don't have to be a bodybuilder.

Also, your diet is just as important, if not more important, than your workout routine. If you work out all the time but still have a shitty diet, you won't develop muscle and you might not even lose that much weight. (If your diet is really terrible, you can work out all the time and still be fat and obese).

On the other hand, if your diet is locked on you can work out very little and still maintain a very good condition. Diet is key!!!!

The first thing you should know about your diet is you want to eat at least five or six times a day. Don't eat three big meals a day. Instead eat five smaller meals spread throughout the day, trying not to go more than 3 to 4 hours without eating. The reason for this is to keep your metabolism up. Going back to our caveman days when food was scarce, our bodies start to store calories in the form of fat whenever we go a few hours without food. To prevent this, you have to tell your body that it has no reason to store fat. So, you have to keep your stomach full all the time. It might seem odd to a lot of people, but losing weight does not mean that you should feel hungry, the opposite in fact. You have to eat often, but you have to eat the right things!!!

This doesn't mean that you just eat anything. You have to eat the right foods. And for someone who is trying to burn fat and build muscle (which is what the phrase "getting in shape" boils down to) this means a diet very high in protein, and very low in fat. The rule of thumb most people accept is 1.5 grams of protein per day for every lb of body weight. So if a person weighs 150 lbs, they should try to consume around 225 grams of protein a day. Protein is what muscle is built out of and it has the added benefit of requiring more calories to digest (metabolise) than other foods.

Obviously, if you are trying to cut body fat the last thing you want to eat are fatty, greasy or sugary foods. (Say goodbye to McDonalds and candy!) Also, you will need carbohydrates (grains, bread, fruits, etc.) for energy, but limit their intake as well, because they are eventually stored as fat in the body if not burned off for energy. Your diet should consist mostly of lean proteins (chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, egg whites etc.) and "good" carbs like fruits and vegetables. A lot of people add "good" fats to this as well, like peanuts and omega-3s, but if you are on a serious cut you may want to limit even these fats as well. Combined with a regular cardio/lifting routine, a clean diet of protein and good carbs (with lots of water!) will give you the results you are looking for, guaranteed.

Here is my advice to you in a nutshell:

--Follow the Starting Strength program religiously. This is pretty much all you need to know about lifting weights.

--Since you are trying to cut body fat, on the days you are not lifting add a good cardio routine. You don't need to do more than 30 min. at a time. (Look up "HIIT" if you are really serious about losing body fat.)

--Adopt a clean, high protein diet and eat at least five small meals a day, with a special emphasis on breakfast and your pre- and post-workout meals. Drink lots of water.

--Get lots of sleep (at least 8 hours a night, with a regular bedtime).

--Don't give up!!! Keep with it!!!

How to get in shape is not a mystery. It's not rocket science. It's actually fairly easy. In fact, I've pretty much laid out everything you need to do right here and provided you with the resources to learn more. The single greatest determining factor will be the effort you put out and if you stick with it. It's not impossible. It's actually fairly simple stuff. Just eat right and exercise right. That's it. It all depends on you.

17. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

Getting in shape takes 90% mental strength and 10% physical strength. Once you have your mind set on doing it the work you actually have to do isn't really that hard. It's getting in shape, not saving the world.

I've only just started out too and frankly it's not nearly as hard as I've always thought it would be. Plus you feel a whole lot better about yourself - physically and mentally.

18. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Some great advice above, just have one additional tip for cutting weight- long, comfortably paced cardio is ineffective and (if you're like me) horrendously boring. I'd suggest some sort of interval workout. A good one for beginners is a short treadmill workout:

5 minutes warm up @ 70% (of the fastest pace you can run for 1 min)
    1 min @ 90%
    2 min @ 70%
    1 @ 90
    2 @ 70
    1 @ 90
    2 @ 70
    1 @ 95
    5 minutes @ 75%
    5 minutes tapering off walking

After this you can do something of lower intensity like the stationary bike. After 5 successful workouts add an interval. I'd be lying if I said it was painless- quite the contrary- but it's fast and effective, especially when alternated with weights and balanced by a good diet.

19. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

1. Eat organic and try to be vegetarian only. Eat fresh raw fruit and vegetables when possible.

2. Sleep well and enough

3. Eat banana in the morning with plentiful of water, eat regular lunch
    no grease and sugar please. Eat dinner before 7pm and nothing after

4. Exercise buy a Nintendo Wii if you're too lazy to go to gym or too scared
    to get into open shower because of your "body image issue" or meeting
    some perverts there LOL.

5. No refine sugar, no sodas, no alcohol and nicotine, no "juice" except it's
    freshly squeezed from real organic fruits.

Draft saved Draft deleted