Tips to get in shape?

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Okay, here's the big secret on getting into shape: eat a PORTION and exercise regularly.

Portions are very key. A proper portion of protein is 4 oz, about the size of a deck of cards. This should be the biggest thing on your plate. I would also suggest cutting out calorie dense and nutrient poor foods, especially potatoes. At worst eat a sweet potato instead of a white potato. Try to cut out as much bread as possible. If you can't give it up, go for open-faced sandwiches. Switch from mayo to mustard. Try not to snack at all. If you must, have a piece of fruit. Take vitamins.

If you're overweight, the first thing to do is lose weight through cardio exercise. Work on strengthening with Nautilus later. Join a nice gym that is convenient for you to go every day. Find a cardio exercise that is challenging but tolerable. I would suggest Elliptical. Start doing about 30 minutes a day on a weight-loss program. Eventually add some more cardio, like 20 minutes on a bike or a treadmill. Work your way up to an hour a day. I really suggest planning to go every day because stuff will come up and you'll miss days, so don't worry about planning a rest day. After a few months, you'll notice dramatic weight loss. This is when you should start adding work with the weightlifting equipment.

This method will take you about 6 months to be noticeably thin, and probably about a year to look pretty cut and tight. It is very basic and not hard. You can eat what you want, just don't be a piggy. Don't expect results overnight - it takes a little time. Remember, there is no excuse to live life fat.

Best of luck to you.

patreus

Sexy Member
Media
To the OP:

I guess it just depends on what your goals are. What do you mean when you say you want to "get in shape?" Do you just want to lose a lot of weight, or do you want to improve your physique? If you want to look very skinny, then focus only on cardio and eat very little. If you're successful you will look anorexic. If, on the other hand, you want to have a physique that most people - men and women - regard as more masculine, more appropriate for a man then you need to build muscle as well, which means lifting weights and eating a plentiful, high protein diet.

To me, a man who is rail thin with little to no muscle mass is not "in shape." There is no reason to try and look like a body builder if you're not going to compete, but that doesn't mean that you don't want to build muscle. For most men to get the body they are looking for they have to build muscle.

1. Eat organic and try to be vegetarian only. Eat fresh raw fruit and vegetables when possible.

Eating organic is wonderful if you have the money. But, being a vegetarian poses a lot of problems for anyone who is trying to build muscle. Because muscle is built out of protein and various amino acids, cutting out meat or animal products like eggs, milk and cheese will make it virtually impossible for you to make the gains you want. I know that a lot of vegetarians are pretty healthy and not overweight, but they don't necessarily have the physique you may be looking for. Trying to gain muscle and burn fat while maintaining a vegetarian diet is like trying to win a game of basketball against LeBron James with only one leg and one arm tied behind your back. It's pretty much pointless.

3. Eat banana in the morning with plentiful of water, eat regular lunch
no grease and sugar please. Eat dinner before 7pm and nothing after

This all depends on when you go to sleep. If you go to bed right at 7pm (who does that?) it's ok to stop eating at 7. However, if you have a normal bedtime, say around 11pm, then you will be intentionally putting yourself into a catabolic state everynight, essentially sabotaging your muscle growth. Like I said in my above post, eat a small meal every 3 to 4 hours, to keep your metabolism up. For me, I always eat cottage cheese right before I go to sleep because of its casein protein, which digests very slowly over a period of hours, helping prevent muscle loss over night (also cottage cheese has plenty of BCAAs). If you are really serious about preventing muscle loss overnight, you could think about taking a casein protein shake right before bed.

4. Exercise buy a Nintendo Wii if you're too lazy to go to gym or too scared
to get into open shower because of your "body image issue" or meeting
some perverts there LOL.

Not to be mean, but this is terrible advice. I've played the Wii. It's really fun. It's a great game system, especially for kids or groups of people. But it will not make you lose any weight or build any strength whatsoever. Suggesting someone get a Wii instead of going to the gym is quite frankly idiotic. It's such bad advice that it's probably a joke. I hope!

If you're overweight, the first thing to do is lose weight through cardio exercise. Work on strengthening with Nautilus later.

Like I said above, this all depends on your goals. If you are only interested in losing weight, then sure, just do cardio. You will eventually look like you are anorexic. However, if you are interested in gaining any kind of muscle at all, to make your now thin body proportional and somewhat masculine in appearance, you have to build muscle as well. There is absolutely no reason to wait until you have lost a lot of weight to start lifting. Fat people can lift just as well at thin people! (Maybe even better in some instances.)

The thing to realize is that lifting weights also burns fat! If your goal is to burn fat and gain muscle then you must lift weights. If your weight lifting routine is good enough, you can even burn all the fat you want and not do any cardio. But, in any event, lifting is essential to any fitness program. And when you start lifting, Nautilus machines are not what you should spend the most time on. Follow the Starting Strength program, which is essentially barbell compound movements. It's all you really need starting out.

Also, if you did only focus on cardio for a few months you may find that when you eventually tried to start building muscle it would be much harder. It may not seem like it but former fat guys are often the best candidates for developing great strength and great physiques. This is because your body will transform your current mass (fat) into muscle. If you don't have any mass to transform (i.e. if you are very skinny), then you have to add that mass from somewhere else, by eating a whole lot and creating a huge caloric surplus. This is why products like "weight gainers" exist. Fat guys don't really need those so much, obviously.

Join a nice gym that is convenient for you to go every day. Find a cardio exercise that is challenging but tolerable. I would suggest Elliptical. Start doing about 30 minutes a day on a weight-loss program. Eventually add some more cardio, like 20 minutes on a bike or a treadmill. Work your way up to an hour a day.

It's great to go to the gym everyday. However, it is terrible for your body to work the same muscle groups over and over, day after day after day. You have to give your body time to recover!!! Otherwise, you will simply induce over-training and possibly a repetitive stress injury.

This is why I suggested in my post above that you work in lifting and cardio together, alternating days for each. If you are lifting weights properly, you will burn a lot of calories. Coupled with a reasonable cardio program, you both cut body fat and help develop your muscles at the same time without over-training or over-stressing any particular part of your body. If your goal is just to lose as much weight as possible and look absolutely emaciated, like a Holocaust victim or something, then sure, do only cardio every single day. But, if you want a healthy, proportional, masculine body, you must incorporate lifting and give your body enough time to recover.

Also, when you do cardio you absolutely do not need to do it for an hour, unless you're training for a marathon or something. If your goal is fat loss, you need to focus on getting your heart rate up. The best way to do this is short bursts at a very fast pace. This kind of training is called "HIIT" or High Intensity Interval Training. It basically boils down to running at a normal pace for a few minutes and then running at a very fast pace for a minute or two, alternating between different paces for the duration of your run.

HIIT is easiest on a treadmill, but if you don't have a treadmill you can go to any high school track, sprinting on the straight parts and jogging on the curves. Or you can even just go find a field somewhere and measure out 100 meters or so and just do sprints back and forth. Sdg475 put up an excellent post outlining a cardio routine that achieves this, and probably wouldn't last more than 20 to 25 minutes.

It really all boils down to your goals. If you only want to lose weight, then starve yourself and do hours of cardio every day. If you want a healthy, fit, strong body, then you must eat enough of the right foods and adopt the right weight lifting program. It's up to you.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
4. Exercise buy a Nintendo Wii if you're too lazy to go to gym or too scared
to get into open shower because of your "body image issue" or meeting
some perverts there LOL.

Not discounting the need for exercise - but this is a legitimate issue for many people with social anxiety issues.
It's just not possible to go to a gym with lots of other people in there.

Ive got a gym very close to my house that just opened, but I wouldnt dare darken their door since every time I go by it - its absolutely PACKED.
Just can't do it.

patreus

Sexy Member
Media
Rikter8,

I didn't mean to discount those issues. I only wanted to point out that if someone wants to get in shape, a Wii will do absolutely nothing to help them. It is not good advice!

I understand about body image issues. I used to have a lot of those myself. I would wear baggy clothing all the time, and I didn't enjoy being in large crowds of people. Eventually I just made the decision to get in better shape. I just said "fuck it." I'm going to do whatever it takes to look how I want to look, and I don't care what the other people at the gym think of me. "Fuck them" is what I thought. I'm here to train, to get better. I'll be nice. I'll be very respectful. But I don't give a rat's ass if they think I'm too fat or too skinny, or if I can't lift as much as they can or whatever the case may be.

Unless someone is very fortunate and has the space and money to build their own well-equipped home gym (power rack, a quality bench, full set of dumbbells, treadmill, cable machine), then sooner or later they will have to go to the gym. I think everyone -- all ages, genders, creeds and colors -- should be encouraged to go to the gym. Unless you have your own equipment, it is vital to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. What they should realize is that they really have no reason to be ashamed. Ideally the gym staff and the patrons should have a welcoming, respectful attitude. I've found that most of the time they really do, and all the worries I may have had were just in my imagination.

But, for those occasions or worries that won't go away, you just have to prioritize. Which is more important? Your health and your feelings about yourself, or what some asshole who you will probably never see again may or may not think about you? I eventually made that choice, and I'm glad I did.

bgr_thn_avrg

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess this kinda falls under appearance issues, if it doesn't then I apologize.

I've never really been the fit guy. I've always grown up a little chubby but not really fat. I'm kind of insecure about my body (mostly flab of a stomach) and would like to get healthy and in shape to the point where I'm comfortable not wearing a shirt. The main problem is my nipples come out and when I'm cold or they are rubbed they get hard.

Anyone have some good tips to establishing a routine to get in shape and happy with my appearence? I'd really appreciate recommendations on guides that help you get in shape and eat healthy, like a book to help establish weekly routines and goals as I am not motivated enough to do these alone. I'm not expecting to get a 6 pack, but I would like to have a flat chest or not have my nipples look so big.

Thanks!

Well the most important thing that most people miss when they try to get in shape is that they try to get in to this work out "play mode". Like, "look I'm working out because I'm working out and I'm going to look better." Do you know why athletes are in such good shape? It's because they have goals that require physical performance. It doesn't take any real muscle mass or tone to sit around or stand there. I suggest finding something athletic you are interested in and pursuing that. It doesn't have to be some field sport or anything like that. Mountaineering, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Parkour, Breakdancing, Urban Exploration, Extreme Sign Language, Whatever. If you are not so coordinated and not in good shape in general, then maybe something with personal goals rather than team effort would be a good place to start. Which is why I suggested things that are relatively independent. The idea is that you don't have someone getting all pissed off because you are impeding their game. You are active and have these goals, but you aren't just going to the gym and getting bored with these monotanus actions. Don't just work out, be athletic. You are also going to have to accept your body for it's natural rythms, functions, and shapes. You can be skinny or fat or whatever, and as long as you are trying to fight against it, you will fail every time. Accept yourself and use your strengths and start slow, but always push yourself. Just keep moving every day and stay active. Remember, you have your entire life. You don't have just a week or month or few months to acheive your goals. Pro body builders spend entire seasons and sometimes years trying to build just a few pounds of lean muscle and affect the smallest changes in their physiology. It's not about the time. If you accept yourself and strive for athletic performance, then one day you will find yourself in better shape without realizing you got there.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know that it can be all about diet. What you eat and when you eat. If I were to eat three squares, pay attention to what's on the plate and what time I'm eating, I could easily drop 5 lbs.

bgr_thn_avrg

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know that it can be all about diet. What you eat and when you eat. If I were to eat three squares, pay attention to what's on the plate and what time I'm eating, I could easily drop 5 lbs.

First of all I am not questioning your ability to give good advice, but your statement says "I COULD easily drop 5 lbs." Is this implying that if you tried you could do it, but you aren't trying? And if you do think it a good thing to lose 5 pounds, why aren't you losing it? Also, specific pound quotes are completely based on singular bio stats. If I personally eat fat, carbs and sugar all day, I don't gain a pound, I am actually more likely to lose a couple. And if I eat how you suggested, I won't see much of a weight difference in the positive, if any at all. This is because we all, each and every one of use, has a different biology.

Yeah food makes a difference. If you cut out all the artificial sugar and try to eat better quality carbs, you could see a big difference. That difference, however, may not be in weight. It may be in the amount of energy you have, or the type of structure your body re-builds. Just don't think diet will be the determining factor. Yes it is important, but you have to change your physical activities. Just how many people do you know that go on diets thinking they will change their life, and then end up right where they started, or in some cases worse off? Yes, eat the right things, but it's not a diet. It's your new way of living, good food and good activities.

I'm an athlete and am adamant about being active and eating right. I give this advice from personal experience and knowledge. I am not a professional health care representative. I do have extensive experience in being active and having the healthiest body possible. This is advice, and like all advice requires you to interpret and input anything in to your life as your see fit

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
There is no reason not to hit the gym everyday. You don't really need that long of a recovery from some light to moderate cardio. As for strength training, all you need to do is have different groups of exercises that work different muscle groups on different days. You can either hit areas around the whole body (better but harder to plan) or have leg day, chest day, etc. However you like...

Also, doing cardio will help you naturally strengthen. The muscles that you work to do the cardio will respond and tone out a bit over time.

B_ccc888

Experimental Member
Media
I don't like GYM because of the crowd and sharing sweaty germs infested equipments.

Nintendo WII can be a good device and investment for serious and fun workout.

Dance Dance Revolution, Active Outdoor Life Challenge and many other Wii Fitness software.

I eat fresh Banana for breakfast with plenty of filtered water, no greasy American style Bacon Egg and Cheese with milk thing.

Eat lunch with regular portion and skipping appetizer and dessert part.

Eat my dinner with more salad and fresh fruit with a lot of water also BEFORE 7 PM and go to sleep before 9.30 PM.

No snacking around. No cheesecake no Sodas.

Hard ? Not really but need a lot of dicipline.

Darkriff

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sorry - Wii is a toy. This is not an efficient plan to get in shape.

I agree with everyone that said that the Wii was bad advice. But you also have to keep in mind that his goals may be different than everyone elses. Does anyone that wants to SERIOUSLY work out, have a ripped body and eat healthy want to have a Wii to get in shape? Hell no. Would it be better than sitting on his ass doing nothing? Yes it would. Even if he were to shed but a few pounds using a Wii, it's better than doing nothing. Everyone is throwing their input as if he wants to take this head on with the utmost of seriousness. Perhaps he doesn't want to be so adamant about weight training and eating healthy. Some people are truly too lazy to do that. But even if a small suggestion helps someone live a healthier, perhaps not the healthiest, but a healthier life then why not?

Another tiny tidbit is using a smaller plate when fixing your meals. Studies have shown that using a smaller plate helps you recognize your portions better than using a larger one.

Again I'm not bashing anyone for saying it's bad advice, I couldn't agree more. But as I said, you have to be realistic in knowing that you don't know this guy, how serious he is about it, or how dedicated he will actually be. Any bit of advice is better than nothing. How serious this should be taken is completely up to the OP, and until he posts that he wants to take it to the max level, then I would say it's safe to assume the least amount of effort as possible. The last thing you want is for him to start thinking to himself, "Wow, I have to do all this to get into shape? Fuck this, that's too much work!" Then continue to do nothing.

No matter how small, anything will help. Once he establishes how far he is willing to go, then you can bash ideas that aren't feasible in reaching his goals.