Tired of wearing American Eagle....(aka fashion tips)

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by LGX, Oct 30, 2010.

1. LGX

LGX Member

Hey, I was just wondering what clothes out there are really nice and look more adultish instead of the rainbow colored assortment of AE? Don't get me wrong, I like AE, but alll of their clothes are the same. Reminds me of the 70s....

I was thinking about shopping at Express now. I like that they are more dress, but not overly dressy. I'm a 20 year old guy and don't want to look like I'm 50 so.....any ideas?

2. mthomson2020

mthomson2020 Member

Albums:
    can't go wrong with polo ralph lauren
    maybe lacoste

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The best advice I could possibly give you is go to a store without your friends. They will try to talk you out of anything that you might happen to like.
    Decide what look you are trying to achieve (maybe look through some magazines)
    Decide if you want your image to be sporty, sophisticated, elegant or more down to earth.
    Look for things that are not the latest fad but have some longevity in terms of style. Try on a variety of colors and styles. Buy the best possible quality that you can afford and make sure everything fits perfectly or have it tailored.
    Make sure that you are comfortable wearing your clothing choices and most important you really want people to see you not just what you are wearing.

4. alx

alx
    Gold Member

I go for Brands like Lyle and Scott, Two Stoned, All-Saints Simple vintage style, not in your face massive logo stuff. Just good quality clothing.

Military/ vintage is fashionable atm, as is blazers, checked shirts etc...

I do have a Two Stoned and All-Saints fetish atm

5. rangisrovus19

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Diesel makes the best clothing imo. But be prepared to spend a pretty penny.

6. MrHangman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Topman! Uniqlo! H&M!

7. LGX

LGX Member

I thought HM was a chic store...

8. LGX

LGX Member

Why the hell is nordstrom so expensive?

9. faby

faby New Member

well it all depends on how much money do u wanna spend!!!! lol give me a budget and ill give u some ideas =p

10. PacknThick

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just go to Macys dude, they got all the various brands and price lines. And go solo and stick with your gut feeling if u like it or not. Going with people, they follow you around and you feel rushed and too many damn opinions.

11. LGX

LGX Member

Well, I dunno. I might take one of my paychecks to buy some clothes. I just bough an Xbox 360 so maybe I'll spend that much. Though I never spend that much. I mean, its not like I don't have the money, but it feels like I'm overspending if I buy jeans over $30 or a shirt over $10....

12. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Theres your problem.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Stop into Barney's, Neiman Marcus or SFA and it will look like a reasonable price.
    If you want to look like a stylish adult you need to part with some cash. That's why I said earlier look for things that are not going to go out of style and buy better quality fabric and workmanship.
    I use something I call the Cost Per Wear factor (CPW) ie. if you buy something for $100.00 and wear it twice it's $50.00 Cost Per Wear, if you spend $100.00 and end up wearing it 100 times it's $1.00 CPW

14. D_Peverell Piledriver

D_Peverell Piledriver Account Disabled

I'm very partial to Polo Ralph Lauren. But, I guess I'm lucky in that regard as they have an outlet store about 10 miles from me. Good selection, quality, and reasonable price. Just avoid the "preppy look".

Stay away from Macy's and "Needless Markup" (Nieman Marcus) because they will rip off your $$$.

Never was fond of American Eagle.

"Needless Markup" also has an outlet store, but they still are way overpriced.

The "homeless look" that many dudes wear just doesn't cut it with the guys and gals.

Spend what you can afford and look as good as you can. It always pays off in the long run.

I purchased a Hugo Boss suit that I wore only ONE time for a job interview. "Dressing for Success" and my knowledge got me the engineering job I wanted. It paid off.

#14 D_Peverell Piledriver, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  15. D_Pomeroy Pokingstick

D_Pomeroy Pokingstick Account Disabled

Maybe even check out buys on ebay, you can get some really unique clothing that you may not find in your area. I recently purchased clothing from there and I was pretty happy with the results. Just make sure you get details on picking the right size.

I'm not a huge fan of American Eagle either, I think it is somewhat unoriginal even tacky to wear although not as bad as say Ed Hardy wear IMO.

Look at men's magazines like Esquire for men, GQ, etc and get some ideas. Even youtube has great video channels on men's fashion.

Keep your own style of course, but develop a more mature look. You don't have to break the bank that's for sure.

Good luck

16. faby

faby New Member

ok well if ur working with those numbers there's a store called XIOS their clothes are very trendy and very affordable maybe u should check it out i got amazing jeans from them for like $20 lol cant beat that

17. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The only place I have found good jeans for under $30 is the clearance rack at the Levis store in San Francisco.

You are going to need to spend a bit more on your clothes if you want more than the t-shirt and jeans look.

Find a friend who's style you like and let them pick out your clothes for you, that's what I do.

18. shayrossen

shayrossen Member

"Details" magazine is a good start - GQ is ok, but way out of line for most of us with budget constraints - agree with the Macy's recommendation - watch for sales. If there are outlet malls in your area, try those - Hilfiger, Polo, even Eddie Bauer at times has good stuff. I've found some cool stuff at Van Heusen, and Banana Republic - just depends on what's in your area.

19. jsn649

jsn649 Member

Just go with what you like. I've been going through the same thing lately. I was a strictly graphic tees and jeans guy, mostly AE stuff. Luckily I have a brother who goes through designer clothing worse than a woman. He's always changing his style and will usually give me the stuff he no longer wants or wears, even if he's only worn it twice. Basically a lot of expensive hand me downs lol.

Also my dad has tons of vintage clothing that's in good condition, which my brother and I pick from and match with our new stuff. Thanks to the two of them i've managed to change up my style a lot. I've definitely gone away from the teenage dress code.

20. outdoorsguy23

outdoorsguy23 Member

Even places like Kohl's or Younkers have cheaper stuff that is for younger people.

Draft saved Draft deleted