To Old Friends

Discussion in 'Fictitious Stories' started by soullessfire, Nov 7, 2005.

1. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

The phone woke me. At first I thought it was the alarm clock beside my bed, but the familiar green glow pointed out that it was just after 3:00 AM, way too early for it to wake me, and my brain finally woke up enough to make my hand pick up the reciever.

"Hello..."

Silence.

"Hello? Who's there..."

Silence. Again.

At this point I was just about to tell the phone to fuck off, that it was 3:00 am and that I was trying to sleep... Then 4 words. Just 4, but it was enough...

"Matt, it's me. Jason..."

It had been seven years since I heard that voice, yet in an instant I had a picture in my mind. Blonde hair, blue eyes, little half smile showing white, white teeth. We had been friends then; No, more than friends. Best friends. Something wasn't right with the voice though. It sounded strange, distant...

"Matt, you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm here Jace. What's up?" I replied.

"She's gone Matt... She's gone."

An hour later I was running down the stairs from my appartment, taxi waiting outside ready to take me to the airport... Sitting in the back of the taxi, my mind wandered back...

Jason had been my friend since primary school. Opposite in every way, it was a miracle that we had managed to stay friends for over 13 years. I'm as dark as he is blonde. He was tall and slim, I was a little shorter but much bigger built. He was always a joker, full of laughter and sunshine, whereas I'm more like a storm cloud, dark and moody.

From the moment we met, we were inseperable. We did almost everything together. Got drunk, got high, flicked through a skin magazine... You get the picture. We had even managed to get girlfriends together. Not that it lasted for me... I soon realised that I was more interested in seeing what the other guys were packing in the showers at school than I was in seeing her naked. Jason however, stayed with Kate...

We were both born in Northern Ireland. That's not hugely important i suppose, but had it been any other country, or maybe even any other time, I might still be there. Born in the late 70's, we had never seen any of the stuff that made news headlines worldwide. Ours was a fairly normal and happy childhood. However, it's always been a tough little country, and sooner or later the wrong people knew about me preferring boys and I left. Actually, maybe that's too strong a way to put it...

I had done well in my exams and was getting ready to go to university when I started getting things shouted at me in the street. Not that I'm camp or anything. You wouldn't be able to tell unless I let you know, but somehow they found out. Jason as always was there shouting back at them, but I really didn't want to spend my life like this... I had been accepted by a couple of universities, and to cut a long story short, had chosen Manchester. I guess the assholes who were making the threats just kept me from wanting to return, they weren't the reason I left.

Anyhow, I finished uni, got a job, worked my way up and set out with my own company after a few years. Which is where I am now. 27 on my next birthday, and I own a little web development company which is never going to make me a millionaire, but I do ok.

I'm still based in Manchester. Haven't been home since I left, though I've kept in touch with my family and friends.

Jason went to university as well, it's just that he stayed back home. A year or so after I left, the phonecalls stopped happening and Jason and I just drifted apart. Nothing special happened, no big fight, no anything really. We just moved on.

The taxi soon reached the airport, bringing me back to the present. I paid the driver and rushed through the rain into the terminal. 20 minutes later, I was sitting in the departure lounge, tickets in hand for a plane that would take me back to Belfast. Half heartedly watching the planes take off, a sudden thought came to the front of my mind...

Why had he called me? I mean out of all the people he knew, why me???

2. rob57

rob57 New Member

Excellent beginning. Keep going, please......

3. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

The flight from Manchester to Belfast takes just under an hour. More than enough time to re-run the earlier phone conversation several times in my head.

He hadn't said all that much on the phone really. Cried a little, but hadn't said much. His mum had died earlier that night...

His father (the twat) had left them both when Jason and I were in our early teens. It seems what he was looking for was only available in the arms of a younger woman. Jason's mother never quite managed to get over that particular point, and had hit the drink hard.

I never got the impression that it affected Jason overly much. I can remember joking with him about his mother being able to down a bottle of whiskey quicker than he and I could. I know it wasn't easy for him, coming home from school to find her out cold on the floor, sofa, bed... Stupid as it sounds, we had each other. I spent more time with him from then on, guessing that time out with me was preferable to time at home.

It's going to make me sound like a shit, but I began to get pissed off with him. One one hand, I felt awful about what happened and knew he'd be a wreck when I got there. On the other hand, he hadn't called, visited, written or anything in 7 years. Suddenly he calls and I'm on a plane like there's nothing wrong...

I was just coming to the thought that I could have gotten out of this at any point, and that maybe I wanted to see him again, maybe lay some old ghosts to rest, when the captain announced that we were about to land.

I'll not bore you with the details of passing through security and getting my luggage back. One thing I will mention, something I should have known (being a native): Never pass through customs wearing a leather jacket while carrying a briefcase. I may as well have had terrorist tattooed across my forehead!!

The airport lounges are fairly small, including the arrivals lounge, but I didn't see anyone I recognised after a quick scan. Just a few faces brave enough to be out of bed this early, no sign of Jason though...

I fished in my pocket for my mobile and began searching through the phonebook for the number he had called me from that morning. I was just about so press the dial button, when something made me stop and look up.

----------------------------
    Ok, before I continue, lets get one thing straight. We had been friends for a long time. In that time, Jason had always been the cute one. Cute like most gay guys go for. Boyish looks, floppy hair... I had never been cute. Handsome maybe, certainly not plain, but not Jason's standard either...

I had also never had a crush on him, never snuck a peek at his cock, never laid awake with nerves when he stopped at mine and we shared my bed. Certainly I loved him. I'm also sure he felt the same, but it was never... never romantic. You needed to know that...
    ----------------------------

He came around the corner as I looked up. If this had been a movie, there would have been music playing, soft focus camerawork, maybe it would have even been slowed down a little.

6'2", blonde hair (shorter now, still straw coloured), still slim, a little older looking, a little rough around the edges from lack of sleep. Christ, even the walk was the same; A little touch of a swagger, a little touch of bravado...

A few people turned to look. He had that effect. Somehow people just knew he was there and had to look. It used to make me laugh a little, how pathetic it was really, but he definately has a presence. I'll give him that.

Our eyes met, just for a second, and he kept looking. Once again he looked around and missed me completely. Third time he looked a little harder at me, and recognition finally dawned on him... That's when it happened. That infamous little half smile / slight head tilt thing he does. I had to laugh, it was just too damn corny!!

His pace quickened to a jog, and I set down my briefcase as he came near, ready to shake his hand. He kept coming though, past the handshaking distance, and threw his arms around me. It took me by surprise for a moment but eventually I returned the gesture and hugged him back.

He didn't let go, well past whatever length of time an appropriate hug lasts for, he stayed like that.

I heard him whisper "I missed you."

"I missed you too, mate."

After another few seconds he finally pulled away, moving his hands up to my shoulders and resting them there while he looked me up and down.

"Like the clothes..."

I muttered "Thanks."

His left hand still on my shoulder, he squeezed my arm at the bicep, then quickly pushed with his fingers at my stomach.

"Whatever you're doing, whatever your eating... you look amazing man! Never believed you'd look this good under the puppy fat!!"

We both laughed a little. I had been a little on the chubby side, but since my Gym membership card became my best friend, it's all turned into muscle. Thankfully.

"Think I felt a bit of a beer belly on you Jace... Looks like Kate's feeding you too well."

He looked down for a fraction of a second. At the very least, he wasn't with Kate anymore...

"I'll tell you later" was all he said. "Anyhow, the car's outside, we can talk on the way..." and picking up the case by my side, he turned and started walking towards the exit with me in tow.

4. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

Sorry if the lack of sex is bugging you so far lol Just felt like I wanted something different than the usual "with one glance at my 24" thick as a beer can cock he/she couldn't resist" stuff. Something slower paced, with a storyline ;)

Thanks for reading so far

5. GoneA

Gold Member

"Sorry...lack of sex....wanted something different...something...with a storyline."

YEAH...exactly...totally agree.

6. ThaitAss

ThaitAss New Member

Slower paced, and with a storyline, is wonderful when it's as well-written as this! Keep going.:)

7. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

Sorry Johnboy, only been in Lisburn 3 times, so I can hardly write about it lol

8. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

He looked totally wrecked. Once out in the daylight, it was much more obvious that he hadn't slept in a long while.

"Gimme the keys" I said as we stopped by his car.

"Why?" he asked.

I shook my head. "You're tired. I'm not coming all the way over here to have you wrap the car around a lamppost or something stupid. Now give me the keys and I'll drive." He didn't argue.

It makes me feel pretty smug when i think of the journey back. Nothing exciting at all happened, but he was fast asleep within 10 minutes of setting off. I was tired myself, but at least I knew I wasn't going to nod off behind the wheel. Thankfully, I knew where he lived, so I didn't have to wake him.

Coleraine is a small town on the north east coast, actually it's about 3 miles inland, but I'm not going to squabble. It's large enough to be fairly well signposted, but that's probably one of the few positive things I have to say about. Maybe that's just personal experience, but I didn't like the place anyhow.

Jason lives in what would be considered a fairly upmarket part of the town. Something I was extremely grateful for. I had been worried about having to "bump into" people I used to know. Having a stream of near strangers (now) prodding me for news to tell their friends in the pub wasn't high on my to do list. Thankfully I could skip the center of town completely, and was soon pulling into the driveway of his house.

Once parked, I turned to wake Jason. I took a few seconds to study his face before doing so. You could fall in love with a face like that, you know. Especially when he's sleeping... He didn't look as tired and worn at that minute, more like the face I had in memory. It was then that all the questions and anger I had felt on the plane just went.

I smiled. In other circumstances, I would have loved to have had one last night out with him. For old times sake. I was sure he'd promise to call, as would I, but I had a feeling that sooner or later the calls would stop. If only there was room for one good night out. Too much to drink, music and heads thumping together, and finally the walk home. Both a little drunk, walking together to get a taxi home. We were more honest with each other at those times than any other. Goofing about like kids as we wobbled our way along the road.

"Yeah, I missed you too..." I whispered, faintly nodding my head.

Reaching out, I shook him by the shoulder. "Come on Snow White, time to service the dwarves..."

------------------------
    I know; it's a crap line at best. The punchline to an even worse joke, that had somehow made it's way to being a private joke when one of us wasn't being attentive. Still, he giggled a little, once he woke up enough to get it. At least he still remembered that.
    ------------------------

I'll not bore you with the details of carting the bags in, or the chit chat we made while he sorted out a coffee for us. It's not important anyhow.

I asked if there were any decent hotels nearby. Thinking that my memory wasn't good enough to remember them.

"No, no. Honest" He said "you can stay here. I could do with the company... Only problem is that the back room was Mums, so... well it's not like either of us can use that one. Wouldn't feel right I guess."

I agreed. I had known his mum fairly well, and wouldn't have felt comfortable at all.

"I'll crash on the sofa, and you can take my room. It's still the same one."

I shook my head. "You can't just sleep on that sofa. It's uncomfortable as all hell. I'll just get into a hotel in town. It's fine."

A little pause. "Please..." He said "I'm gonna sound like a right twat, but I'm lost here on my own. The house..." He put his head in his hands, sighing. "The house is too quiet. Quiet is the last thing I need... I don't need anymore time to think, anymore people calling on the phone, or knocking on the door to tell me how sorry they are. Shit..." With that, he began to cry very softly.

Christ, to see him there so lost, so emotional... I didn't think. I put down the cup, closed the distance between us and put my arms around him. He tried to move away but I pulled him back. "Oi. We've been mates for too long, Jace. Don't you dare start acting like I'm embarrassing you... Come here." He moved his face in against my neck, his tears warm on my skin. I moved my head towards his a little, adjusting my arms around his back.

Neither of us said anything for a good ten or fifteen minutes and eventually he stopped crying and raised his head. I pulled back a little, keeping my hands on his shoulders and looking into his face.

"Sorry." He muttered.

I smiled. "You don't have to be, stupid. It's only me... Look if it makes things easier, I'll take the sofa. OK? You stay in your own bed. I can manage for a few days." he was still being too quiet, so I added another rubbish joke and even threw in an over the top wink for good measure. "Besides... I can find my way upstairs if i get any urges through the night." With that, I let go of his shoulders and went back to my coffee.

He laughed a little, enough to bring him back from wherever he was at least. Finally, I added a quick "I WAS kidding, you know!" just in case.

He smiled, saying "I dunno, you never can tell with your type. Always wanting to turn some poor straight guy gay."

"Don't flatter youself, Jace. You're not my type. Too pretty, too clean cut. I prefer them a bit more raw." I replied. I know he's joking, but just in case, it's best to stop him thinking too much.

"Anyhow." I continued "I really could do with an hours sleep, if that's ok?"

"Sure. You know where my room is..."

I was about half way up the stairs, when...

"Matt. This is gonna sound funny, but would u mind if I go for a lie down too?"

"Sure." I called back. "Not like we haven't shared before, is it? Used to have to do that every time we stayed at each others houses..."

So he locked up and followed me upstairs. The room has a big double bed in it, fairly new by the looks of it, and I flop down onto it. No point in getting changed for bed, so I just keep my clothes on. Jason does the same a few minutes later...

He laid down behind me on the bed. Me on my side, and him on his back... and the next thing I remember is my eyelids closing as I fell asleep.

9. freshmeat1984

freshmeat1984 New Member

Albums:
    Very nice story.. good writing... I got caught by the plot...

10. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

Sorry about the delay in posting again. Some stuff has come up, so it's gonna be a day or two more until I can post again.

Been thinking about the story a lot recently, so I have a lot more to add. just need to find the time to type it

11. hung10.5X6

hung10.5X6 New Member

*bump*

So where'd you go soullessfire? I know the server has been down the past couple days, but you can give us that update now. =D

12. hung10.5X6

hung10.5X6 New Member

I think he disappeared.

13. soullessfire

soullessfire New Member

I dunno... you turn your back for a bit and they send out the search parties lol

Sorry about the delay guys, real life intruding I'm afraid.

Good news is that it's xmas holidays soon, so I'll definately get the next installment up soon.

Thanks for your patience :)

14. D_Nearby69

D_Nearby69 New Member

15. blah_03

blah_03 New Member

OMG ! just found this! please we need an answer what happens!!

Draft saved Draft deleted