To The Straight Guy At Party Last Night

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
And then you remark, quite unexceptionably:
Should I be hurt that you just called me unexceptional? :frown1:

We just have to decide when poetic license tips a story into a piece of fiction ... albeit one with 'truth' behind it.
I suspect there is too much poetic license to say the story is factual.
But that don't mean there ain't a whole lotta troot in it, max.
I concur.
I took it as a satirical piece wit a whole lotta troot behind it.
It sure doesn't read like a newspaper account or a court transcript.

Are satirical or fictional pieces not allowed on Craigslist? In light of foregoing posts, I'm wondering.

Think we're still pretty much on the same song page.
I love being in harmony wit you, Huck. Do you want to take the top part or the bottom part?

A

AM_092

I thought it was going to be more about him hooking up with the straight guy! I was disappointed! He didn't need to post that on craigslist! Has he not tried to find out who he was from his mutual friends, or others who were at that party?

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

Account Disabled
Media
Just a side note.

Hmmm, maybe it is because English is not my first language, but I find it rather odd for a man to say that he has a husband. Does it mean that he is a wife to the other man? It doesn't make much sense to me, but again this is not my language and my custom. I think the best word here would be my partner. I know, I know, words are not perfect, they can't tell everything. Maybe boyfriend would be more adequate...

g_whiz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Awesome! In fact, I find it a little annoying that as someone who has also been through graduate school I've been to parties juuust like this. There are plenty of educated people out in the world that have never had their ideologies challenged personally.

And more annoyingly, plenty of people who assume that because you're a gay male and talking to them, you're somehow automatically hitting on them. The last time this happened to me, this drunk guy outside a bar was chewing my ear off for a half hour. Then proceeds to ask me if I was "that way" to which I just laughed and said "Guilty." He then pats me on the shoulder, sheepishly mentions he's "not that way" and stares at me for a moment, trying to figure out why I'm grinning.

"Dude, I really don't care what way you are. Can you finish your story so I can go back to my drink?"

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
... um, sometimes soprano ... but allus profundo ...
... that'd be the bassic point, I think, max ...:cool:
Soprano profundo? I don't thank so.

I'll be havin you singin coloratura afore you nose it, HuckaBuck.
Oh, we could make such beeyooteefull music togather.

A

AM_092

Just a side note.

Hmmm, maybe it is because English is not my first language, but I find it rather odd for a man to say that he has a husband. Does it mean that he is a wife to the other man? It doesn't make much sense to me, but again this is not my language and my custom. I think the best word here would be my partner. I know, I know, words are not perfect, they can't tell everything. Maybe boyfriend would be more adequate...

I know what you're saying. They're just words :) you can call your spouses whatever you want... my husband, my wife, my partner, my lover, my baby :) Regardless of my gender, if I 'marry' a guy, I don't see a problem with him being called my husband. We wouldn't be legally married but people (governments) say that civil unions etc. are the same (equal), then there shouldn't be a problem with me considering myself as 'married' and I can call my partner, more than just 'partner'. 'Husband' is different to 'Partner' because it gives the idea that you're in a more committed relationship that's legally recognised to some extent. 'Partner' has a similar meaning, but still different.

Regarding language, it's definitely different. For example, in my language, words like 'you' and 'i' are automatically gendered and given an age-context (so an older woman would say a different 'i' to a young boy etc). If male partners begin to call each other husbands more often, then the idea of it might not be as strange in a few years time.

g_whiz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
^ You know he secretly (subconsciously?) wanted you and was crazy conflicted.

Heh, I brush that sort of coyness off anymore. But he did come up and tip my hat as he was leaving by way of a compliment. He seemed like a really nice guy. A lot more on his mind than he was willing to say, perhaps, but I'm so not being the guy to be his lab experiment. Been there, not doing repeats.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
While I don't support homophobia in the least, I did not find that this article had 'the ring of truth' to it. In a social gathering like the one described, a man who is working on a Master's degree and is as articulate and interesting is not the same type of man that would becoming brutish and go up to complete strangers to 'teach the fag a lesson'. I think it more likely to be a piece of fiction that is sort of a cautionary tale. There is a great more acceptance of homosexuals in a setting like the one described. I think it was being asked to be pulled due to its fictional nature rather than the content.

Right, no conservatives have Master's degrees......

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just a side note.

Usually in the situation where one guy calls the other his "husband" his partner calls HIM his husband also.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While I don't support homophobia in the least, I did not find that this article had 'the ring of truth' to it. In a social gathering like the one described, a man who is working on a Master's degree and is as articulate and interesting is not the same type of man that would becoming brutish and go up to complete strangers to 'teach the fag a lesson'. I think it more likely to be a piece of fiction that is sort of a cautionary tale. There is a great more acceptance of homosexuals in a setting like the one described. I think it was being asked to be pulled due to its fictional nature rather than the content.
really?

i don't think that going to uni suddenly cures homophobia.
i've known some perfectly vile people who come across as intelligent and interesting until you cross them.