To those w/ Computer knowledge:

Ecchi

Experimental Member
Media
OK, I'm stumped. I just updated the drivers on this thing. I KNOW it's a DVD+RW drive, it says in on the front of the damn drive and in the hardware profile. Yet I've been trying to get Roxio to burn stuff to the DVD-Rs I have, and whenever I insert the DVD-Rs into the said drive, Roxio acts as if there's nothing there, as does Nero.

WTF? Any techies here wanna tell me what is wrong with this thing?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Ecchi@Mar 11 2005, 06:52 PM
WTF? Any techies here wanna tell me what is wrong with this thing?
[post=290231]Quoted post[/post]​

Alas, I think I can.

With recordable DVD's, we're back in the VHS vs. Beta era. There are two* competing DVD formats, and they're not compatible with each other.

One of them is called "DVD+R", and the other is called "DVD-R" --- believe it or not, the punctuation is all that differentiates the formats! There are some dual-format recorders on the market that will record to either type of disc, but it sounds like yours is not one of them.

If your drive says "DVD+RW", then it can record on DVD+R discs as well as DVD+RW discs (the "W" indicates the disc can be erased and reused), but not DVD-R discs.

The technical difference between the two formats is that in the DVD+R specifications, the hardware is responsible for formatting blank discs, and in the DVD-R specifications, the application software handles the formatting instead.

This article describes the different formats in a little more detail.

-----------------
*In fact, there are more than two formats, but all of the other formats have a tiny niche in the market and you're not likely to encounter them.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mindseye is right. If your drive only burns DVD+R discs (and the documentation will tell you), there's no way to make it burn DVD+R onto a DVD-R disc. Some DVD+R drives can read DVD-R or vice-versa, but not burn them. This is a real pain in the ass, but if you keep your names straight, you should be OK. Your DVD-R blank discs are worthless with that drive.