To uphold the TOS or to control the content and character of the site?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

It is the former for me, for what it's worth, but I think we are in danger of seeing the latter.

Sorry, I am talking about moderation.

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Isn't the purpose of the ToS to control the character and content of the site? I never thought there was another real reason. Other than covering the owner's behind a little bit.

3. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Moderation is the latter. The ToS is the fig leaf.

4. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I agree with Vince, although we seem to be seeing less of the former and more some-kinda-freestyle-shit.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I would say that the contributors control the content and character of the site, subject to the TOS in terms of legality and acceptable behaviour.

I think that you can see this in some sections when certain members are excluded or choose to leave.

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

And the owner pulls all the strings?

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Rawbs said it first, though in most cases I think it's more body armor than fig leaf.

8. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

This just looks like more Mod sniping in sheeps clothing, but for what it's worth I think Vince has got it right. By proscribing certain kinds of use the ToS clearly indicate the character of the site, members contribute to that character and Mods insure that users do not use the site in ways which are contrary to that character.

9. Drifterwood

Gold Member

How you see it, is your choice. I have never sniped at Mods, not in six years. What it is, is concern that we have something of an exodus, voluntarily or not, of many posters who make this site a bit special for many people.

I'll take it that you are wishing to become a Mod.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only time I've seen temporary "regional" (ie: not complete but restricted access to certain fora) bans have been due to behavior (which can and sometimes does mean tone, not just word choice).

People leave for lots of reasons specific to that individual, but it's always because they either regret having said something or no longer feel welcome to post what, where and when they choose: there's some overlap there, too, occasionally.

Walk-offs, IMO, should not request that their account be closed, especially in the heat of the moment. I've come and gone more than once, but the integrity of my total post history remains intact.

I've never made an effort to get to know the owner here, as he remains rather masked and oblique to the masses (I've had lots of bosses like that, so I understand the low profile thing). If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason why this board has two admins is because the lion's share falls on their laps.

But I honestly don't know know: just know how it appears.

11. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Never? I'll take you at your word on that anyway. No I do not wish to become a Mod :rolleyes::biggrin1:

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mouth is too big and my fingers too loose to be a mod. I wouldn't make it more than a few minutes at best. :tongue:

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hilly-

Trust me on this one. DW can be sarcastic and, occasionally willfully obscure, but he's maybe the least disingenuous and least passive-aggressive member of the board, right up there with HG.

When he says something, he means it, and it always comes after contemplation and reflection (unless he's possessed of the most astonishingly extemporaneous wit I've ever seen).

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You should get out more. :tongue:

15. luka82

Gold Member

Drift, nice seeing you post again:):):)

16. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is a private business. Maybe the business model works. :confused: Galleries are probably the chief draw for the overwhelming number of visitors and members. The fora are engaged by a much smaller portion of the membership, I would guess. I used to be here for the lively discussions and fun.

If certain popular posters are discouraged from being here, either through bans or by making the place less attractive via immoderate moderation, then we can make our wishes known, air our disgruntlement, and try to make it more like the kind of playground we desire.

We can also choose be here less. Or not at all.

17. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I agree regarding the walk-outs, unless people get to a point where they can not control how much time they are spending here.

Perhaps now would be a good time for someone to set the record straight as to what are the definitions of ownership, administration, moderation and membership.

Let's not tempt fate eh? I mean, I am off again soon. Let's hope it's me who decides when :smile:.

18. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Must let the Drifter drift... :240:

We keep seeing new posters on the forum side of the place, and a goodly number of them seem to have working wits.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

Well, if the business owner has rules. The members and guests have to abide by the rules. Members and guests have to stop provoking admins and/or moderators trying to regulate the experience here. Members and guests have to get along better with each other here as well.

Maybe we are living some weird times and we are acting weird because of them. That is a possibility but the members and guests of LPSG are responsible for the content. We are responsible for the attitude and the ambience here. If people want a site that is welcoming and supportive...be welcoming and supportive.

If people don't feel welcomed here...and supported here...they leave and don't come back. Some decide not to contribute as much content or post less than usual. Some find other sites that they feel happiest. Or maybe get themselves banned so that they don't have to be here.

With the internet as it is, you can have a few wild cards come along and ruin the internet experience here. That is sad. There are many people on here that want a nice experience here chatting and writing with some really nice people. And a few folk come along and make things difficult.

I don't agree with a lot of members' content. I don't agree with a lot of topics discussed here.
    But I deal. I am still here. I miss the some of the banned members. I miss members that leave and don't come back.

But every member and guest here is responsible for everyone's experience here. There rules are there to regulate that experience so things can be fun.

20. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think you are right about the membership contributing character, but the content is pretty much proscribed by the rules and the title of the site.

I have no clue about the model or mission statement used to run the business. Or if it is even a business. Maybe it's a hobby given the volunteer work that the mods put in. How clued in is the owner is to the daily content? I've been here three years and from the outside he seems absentee. Once in a while he makes an appearance :popworm: on a technical matter or when the natives are particularly restless. Maybe Rob just likes databases? It's all very mysterious.

I reckon that the posted content, other than that directly related to the main topic, doesn't matter much. It's about cock and pussy and as long as there is an abundant and free supply of what sells best in America, the rest can take care of it's self.

I mean if the membership that posts was all that important, if it were about more than cock and pussy and monthly renewals, mickey and many others would still be here. Nor would there be spin offs of disgruntled members looking for community.

As a moneymaker, it doesn't fit any model I am aware of. As a community, it's got its up and downs, but usually it's quite dysfunctional.

#20 vince, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted