To US students Beethoven's a dog, Michelangelo a virus

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by maestro071, Aug 18, 2010.

1. maestro071

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Shows what they know, Michelangelo was a ninja turtle.

3. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOL

Let's just hope the percentage of students actually GRADUATING from universities is less...Although that may be too much to hope for

4. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

That's quite the bark Beethoven's got.

5. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Universities are a joke these days -- just big businesses about giving free rides to those who run a ball around a field.

College degrees have 0 value in our society, unless it allows you to practice a practical profession (accounting, nursing, etc).

I know rednecks that make zillion times more than my philosophical friends (not that learning for learning's sake is really about making money:biggrin1:)

Suck my big peter, universities!

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    To each, his own.

Finishing a four year degree is not always an easy thing for many students. A university is not only academically challenging, there are also really heavy financial and emotional pressures that come into play. A BA or BsC degree may or may not be a useful thing these days, but it does say to me that this person had the character at 22 years old to stick to it and complete it when they could have had a job or being out having fun every night or what ever. My kid had to study really hard to make it though her school, there was no free ride.

I have a working life that i really enjoy and if I had not gone to university, it would not have turned out this way.

Making zillions of dollars is not everyone's end all and be all you know. And in any case every report I've read on the matter shows that a people with university degrees earn more money on average than those with a HS diploma.

7. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Making zillions of dollars has never been my goal, either.

I have a Master's in linguistics, so you're not talking to someone who has never gone to university (got my Master's in Australia).:biggrin1:

I'm talking more about universities in the US anyways. I feel sorry for the serious students who come out with so much debt and no job.

8. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Universities in this country can still suck it.

#8 bigbull29, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    meh those studies tend to be so inflated. I spent years working in the European educational systems. Trust me, compared to other countries, the average US student has such a better world view and common knowledge base than those in most of the countries these studies say are so far ahead of us.

I did think it was funny that they pointed out that most college freshmen this year will have never used a corded phone in their homes.

10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    In my experience, there are very few things more treasured than a worldly, educated acquaintance.

11. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    I lived in Europe (UK and France), and never saw the youth as better educated. The French are a bit more philosophical in general than Americans, but they're taught to be that way. I wouldn't say they're more worldly or "smarter" overall.

Education-wise, Australians didn't impress me, either (lived there 2 years).

So, when are we meeting?

12. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Boyo, you were barely alive when the turtles came out the first time round :wink::smile:

13. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anti-intellectualism is all the rage. :smile:

(this treed is like sily)

14. maxcok

Gold Member

So true. As is incompetency, underachievement and illiteracy.

(civulizashun as we no it is doomd)

15. lucky8

Gold Member

I agree with this notion. I recently graduated 8 months ago with a double major in finance and accounting, and I really feel like it was a waste of time. I was one of the very few people in my classes that actually read my textbooks. Everyone else just crammed the night before a test using only the powerpoint slides....and time and time again, after spending 5 hours reading and comprehending what I was reading, I would get an 88 or 89 on a test, whereas my friends would just study the powerpoint slides for an hour or 2 and get an 80....the thing is, an 89 and an 80 are both B's when your school doesn't have a +- system....bullshit I say.

On top of that, just about every decent job offering I come across says "3 or more years of experience required" More bullshit. I forewent 5 years of work experience to obtain my degree, and suddenly that's worth nothing to employers. If I would have just started working full time out of high school, I would have a pretty decent paying job by now. But instead, some dumbfuck who doesn't even know what GAAP stands for is more qualified than I am just because he worked at the front desk of an accounting firm for 3 years after high school? Bullshit. A Bachelor's degree, for the most part, is no longer worth it. There's even a new lady that just started working at my current employer who has a double major in accounting and finance, an MBA, and a CPA, and she's making $10 an hour because "she doesn't have work experience" WTF? She is way more qualified to do ANYTHING than most people in my city, yet she's making $10 an hour? WTF!?!?!?! She probably has at least $60,000 of student loans....and she's making $10/hr. The world is a mess right now, and I doubt it gets better any time soon...

16. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I could not disagree with you more. I'm born and raised in NYC...I've lived in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Hamburg and have my homebase at the moment in Vienna. I travel extensively with my job and I've found that Americans in general are not even in the same league as most Europeans generally, as far as international awareness, facility with languages and common knowledge.

I actually don't trust you...how many years and exactly which European educational systems did you work in and in what capacity?

17. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think that European youth are in general better educated than Americans. And the fact that they are more linguistically aware is mainly because the interdependence and close proximity between the little countries has always led to greater linguistic awareness and multi-lingualism. It's not something you can really give them credit for.

However, you will find more adults who enjoy intellectual conversation in France and Germany than in North America, whether they really know a lot more or not. In France, it is all really due to the philosophical thinking that is introduced to French students at the junior-high level and then culturally encouraged thereafter. I can't speak well for the other countries (except for the UK) and don't know about the other countries, but probably a little less intellectual overall than those already mentioned.

Sorry, but the educational system in the UK is not impressive. The private schools are ok, but who can afford them?

And, by the way, there is no idea of a liberal arts education at the university level in Europe.

18. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Albums:
    Young people know who Beethoven was. This is a silly, attention-grabbing lead-in. Nothing scientific here.

19. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know, buddy, it's maddening. I fully sympathize with you.

That the woman with no experience at your firm making $10/h is truly more common than we want to believe.

There are kids with "no education" in their 20's bringing in megabucks where I live (doing blue-collar jobs that require minimal vocational training). It's not just about the money for me, but the big-time respect that these crotch-grabbing, chew-spittin' rednecks get in their entourage/community. Sure, it takes all kinds to make a world, but still...

I have a cousin in college who wants to learn about as much as the 16-year-old boy racers in a country town. She's anything but an intellectual, and she's got zero business in college (I think she's want to be a FIS-ED teacher).

I've always taken learning so seriously, but have become quite discouraged with the age we're living in. I say say to myself, "Why do we even have universities nowadays?" Were universities not originally intended to not just train people to be professionals, but to foster learning for learning's sake?

And, yes, there should be some societal reward and respect for being a true intellectual in our world.

Nothing gets my feathers more ruffled than seeing people being mocked for trying to learn. What a sin!

#19 bigbull29, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  20. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I'm not going to disagree with you strongly about the UK education system, which has taken a dive in recent decades, but I know from personal experience that Germans, Scandinavians and Iberians (Spanish and Portuguese) have excellent education systems which produce a populace which is in general extremely intelligent and well informed.

I'm sort of shocked to see you write off multilingualism so casually too, I don't think you really understand European multilingualism at all, and it sounds like you're really just trying to justify the lack of language facility in most Americans by belittling it in Europeans.

I don't think there's any evidence that Liberal Arts Education is best taught at university rather than earlier in life. Besides from what I can tell it's teaching in US universities seems to produce a lot of people (though by no means all) with very superficial understanding of a variety of subjects which they then presume they are expert in when they really aren't.

Ultimately I don't think there's a useful comparison to be made between US and European Universities, they are too dissimilar.

Draft saved Draft deleted