Today in Wingnuttery II - Arizona

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In probably one of the most discriminatory laws ever passed in the last few decades, the new legislation passed in Arizona (SB 1070) makes it a misdemeanor to lack proper immigration paperwork. It also requires police officers, if they form a "reasonable suspicion" that someone is an illegal immigrant, to determine the person's immigration status.

Arizona passes strict illegal immigration act - latimes.com

And our country gets even stupider... :eek: :rolleyes:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Halt! Ihre papiere bitte!

"The chief principle of a well-regulated police state is this: That each citizen shall be at all times and places ... recognized as this or that particular person."

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is also the same state that proposed a "Pro-Birther" bill (HB 2441) which requires people to produce birth certificates, ON REQUEST, in order to have their names added to the ballot.

It totally feeds into the paranoidal belief that our government is so inept that it would fail to do something as simple as checking whether or not someone running for office is eligible to do so. It's as if Congress is a 21+ night club and they're afraid that the bouncer is going to let in some underaged girl just to impress her. Talk about a complete waste of legislation.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
While I agree that illegal immigrants are criminals, in that they have broken the law by coming here illegally- and that they should be deported- enforcement should be focused on the companies and people hiring illegal immigrants. Make the heads of said companies criminally liable for hiring practices, and watch the market for illegal immigrant labor dry up. This particular law is bad because it doesn't explain what "reasonable suspicion" is, and potentially could require EVERYBODY to carry around proof of citizenship. Apparently, an AZ driver license is sufficient proof, because they require proof of US citizenship to get one- but California does not, so would I be required to carry around my US passport if I ever happen to be driving around in Arizona? I'm sorry, but being required to carry around "papers" strikes me as oddly Sovietish. Rest assured, that if this bill becomes law, the ACLU will file a lawsuit faster than you can say Prop 187. This WILL be declared unconstitutional.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, just and FYI. The Grand Canyon is pretty, but el cañon del cobrar (Copper Canyon) that is between the cities of Chihuahua and Los Mochis and cuts deep into the Chihuahuan Sonoran deserts is bigger and a lot more interesting. It has yet to be plugged up with dams. So, why not boycott Arizona?

What's so amusing is that if you are Spanish (as in "from Spain") and you vacation in Arizona, you'll have no problem easily navigating the State speaking only Spanish with legal residents of that odd part of the USA. Remember, it shares it's southern border with Ewetaw and weirdness tends to be infectious.

And I tend to agree with Tallpaguy, if you clamp down on those businesses (and folks looking for a cheap live-in housekeeper) and place heavy fines on their complicity with illegal aliens, the problem will quiet down rather quickly.

Arizona is one of those amusing States where residents of Mexican/American heritage enjoy acting racist against Mexicans who show up on the north side of the border.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Phoenix is the most random city ever. A huge city plopped in the middle of the desert. Phoenicians and their fellow Arizonans literally invade Southern California during the summer, and love to drive 20 mph below the speed limit in their oversized SUVs with McCain/Palin stickers on them, and take up all the parking spaces at the beaches. It gets EXTREMELY annoying- but alas, we need their tax dollars.

Reactions: Toeflmeme

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Phoenix is the most random city ever. A huge city plopped in the middle of the desert. Phoenicians and their fellow Arizonans literally invade Southern California during the summer, and love to drive 20 mph below the speed limit in their oversized SUVs with McCain/Palin stickers on them, and take up all the parking spaces at the beaches. It gets EXTREMELY annoying- but alas, we need their tax dollars.

I havent seen a McCain/Palain sticker in ages. I do see some Gore/Leiberman stickers still out there.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^I've seen plenty of McCain stickers still around here... And a number of Obama ones too. No Gore/Loserman ones though. Are cares that old even still on the road?

(on an aside, Gore lost my vote when he picked asshole Loserman, just like McCain lost any chance of getting my vote when he picked retard Palin)

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
The day is coming when "to protect us" we are going to be forced to present "our papers" when we cross state lines within the United States. This kind of insanity has already been discussed.

In Arizona we have a Sheriff with WAAAAYYYY too much power who remains in his position of abuse simply because he has too much dirt on all the local politicians who could remove him.

In Utah, we have serious talk of removing all homosexuals from the state and incarcerating those refusing to leave in concentration camps.

Oklahoma has their problems, and it goes on and on.

The news hit New Mexico News today and one poster was right it is already headed for Court to be overturned.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Not that I don't love you, FK. But do you have a link for that?

It was an idea proposed by some Eagle Forum fringe folks in Salt Lick City a few weeks ago. The Salt Lake Tribune will charge for a search. But the The Salt Lake City Weekly, see: http://www.cityweekly.net will probably still have a reference to the one or two-day hub bub that gays should be separated from mainstream Ewetaw society by encouraging them (us) to move out of the State or be incarcerated in camps where we can't "infect" the young with our immoral behavior.

It WAS a sound bite that even captured the notice of Joe.My.God at blogspt.com It will take some time to dig up, but I'll be happy to look for it. It was both outrageously funny and frightening at the same time.

As for the Arizona's new "papers please" law, if you really want to piss people off in Arizona AND Ewetaw, speak Spanish in a restaurant with other friends who are nor are not hispanic. Arizonans will yell at you to "Speak 'Mericuhn." Ewetawns go a bit further and take it upon themselves to point out that you're not speaking the "official language of the USA." However, these same gabachos have no problem hearing waiters, waitresses, and kitchen staff speak Spanish in a Mexican restaurant.

Last edited: