Today in Wingnuttery - Phyllis Schlafly

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I don't know what to file this under, but if anything it needs to be catalogued near the "stupid" section.

Meet Phyllis Schlafly, a noted author and conservative pundit who is famous for writing a book to boost Barry Goldwater and campaigning against the Equal Rights Amendment. In a recent fundraiser in Michigan, Schlafly took shots at another social demographic... unmarried women.

"Unmarried women, 70 percent of unmarried women, voted for Obama, and this is because when you kick your husband out, you've got to have big brother government to be your provider... Yes, I said that. It's true too. All welfare goes to unmarried moms. They are trying to line up their constituency for Obama and Democrats against Republican candidates."

My father unfortunately died when I was six, leaving my mom to be a widow for the mass majority of my life. She raised 5 other children besides myself on her own and bent over backwards to do it. She didn't feel the need to remarry someone at random or go on some desperate witch hunt for "love" just for the sake of taking care of her own. And yes, at some point she did need government assistance. Most people who would suddenly find themselves alone to raise several children after being a dedicated stay at home mom for so long would have to and there is no shame in it. The fact that this uneducated fossil of a pundit would be this desperate to take a shot at the current administration is absolutely ridiculous.

2. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Omg rofl :chairfall:

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

4. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Oh, good God, I didn't know this nutcase was still alive.

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why are we even paying attention to her?

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's why:
    Democrats plan to jump on the 75 Republican candidates for federal office that Schlafly's Eagle Forum has endorsed and donated to -- a list that includes Todd Tiahrt in the Kansas Republican primary for Senate, Ken Buck in the Colorado Republican primary for Senate, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) and his Senate Conservatives Fund and Sen. David Vitter. Already, reporters in Vitter's home state of Louisiana are getting releases from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee pressing them to ask Vitter if he agrees with Schlafly. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is doing the same thing to Eagle Forum-endorsed House candidates, painting Republicans on dozens of ballots -- including Rep. Michele Bachmann and Scott Rigell in the competitive VA-02 race -- as "extreme" and saying the candidate should refuse Schlafly's endorsement.

Dems Call On GOPers To Renounce Phyllis Schlafly Over Remarks About 'Unmarried Women' (AUDIO) | TPMDC

7. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Very interesting. I can speak from firsthand experience that Ken Buck is actually a really nice guy. However, that's not why you put people in office and Ken Buck is NOT who Coloradans should send to the Senate. This is the same guy who called birthers "dumbasses" for repeatedly asking him about President Obama's birth certificate in open forums AND THEN apologized to those birthers when the story got out.

I can't abide by that kind of pandering. Birthers are dumbasses and I think most people agree that that particular ship has sailed.

Schlafly's comments are just plain stupid -- she thinks she's being controversial because she's willing to say something ridiculous like that instead of recognizing she's controversial because she's willing to say something that ridiculous. It's just more divisive politics in a different flavor.

8. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    And I hope everyone realizes that "unmarried women" is just the new slang for black single moms. Just like "states rights" is the new slang for "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."

9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    This

10. houtx48

Gold Member

That old hay bag is still alive?

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Phyllis Schlafly is a living fossil. Just hearing her name has put me on a slow burn since I was a teenager. Among the strangest facts about her is that, although a bitter opponent of GLBT rights, she has a gay son.

12. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

When I visited my friend in St. Louis, he clued me on how the Schaflys made all of their money -- through beer -- and he also shared that her relatives in that industry all continue to scoff at how crazy she's become over the past few decades.

13. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I know, right?!

And he's one to be proud of. :rolleyes: They seem to have much in common:

She was married to attorney John Fred Schlafly, Jr., (1909–1993) for 44 years until his death. They had six children: John, Bruce, Roger, Liza, Andrew, and Anne.
    In 1992, their eldest son, John, was outed as gay by Queer Week magazine.[ Schlafly acknowledged that he is gay, but that he embraces his mother's views.

14. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  15. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Thank God she gets so little airtime these days

16. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    John Schlafly is a real piece of work:

In case anyone was unaware of it, Andrew Schlafly founded Conservapedia, a website to which I refuse to supply a link, as it's a borderline hate site.

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's okay: you can read all about the Schlaflys at Encyclopedia Dramatica:

18. sbat

sbat New Member

I thought dear Phylis was a feminist? Where's the love for her fellow women?

19. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You know, that's one claim I don't believe she's ever made.

20. sbat

sbat New Member

She always came up as required reading whenever we had a feminism unit in a history class in high school. I just assumed guilt by association.

Draft saved Draft deleted