Tom DeLay

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, an indictment is not a conviction. No doubt he will claim ignorance to "what those dirty rotten attourneys" were doing and come out okay. Having so few checks and balances is very dangerous to our system, I have a feeling this will just be another in the long line of exposees of Republican misconduct in office that gets shoved under the rug. We'll see, but I'm not too optimistic.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Oct 4 2005, 05:04 PM
Well, an indictment is not a conviction. No doubt he will claim ignorance to "what those dirty rotten attourneys" were doing and come out okay. Having so few checks and balances is very dangerous to our system, I have a feeling this will just be another in the long line of exposees of Republican misconduct in office that gets shoved under the rug. We'll see, but I'm not too optimistic.
[post=348769]Quoted post[/post]​

You are absolutely correct! The number of ethical and legal violations since George W has been president boggle my mind! There were some in the Clinton white house, but the moral Republicans took care of them. They are not nearly so quick to act when it is one of their own.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Meanwhile the political divide becomes a chasm. I am truly concerned that so many americans are willing to just blindly follow based on party lines. This is one way the I feel Republicans differ from Democrats, as a whole. Republicans are far more willing to just accpet at face value that anything their leaders say is honest and true. Democrats tend to be more skeptical, IMHO. The Republicans in office now are insulated by a majority of their fellows, and nearly half the voting population that thinks questioning is "anti-American", we are so fucked!

Balance1771

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Zora,

I couldn't agree with you more. We are living in an era where questioning authority is quickly labeled "unpatriotic". It is sad that people feel the need to blindly follow leadership, from either political party, without ever wondering if the decision is truly good for the public.

...and Tom DeLay... man it's about time!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Um, I don't think "it's about time," I think it's "WAY past time." This scum has slipped out of the last 4 scandals I can remember being revealed about him. Over the last 3 years, he just simply claims innocence or ignorance, and everyone forgets about it.

I was looking at another board today. One of the idiots had the gall to post (and Madame, this reflects back on your party-line comment) that Mr DeLay is a born-again Christian, and therefore could not possibly be committing any wrongdoing. "Those immoral Dem/libs [sic] are simply trying to discredit him, because he is a man of high moral character."

This is what is so frightening to me. All someone in government has to do is claim to be christian and conservative, and that automatically gets them unquestioned backing by a terrifyingly large segment of our population. Blatantly unethical, immoral, and law-scoffing "conservatives" go off unscathed.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Oct 4 2005, 06:36 PM
Um, I don't think "it's about time," I think it's "WAY past time." This scum has slipped out of the last 4 scandals I can remember being revealed about him. Over the last 3 years, he just simply claims innocence or ignorance, and everyone forgets about it.

I was looking at another board today. One of the idiots had the gall to post (and Madame, this reflects back on your party-line comment) that Mr DeLay is a born-again Christian, and therefore could not possibly be committing any wrongdoing. "Those immoral Dem/libs [sic] are simply trying to discredit him, because he is a man of high moral character."

This is what is so frightening to me. All someone in government has to do is claim to be christian and conservative, and that automatically gets them unquestioned backing by a terrifyingly large segment of our population. Blatantly unethical, immoral, and law-scoffing "conservatives" go off unscathed.
[post=348796]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. Sometimes I feel like I am alone in my thoughts. So many of us are afraid to publicly tell what we think about this christian-conservative and neo-fascist group. In my many years of living, I have only noted the McCarthy era to be as respressive to free thought in America.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Sabln7+Oct 4 2005, 04:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sabln7 &#064; Oct 4 2005, 04:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DC_DEEP@Oct 4 2005, 06:36 PM

[post=348796]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. Sometimes I feel like I am alone in my thoughts. So many of us are afraid to publicly tell what we think about this christian-conservative and neo-fascist group. In my many years of living, I have only noted the McCarthy era to be as respressive to free thought in America.
[post=348835]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Ah, my friend, you will find that I am only one of several VERY vocal opponents of the direction our current administration is taking this country. Unfortunately, at this specific time in my life, I am unable to be a full-time activist - but watch for me in the national news sometime in the next 10 or 15 years (if my beloved country lasts that long with the conservative activist supreme court judges we have now.)

Some of the issues I intend to force include: 14th amendment rights for same sex (or any other) couples (or individuals), banning pork-barrel lawmaking, and eliminating the idea of "sovereign immunity" of the government, from the municipal level to the national level. My list goes on, but my basic platform is constitutional supremacy. If you can read and understand our current constitution,, then you understand where I am coming from.

Once I am Dictator-Lord of the Universe, I intend to put Madame Zora in charge of internal affairs. (uh, that&#39;s a joke, for those literalists who will jump in and freak out.)

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Earle indicted Delay last week with the 6th grand jury convened with such a task before them. He came up with a reference to conspiracy (easy to get an indictment on but hard to win a case with) and mentioned Delay only once in 3.5 pages of verbage. Now, he had to convene a 7th grand jury to get a money laundering indictment to cover his case, as the type of alleged conspiracy he based indictment #1 upon wasn&#39;t illegal in Texas at the time Earle alleged Delay commited the crimes. It is also known Earle appeared at a Democratic fundraiser this past May and bragged about how he was going to "get" Delay. Add to that it&#39;s common knowledge that he commissioned a film crew to follow him around for the past two years and shoot audio/video as he undertook his criminal investigation of Delay. Appearance of conflict of interest, anyone??

Let Mr. Earle go ahead and make his case. I&#39;m not one that will stand and defend Delay from dawn until dusk. A highly effective manager of the conservative agenda in the House he has been...someone free of non-ethical aftertaste he isn&#39;t. However, if the method to Earle&#39;s madness, so far, makes you full with confidence that he absolutely, positively has managed to "get" Delay, then you&#39;d better keep a bottle of aspirin close by in case you get disappointed.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 4 2005, 10:38 PM
Earle indicted Delay last week with the 6th grand jury convened with such a task before them. He came up with a reference to conspiracy (easy to get an indictment on but hard to win a case with) and mentioned Delay only once in 3.5 pages of verbage. Now, he had to convene a 7th grand jury to get a money laundering indictment to cover his case, as the type of alleged conspiracy he based indictment #1 upon wasn&#39;t illegal in Texas at the time Earle alleged Delay commited the crimes. It is also known Earle appeared at a Democratic fundraiser this past May and bragged about how he was going to "get" Delay. Add to that it&#39;s common knowledge that he commissioned a film crew to follow him around for the past two years and shoot audio/video as he undertook his criminal investigation of Delay. Appearance of conflict of interest, anyone??

Let Mr. Earle go ahead and make his case. I&#39;m not one that will stand and defend Delay from dawn until dusk. A highly effective manager of the conservative agenda in the House he has been...someone free of non-ethical aftertaste he isn&#39;t. However, if the method to Earle&#39;s madness, so far, makes you full with confidence that he absolutely, positively has managed to "get" Delay, then you&#39;d better keep a bottle of aspirin close by in case you get disappointed.
[post=348859]Quoted post[/post]​

It says a lot about Tom DeLay&#39;s ethics that his only argument against the first indictment was that "he did it before it was illegal." No question that he did it. It was always unethical, even if not strictly illegal. I agree Earle is probably grandstanding, but DeLay has committed so many ethical violations in his office, and who knows how many illegal violations, that the man should be removed from office without the indictments or any following court action. Earle has indicted lots of politicians, but he has been heavier handed with Democrats than with Republcans.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Oct 4 2005, 06:38 PM

[post=348859]Quoted post[/post]​
:eyes: Don&#39;t be too quick to assume that because I detest the current administration, that I must support the Democratic Party. Personally, I am weary of the prevailing attitude of "he did it and got away with it, so I should be able to do it and get away with it." Our government is in serious trouble, and a great deal of it stems from blind party loyalty. We, as citizens, must demand more transparency, integrity, and accountability in our government. It&#39;s time for a thorough "cleaning and disinfecting" of our system. Mr. DeLay is a good place to start, but by no means the end.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Our country desperately needs a third party that is more moderate. I am sick of the far right Republicans, the far left Democrats, and, as DC Deep said, the party loyalty that goes beyond ethics and good judgement in both parties. Our country is in terrible trouble, and most of us are not paying attention to the sinking ship.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Sabln7@Oct 5 2005, 09:03 AM
Our country desperately needs a third party that is more moderate. I am sick of the far right Republicans, the far left Democrats, and, as DC Deep said, the party loyalty that goes beyond ethics and good judgement in both parties. Our country is in terrible trouble, and most of us are not paying attention to the sinking ship.
[post=349030]Quoted post[/post]​
True enough, to some extent. Is a third party really necessary? Or should we just DEMAND reform within the current parties, or just ban partisan politics altogether?

Too far left or right does not serve the best interest of our country or our people.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I&#39;d be in agreement about the too far right and left, but the "too far lefts" get laughed out of the race before it begins. Clinton was a moderate and Kerry was practically a Republican, so what most people really want is an honest, relatively conservative leader with a broader mind to social affairs that&#39;s relevant to our current culture.

The problem with the corruption of our system is that nomatter who is running or what they stand for, the "other side" makes it their job to denigrate and publicly humiliate them just for being on the "other side", whether or not any of the things they say are true. There is currently no possibility of a decent man or woman to be elected as such or perceived as such after going through the election process, so decent people will not run.

I also voted for Boss Ross, he was a crazy little fucker, but at least he had enough of his own money that he&#39;d likely not be tempted by lobbyists&#39; bribes. He was also a businessman, and wouldn&#39;t it be nice for America to be run from a fresh perspective rather than just more of the same? It was clear that the mountain of bullshit under which Clinton was buried would inhibit him from carrying out his duties in the Whitehouse effectively, but I do believe he made the best of a very bad situation, which is what he does (look what he&#39;s doing now, and he even sucked up to bush sr. to make it more effective).

I am NOT a party loyalist, not at all. My voting record would show that and I have no need to explain that here. It is my considered opinion (and only that) that the current Republican party has simply corrupted at a much faster rate, and more thoroughly. Those who hold fast to party lines have ignored this trend, not wanting to be the bad guys, and that is an ego problem, pure and simple.

Anyone who loves our country should care deeply about it&#39;s being pillaged from within, false loyalty will be our undoing. I realise that the average person is completely unable to see beyond their own nose, and that disgusts me. Until Republicans show outrage at the behavior of their candidates, these corrupt men will continue to rule, and until Christians show outrage at their leaders, their religion will continue to become the religion of the Pharisees that Jesus spoke vehemently against. Until EVERYONE dons their fight gear and demands separation of church and state, we will continue heading into a theocrasy and ultimately dictatorship. Buckle your seatbelts kiddies, it&#39;s going to be a bumpy ride.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well put and well written, Madame Zora. I only pray that enough people get their heads out of the sand and quit voting for God and guns and against gays long enough to see what else comes with that far right agenda. People on the left can also be pro God and be religious.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by madame_zora+Oct 5 2005, 10:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Oct 5 2005, 10:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I also voted for Boss Ross, he was a crazy little fucker, but at least he had enough of his own money that he&#39;d likely not be tempted by lobbyists&#39; bribes. He was also a businessman, and wouldn&#39;t it be nice for America to be run from a fresh perspective rather than just more of the same?
[post=349055]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

Unfortunately, dubya also has plenty of his own money and really does not NEED the lobbyists... he simply likes them because they toady up to him, a bit like our new supreme court injustices.

<!--QuoteBegin-Sabln7
@Oct 5 2005, 12:12 PM
Well put and well written, Madame Zora. I only pray that enough people get their heads out of the sand and quit voting for God and guns and against gays long enough to see what else comes with that far right agenda. People on the left can also be pro God and be religious.
[post=349077]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
Careful what you say, Sabln7, that plays right into the hands of the bad guys. The point should be that being "religious" should not be a condition to enjoy basic constitutional rights and civil liberties. I agree that neither side has the monopoly on morality, but we have to be careful what qualifiers we put on it.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by DC_DEEP+Oct 5 2005, 04:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC_DEEP &#064; Oct 5 2005, 04:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by madame_zora@Oct 5 2005, 10:31 AM
I also voted for Boss Ross, he was a crazy little fucker, but at least he had enough of his own money that he&#39;d likely not be tempted by lobbyists&#39; bribes. He was also a businessman, and wouldn&#39;t it be nice for America to be run from a fresh perspective rather than just more of the same?
[post=349055]Quoted post[/post]​
Unfortunately, dubya also has plenty of his own money and really does not NEED the lobbyists... he simply likes them because they toady up to him, a bit like our new supreme court injustices.

<!--QuoteBegin-Sabln7
@Oct 5 2005, 12:12 PM
Well put and well written, Madame Zora.  I only pray that enough people get their heads out of the sand and quit voting for God and guns and against gays long enough to see what else comes with that far right agenda.  People on the left can also be pro God and be religious.
[post=349077]Quoted post[/post]​
Careful what you say, Sabln7, that plays right into the hands of the bad guys. The point should be that being "religious" should not be a condition to enjoy basic constitutional rights and civil liberties. I agree that neither side has the monopoly on morality, but we have to be careful what qualifiers we put on it.
[post=349086]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Perhaps I should say that people on the left can be pro God and can be religious but do not require such as a litmus test.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Oct 6 2005, 10:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Oct 6 2005, 10:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DC_DEEP@Oct 5 2005, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, dubya also has plenty of his own money
[post=349086]Quoted post[/post]​
you mean plenty of other people&#39;s money that his dad stole and defrauded, I think.
[post=349369]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Regardless of whether he earned it, stole it, or if it was stolen and given to him... he still has it.