Tom Ridge admits raising terror alert levels to help Bush

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mikeyh9in, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mikeyh9in

mikeyh9in Active Member

Albums:
    All of our suspicions regarding Bush are (big surprise) turning out to be absolutely true.

While Democrats where trying to expose the truth to America, the Republicans sat with blinders on believing everything that Bush and his team spouted.

Now we are in the same boat, this time with Healthcare... the Republicans are making up lies and their ignorant followers are eating it up.

Republicans... you are have great party -- lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes to win.

Tom Ridge: I Was Pressured To Raise Terror Alert To Help Bush Win

2. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

Isn't that nice, HuffPo is helping Ridge to flog his book.

It's quite a jump from that bit of generosity to the conclusion that it's all "absolutely true."

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not just the Huffpo, it's EVERYWHERE on the news. We'll see how this story plays out, but IMO it is a BIG story if true. Using the "terror alert" system to try and influence the presidential election is beyond shameful.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Exactly...whatever it takes. From firing prosecutors who won't go after democrats to stealing Florida to sliming a war hero. The audacity is literally shocking.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

This admission by Tom Ridge is not new. He alluded to it as part of his explanation for quitting the Bush Administration when he originally resigned. But what are the statutes of limitations on such things. Also, is US Homeland Security still using the colors of the Gay Flag to denote the level of threat to the nation or have they been retired?

7. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Man, they must have had a HUGE blow of sour grapes in the Bush Administration, because it seems everyone that resigned and now criticized, is just eating sour grapes.

People resign for reasons other than "to spend more time with their families", yet every time someone who resigned explains why....

...sour grapes.

8. houtx48

Gold Member

Bush never claimed to be a to be a Rhodes Scholar that's why fat boy Rove was there.

9. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Fat Boy Rove never graduated from college. He just had a knack for working for Republican candidates and helping them win by creating disinformation campaigns. It's amazing what one can do with a mailing list and a little money to send lies to potential constituents via the mail. But he had to sell off that business before working for El Presidente Arbusto.

10. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recall being at a family gathering and there was one of these "alerts." One of my nephews asked why there was an alert and my response was "because there's an election next year." I was confident my response was correct but now feel affirmed. Sleazy bastards!
    Dave

11. lucky8

Gold Member

There was undoubtedly some very questionable things going on behind the scenes of the Bush admin. It may never be proven since so many documents were illegally destroyed, but the second Rumsfeld resigned, it became blatantly obvious there was something afoot that he didn't want to be involved with. With the resignation of so many cabinet members during his presidency, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true...granted, Ridge is also trying to sell a book...

12. mikeyh9in

mikeyh9in Active Member

Albums:
    Yes, the very same Democrats and Republicans that were also lied to by the Bush Administration.

However, I was actually referring to myself and other like me. We (at least the progressives on this board) all knew that this was happening.

So, if we were correct in pointing out the horrible lies that Bush came up during his administration (and you weren't), doesn't it stand to reason, that we are the folks to be trusted now?

I wouldn't call Death Panels a legitimate concern. Yet, the Republicans keep spouting it.

Yes, the Republicans keep spouting lies. Why can't we have an honest debate in this country without the Republicans "trying to win" at all costs?
    Debating the merits of a Public Option, debating the merits of a single payer system...

First you say there isn't a plan, but then you say everyone is against it. WTF?

No, they weren't technically competent to use email... they just had an uneducated bully on staff by the name of Carl Rove.

That's right Bush has no friends -- as soon as they are exposed, he drops them like a hot potato... Kenny-boy Lay -- as soon as the Enron shit hit the fan, suddenly Bush can't recall ever knowing him -- when he use to borrow his private jet all the time. Great Friend.

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    midlifebear's recollection matches my own. At his resignation in 2004 Ridge did express some confusion and dismay over the administration's inexplicable manipulation of threat levels while he, Director of Homeland Security, had not been briefed on intelligence indicating changes in threat

At the time I remember being aghast that the administration would be so craven as to stoop to such venal opportunism. Committing such a blatantly political act in the name of national security is, well, beyond outrageous. But then, this is the same pack that sold us Iraq and all the lies surrounding it.

I hope Ridge's allegations are not really true but where there's smoke...

14. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Unfortunately, I think it's only a year for fraud.

QFT!

Terrorizing the country by trying to increase the alert levels to increase the chances of winning an election is reprehensible. It seems that we're finding out more atrocities from the Bush camp each week. That administration needs to finally be held accountable. It's not too late.

#14 D_Tintagel_Demondong, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. earllogjam

Gold Member

Why is Tom Ridge telling us this now and not when it was happening? Does he have a book out he wants to sell? Media whore, chicken shit self serving asshole.

What he really needs to do is expose the Homeland Security Department as a total waste of taxpayer money and an useless ineffectual money hole it really is - something that he helped create.

We need to dismantle this useless arm of the government - and redelegate the responsiblity to the agencies that are already being over-funded. Secret Service, CIA, FBI, Navy Intelligence, Army Intelligence, Air Force Intelligence, Coast Guard....we don't need another fucking law enforcement agency to fucking twiddle their thumbs racking in overtime and pension benefits and doing NOTHING. GET RID OF THESE OVERPAID FUCKERS. GET RID OF THIS WASTE!

16. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    heh

Ridge does have a book to sell.

Regardless, Tom Ridge and Colin Powell and Scott McClellan strike me as sellouts willing to face reality only long after it didn't matter. I'm sure they all considered themselves good, solid Bush loyalists at the time.

#16 SpeedoGuy, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  17. earllogjam

Gold Member

My suspicions are confirmed. Thanks Speedo.

The question now is who would find this man's life remotely interesting and buy his little book and actually read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted