Tom Robbins

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by bluekarma, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bluekarma

bluekarma Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever read any of his novels? I'm reading "Villa Incognito". So far he has introduced as a main character a promiscuous Tanuki, who is planting his seed joyfully in the belly of young Asian girls, only to have them give birth (unbeknownst to him) to his animal crossed offspring .....this book is a hoot!

Anyone else a fan?

2. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm a sort of fan. I read Even Cowgirls Get the Blues when it was first published. I thought it was very well written, but the core idea was a bit silly.

3. bluekarma

Yea, that was the worst one he wrote (IMO)....this one is proving to be much better...get it...read it :smile: ....book discussion thread!! :tongue:

4. AlobarFLL

AlobarFLL New Member

I'm a big Robbins fan. If you've read "Jitterbug Perfume", you'll notice my username is quite familiar looking.

5. Shelby

Gold Member

I read his first 5 but none since. Looks like a trip to the library is due.

His opening shot, Another Roadside Attraction drug in spots but in others was sheer philosophical genius. Other of his books were better reads as far as stories go but none I've read since has had near the food for thought as the first.

6. bluekarma

Ha! Indeed it does, sire :smile: :tongue: :smile: . Have you read "Villa Incognito"? What did you think?

7. bluekarma

The first one I read was "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas", loved his imaginative style of writing, and each one I read thereafter has been better. I'm actually reading Wild Ducks Flying Backward (in addition to "Villa Incognito") which is a collection of short stories and articles he's written. Pretty funny. So Yes! get to the library...I love a good book discussion.

8. bluekarma

Not that anyone cares (because this thread totally died) but I finished "Villa Incognito". Loved it. Didn't take long at all to read. Now I'm working on "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates". A bit longer but so far really good. Anyone care to join me?

Draft saved Draft deleted