Tommorrow Television.....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Feb 12, 2011.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love this clip because they were so sure tv would be great for us. One nite I watched two minute of one of those Housewives of...shows and I wanted to shoot myself in the head. I wanted to pour bleach in my eyes. I hate those women, And I hate that they get rich from being on these hideuos shows, Please network tv bring back the theatre and good dramas. Reality tv needs to die!

Tommorrow television

PS I saw a commercial for the new Trump Celebrity Apprentice and already befoe the show even starts there's a war between Nene and Starr Jones. This makes me hate these shows. First of all Nene is a no one ad...arrrgghhhh I HATE them! Someone please make reality tv stars go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. josh20hung

josh20hung Active Member

I LOVE reality tv .. Its pretty much all I watch

3. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

That clip was interesting!

I'm another lover of reality TV. I don't watch all reality shows, but the ones I do watch, I'm obsessed with.

4. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    All day long, I have to think and make decisions in an emotionally heavy field.... when I get home, I don't want heavy TV - I want brain floss. Reality TV is so much lighter than the reality I deal with at work. So I'm a fan! :)

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like reality TV but I need to qualify my definition of what that entails.

Reality TV by my definition is real people, unscripted, focused on accomplishing a specific task.
    Falling under that definition, shows that I enjoy are: Dirty Jobs, IRT Most Dangerous Roads, Mantracker, Trading Spaces, At The End Of My Leash, Myth Busters and the like.

Unfortunately the standard definition of reality TV includes shows which feature really artificial, self absorbed people, unscripted, focused on nothing more than being neon versions of themselves because we're apparently supposed to find them and their lives fascinating. Real Housewives, Big Brother, Survivor & Jersey Shore all meet this criteria.

Instead of calling these shows "reality TV" I like to use a term that more closely reflect what they are.

Crap.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

"Reality" TV is an oxymoron.

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I couldn't agree more. Here is a very imaginative movie. A mystery a few years ahead of its time.

Murder By Television- Bela Lugosi (1935)

YouTube - ‪Murder by Television‬‏

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the only reality show I ever liked was Dynasty. We have a wide choice of things to watch if these are not to your liking then there are other options available to you.

9. invisibleman

Gold Member

I don't bother with reality TV...:rolleyes:

Just give me FAMILY GUY, AMERICAN DAD, THE CLEVELAND SHOW, THE SYFY CHANNEL, THE RERUNS OF SUPERNATURAL ON TNT, THE COOKING CHANNEL, FOOD NETWORK, ANCIENT ALIENS/UFO HUNTERS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL, MIKE ROWE'S DIRTY JOBS on DISCOVERY CHANNEL, OWN, and LINK TV...I am happy.

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The original Survivor was fun. The genre faded fast for me and I don't like watching so-called Reality TV.

I can walk out the front door and get all the reality I can handle.

I like the film though. It was remarkably prescient and accurate with it's predictions. I wish my dad had bought stock in NBC.

#10 vince, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  11. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pretty much sums up my feelings.

I do enjoy The Amazing Race (mostly for the exotic destinations, and Phil). But unless I get in on the ground floor and watch the first episode, I don't bother with it. Actually, I'm not sure if it's still a going concern.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I saw something like that a couple years ago. They were racing in teams across Patagonia to Chile. It was good.

The ones I flick right on by are when they have a bunch of cams in a house populated by egotistical morons. Or there was one about 6 guys and 6 girls in a tropical hotel competing to get into each others pants. A waste of pixels.

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    :tongue:

14. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't stand reality tv. I find it boring as hell.

15. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Growing up on the East Coat we had channels 2,4,5,7,9,11. All the stations would sign off by 12 am. They would announce they were signing off. You would then get a test pattern and a beep. It was only Wor (channel 9) New York City that would stay on late. They had The Joe Franklin Show and then The Million Dollar Movie. I will never forget staying up late in the summer to watch a movie as a kid. It was a thrill.

YouTube - ‪WOR Channel 9 Million Dollar Movie‬‏
    WNBC New York sign off
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEd2ergAmY

#15 Mr. Snakey, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    All we had ABC NBC and CBS plus a really bad UHF station. Now I have a couple hundred stations and most of the time, there's less worth watching!

17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's the same here... I remember when there were just about a hand full of stations there was usually always something to watch and now I'm always saying to myself... All these stations and nothing to watch. Luckily I like to read.

18. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm sorry but everytime at a cash register in a store and see the magazines I cannot believe our society has devolved so much so that ANY Kardashian is a star or any of the Teen Moms. It makes me want to run and bang my head into the 1.00 dvd rental machine alongside it. The fact that ANY Kardashian is news and they are now worth millions really makes me question what si going on in America. Talk about dumbing down society! Ack. I'm very surprised that the (was it on TBS) reality show about the funeral home owners only lasted one season.
    When I disparage reality shows I don't mean to include Survivor which is more like a game show or the Alaska boat runners or those types of shows. I meant the more vapid Housewives and teen moms and the people that you just want to walk up to and punch in the face.
    Sorry not gonna watch them. Gonna spare my brain the stroke inducung stupidity that they are. When I come home from a long day of work I'd rather watch actually talented people on the worst sitcom than these idiots. Someone please save American TV!

19. nudeyorker

Gold Member

20. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    NY I'd rather watch 9 hours of Petticoat Junction than 1 hour of a Housewives show. Yeah my time is well spent watching that nut Nene who now wants to kill Starr Jones. PS Starr Jones was always nice to me when I met her.

Draft saved Draft deleted