Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We may have had a whimpy hurricane season, but as we saw in New Orleans (and I saw it firsthand), it only takes one.

In Louisiana we have several problems that made Katrina and Rita so bad. George Bush reallocating the levee-building budget to anti-terrorism and then awarding the contract for their construction to halliburton was the biggest problem, but the loss of our wetlands was a big one (we have the joy of being the Mid-West's toilet). But, one thing that is in Al's favour -- had the temperature in the Gulf been only 1-2 degrees cooler, the storm would have been considerably weaker and less destructive.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We may have had a whimpy hurricane season, but as we saw in New Orleans (and I saw it firsthand), it only takes one.
By wimpy I meant quantity of storms not whether a storm hit a populated area.
But, one thing that is in Al's favour ...
Huh?
... had the temperature in the Gulf been only 1-2 degrees cooler, the storm would have been considerably weaker and less destructive.
Considerably???

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't know the exact science, but only a small drop in water temperature has a huge effect on weakening a hurricane's intensity. It's one of the reasons they fall apart so quickly as they head north in the Atlantic.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

odd_fish_9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This started out as a political discussion. Look at the thread title.

Also, what value would a discussion of the science have?

For that matter, what value would a discussion of the politics have? Are any LPSG posters really in any position to have anything more than superficial understandings of the science or the politics of anything at all? Anybody here ever won a state or national election, run a successful political campaign, managed a major American city, produced a radio or TV news show, raised a few million dollars in political contributions, or lobbied a bill through a legislature? Anybody?