Too blue for you?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Rugbypup, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a question about sadness and depression.

We all go through it from time to time, but what do you do if you feel tired of always looking on the bright side of things, if hopeing just becomes a bit too much of a hassle?

They say sadness is the happiness of the deep soul, well, I've had my fair share of happiness and would like to know, what do you guys do to beat back the blues?

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Drink
    Smoke dope
    take my medication
    eat
    cry
    sleep

3. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    i take xanax.

4. crescendo69

Gold Member

swim
    scrabble
    LPSG
    TV

5. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

I was looking for ... and didn't find ... the Beck Depression Inventory, a series of several questions designed to test your mood to see if how you feel is just the blues that everyone gets from time to time ... or depression that needs to be treated with therapy or meds.

It's what was recommended to me to keep track of how I feel, which can be hard to do over time when we're depressed.

Depression is a common but serious mental health issue that can mess with quality of life. It can also be treated, but being depressed can ... itself ... make it hard to search out treatment.

6. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Try to meet people who you care about and who care about you.

7. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    ditto, just without the medication.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

Effexor XR
    Buspirone
    Ice Cream
    Beach
    Talk, text, or e-mail friends
    Chocolate
    Sex
    Gardening
    Antiqueing
    LPSG
    Shopping
    Swimming
    Skiing
    Getting lost in a good book
    Visiting: the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Cloisters, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

It may sound trite; but you need to make a list of things you remember doing when you felt happy. Then try to do at least one of those things a day.

If you want to be somewhat 'Oprahesque' about it then try a Gratitude Journal. The goal is to write 5 things for which you are grateful each day. I suck at keeping journals so anything that requires writing daily never works for me. :tongue::redface:

I hate to sound like a stick in the mud. :redface: If you are depressed, please do not start drinking and doing street drugs! Those things will only make you feel much worse in the long term. Then you might have to deal with an addiction problem and depression and that can be a living hell.

9. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    been on this earth now for 40 years you have to take the good with the bad
    I am just now coming out of a year long depression.
    friends help a lot the weed does too

10. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    i realize getting sad and emotional doesn't change the way things work so i'll just have to see the plus side to all the bad things that happen to me

11. bruce-e

bruce-e Member

Albums:
    A good friend, to reflect with, I'm one to sweat the small stuff. a good meal, take a shrink to lunch , play your favorite song, Maureen by Sade anyone?, music always makes me happy, dress sharp & go out where folks know & like you. The compliments you'll recieve & the attention you'll get, it'll lift your spirits. I find it's important not to let what's depressing me consume me. So I get outside of it, literally. And........ I Deal With It!

12. whatireallywant

Gold Member

What usually brings me out of a depressed time is physical activity/exercise of some sort. During two of the deepest depression times, I got over it one time by taking karate lessons, and the other time by becoming a speed walker.

This latest time, I'm not sure... I got over it somewhat by having a more active social life, I suppose. (Also, some of my social activity included hiking, playing volleyball, and some other things like that, so I had some physical activity as well there, too...) The main thing that will get me over this latest one though is to find a permanent job, though.

13. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    here's what I do:

spend time w/ ppl who really love me
    buy myself something really nice
    do something I always wanted to do
    pray
    spend time alone w/ some good music

this usually works, however I've been going through a really hard time over the past few months, only to be made worse during the past 2 weeks & none of the above did any good for a few days...but today I'm feeling much better and I can at least begin to see the bright side coming...

14. snoozan

Gold Member

i'm bipolar and i'm an artist. the only thing that ever really works to channel that deep soul-wrenching restlessness is to work.

15. duderino

duderino New Member

You said it. Every time I've come out of a major depression (in both the clinical and vernacular definition) I always have vowed to remember the signs and the symptoms and the thought patterns. And even so, I never know I'm depressed when I'm depressed. Or, rather, I know I hate myself and I blame myself for everything and resign to doing nothing because I don't feel I deserve to do anything, but it never occurs to me that I'm depressed and maybe I'm not to blame for all of the world's problems. The problem with depression -- at least in my case, and I can only assume everyone has a unique experience -- is that I only realize how profoundly dark and unbearable my mood has become when I'm in recovery. And I've had depressions that last for a year or longer.

It's fucking awful. And it manifests itself physically. And it's irrational. It fucks with your entire perception of yourself and the world around you. Sorry if that's a little bit of a downer. I'm starting to realize now -- after months of therapy and finally going back on meds -- that I'm recovering from a very, VERY serious depression. Unfortunately, I spent almost two years in the state I just described.

Ironically, I've had more emotions in the past two weeks than I have in the past two years. It's a good thing. The difference is that I feel my emotions now. And that, more than anything else, is a sign that things are getting better.

oy.

Right! The good news is, things are only going to get better!

16. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^
    what he said.

only I'm still on the downside

17. bigmix

bigmix New Member

i just cheer u up here. that's what i can do for now. and send you a big warm hug with my strong pecs for you to stay for a while as long as you need (if not offensive).

i normally go for;
    ice cream
    reading
    running/swimming/exercise
    crying if it's too much for me
    going out with friend(s)
    drinking (alone or with friends) - the last thing i will choose if no way out
    the new choice to go for for me is LPSG ;)

i love to hug a pup (or even big dog), so you are in my arms now.

18. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMFG!

Who put you on that? Everything my friend has told me about her experiences with it and the experiences of others who've been on it screams "Cure worse than the illness!".

I wouldn't even tell you to try to get off it at this point (unless it's a brand new thing for you) because the hell she has described of the years she's spent trying to recover from it.

"I still feel like my brain is being zapped with an electrical wire."

Here's another person's experience. Antidepressants and the People Who Take Them

Psychiatric drugs scare the crap out of me.

19. snoozan

Gold Member

Antidepressants are a mixed bag. Effexor has saved many people's lives. Unfortunately, it's trial and error for most ilnesses involving the brain. If Effexor works for NJQT, that's all that's important for her-- the rest is just fearmongering. Questioning her medication is best left up to her and to her physicians.

The discontinuation syndrome from antidepressants is well known now, but it wasn't for a long time. I'm glad clinicians are finally recognizing it. I've been through it, and though it royally sucks, you get through it. There are a lot of ways to ease the discontinuation syndrome, including weaning with or without other medications. Every medication in our pharmacological arsenal has side effects and potentially lethal and/or uncomfortable risks. You always have to do a risk/benefit analysis and do it with the best information you have on hand.

What scares the crap out of me is knowing that it's only within the last 75 years that we've had much success in treating mental illness. It scares me and saddens me that my grandfather lived most of his life in emotional agony because there was no good treatment for what was wrong with him. It makes me weep to think that millions of people missed out on having fuller, more productive lives because there was nothing that successfully treated mental illness. It scares me thinking about a world where psychiatric medication is not available. Psychiatry is a new field and there are always going to be mistakes made and things that aren't properly understood. How the brain works is the final frontier in medicine. The fact that there is anything available to help people from suffering is better than there being nothing.

If you're scared of them but want to learn, do more reading about psychiatry and how medication works. I'd recommend An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison as a good place to start if you're wondering about how mental illness works and what medication does (and doesn't do). She's a stellar example of someone who wouldn't have made it without lithium, and her story helped me understand why taking the risks that come with being medicated is so important.

20. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

blues? depression? what blues? what depression?

sorry I can't be any help here ... too busy taking life as it comes ... who has the time?

Draft saved Draft deleted