Too little too late

Discussion in 'Politics' started by houtx48, Aug 12, 2010.

1. houtx48

Gold Member

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I fixed the spelling of your thread title. As much as I am not a supporter of the Bush family; whether you consider it an empty gesture I do support anyone's actions who do anything for the men and woman in the military. What have you done?

#2 nudeyorker, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Bump that. As a former military guy, I can tell you it's pretty easy to feel unappreciated. My nephew was killed in Iraq and the Congressman from the district where he grew up, played HS football, and called home came to his burial at Arlington -- he had never met my nephew or my brother and his wife, but I want to tell you that single gesture meant a lot to our family.

I don't think much of GW, but I do think (this is my opinion) his actions are sincere and not some hollow gesture / photo op.

4. houtx48

Gold Member

I payed my taxes and a lot of them.

5. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's an insult to our brave service men to have that pathetic weasel of a man, who dodged his own military service, and who lied us into war - causing the death of more than 5000 innocent Americans and tens of thousands of Iraqis - dare to show up anywhere our soldiers are. He doesn't deserve to breath the same air. In fact he doesn't deserve to be breathing any longer. I will never be happy until he is tried and jailed for his war crimes.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd say it was a "publicity stunt" by GWB to enhance his "legacy" prior to the release of his Book this November. If he truly wanted to simply "greet" the incoming soldiers why was the Press there and who called them?

7. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    and completely hypocritical considering he dictated by fiat that returning caskets could never be photographed during his 8 years of terror.

8. Tevye

Tevye New Member

I give him credt as it is due. Consider this: he knows how the public reacts to him and anything about Iraq yet can go and appear in a dignified manner.

To the one who terms this a publicity stunt for an upcoming book be realistic the book is due when? in November? Right which means this is 99% not likely related to the release of his book. You want to know how the press gets the information to where he will be? The press follows him around the same as they follow all retired politicians and their families always there is someone watching them this is especially so when of a man so despised by so many. Add on this returning troops which any good news organization will take as a news item.

9. houtx48

Gold Member

It's the new campaign to rebuild his tarnished image. Nothing more. He is still the worst president in my lifetime, maybe ever. He could not lead a troop of girl scouts much less a country. He needs to go back to Preston Hollow and keep his mouth shut we have heard enough out him.

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

"We didn't tell them at all what was going on," said the leader of the welcoming group, Lt. Col. Patrick McAfee. "It was shock and awe when they walked in the double doors."

Shock and awe? That's abit tasteless. I bet it was nothing compared to the shock and awe of the Iraqis who had Fireworks courtesy of the US air force light up their skies.

11. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Look, I'm a major non-fan of GWB. He drove our country into the ground, and we're still trying to dig our way back out. Still, he sent these young men and women into the middle east, the least he can do is be there so they can look him in the eye when they get back. If it was a "publicity stunt" the soldiers would have been briefed before hand, with instructions on how to react. I think his actions were sincere. I don't think they make up for any of the atrocities that happened under his watch (and often at his instruction), and this gesture certainly doesn't raise my opinion of him, but it is a respectable gesture, for what it's worth.

12. houtx48

Gold Member

They have try and repair Zippy's image so his fat brother can make a run at the the presidency.

13. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I never thought I'd ever come to the defense of President Bush, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

I appreciate that you think he's a weasel and I agree the evidence is very clear that he dodged military service. Further, somebody did "lie" us into a war -- but my hunch is that "Darth" Cheney and his neoconservative cronies had more to do with that than GW. While he may have been the mouthpiece, (and yes, the buck stops there) I don't think he was part of the invention itself. Conceptualizing and creating the justification for war would imply a level of sophistication and intellect that I don't think the man possesses.

But what I take exception is to is your statement that he 'dares' to show up to greet these returning servicemen and women. Quite frankly, I think it speaks highly of his sense of responsibility to them. He was ultimately responsible for sending them into harm's way, after all.

I think most people are too quick to unilaterally criticize anything involving President Bush, and refuse to acknowledge that he deserves some credit for what he's done right:

• He has been absolutely silent and remained on the sidelines during the last 18 months without expressing any public opinions about President Obama or attempting to defend his own legacy. (How many of us could withstand 24/7 criticism -- much less remain silent in it's face?) For contrast, consider Dick Cheney, who -- in incredible displays of poor judgment and taste -- critiques the President and the Obama administration's policies at the drop of a hat.
    • He may actually feel a bit of remorse about the decisions that led up to the Iraq invasion and the death of so many American soldiers. If he does, I'd rather he exhibit that publicly (yes, too little too late -- but better than none at all) rather than keep it private.
    • He and his administration worked closely with President Obama and his incoming advisers immediately after the election to ensure we wouldn't have a catastrophic meltdown of the economy. The unprecedented and early access allowed a fairly seamless transition in a period of absolute chaos.
    • He has followed President Clinton's example to use his former office as a platform for fund-raising to address critical world issues. He joined President Clinton in creating a relief fund for the disaster in Haiti and has worked -- largely behind the scenes -- to foster a non-partisan approach for international relief efforts.
    I don't want you or any of the other contributors or readers here to mistake my post as some sort of apologist rhetoric for the Bush years, but I don't think the man should be vilified for showing up to express a well-earned welcome home for America's troops. I know I'm going to catch some flack for this post, but I think some honest reflection is required in the debates we have in this forum. Without it, we're just different verses of the same tired song that is performed all too frequently by the mostly non-thinking, eagerly-parroting members of the conservative wing of American politics.

As to this:

Perhaps you should consider yourself fortunate that you were able to escape with just a few less dollars. For every one of those service members who fell in Iraq and Afghanistan, there are grieving men and women without a spouse, grieving children without a parent, grieving parents without a child, and extended families with an empty chair at their holiday table. In my opinion, it's an insult to all of them and the rest of America for you to pretend the taxes you paid somehow equate to their loss. You're entitled to bitch and moan about your taxes, but what price do you put on a young person's life?

I think since all of us pay taxes of one sort or another, you should consider that an involuntary gesture. Let's think about voluntary acts and go back to nudeyorker's question:

14. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    hmm. Whoever posted about a congressman going to someones funeral, that man got it right. Bush was welcoming home the conquering heros who got away with it, not the ones who paid. In effect saying, 'see, theyre home again'.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The fact that he decided to go greet returning troops at D/FW the day after president Obama was in Austin and Dallas just reeks of PR stunt to me.

I'm not buying any contention that this was a personal display of genuine anything.

16. houtx48

Gold Member

"He has been absolutely silent and remained on the sidelines during the last 18 months without expressing any public opinions about President Obama or attempting to defend his own legacy." LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL to easy

17. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the added intel; based on it I agree with you.

But I've always found him unbearably disingenuous: is anyone with that level of accomplishment really that stoooopid?

18. maxcok

Gold Member

CG, you know I respect your point of view as highly as most in this forum. I agree with what you said up to this point, and I'm not going to give you "flack", but from this point we part company. I agree with virtually all the criticism levelled at this joke of a president by other posters in this thread, too many to quote. He hasn't achieved a thing in his life on his own merit, and he's been an abject failure at every position handed to him on a silver platter, including the one that enabled him to take this country into an unnecessary and illegal war on cooked intelligence and drive us nearly to financial ruin.

I don't believe the draft-dodging dumbass Dubyah puppet did or said anything in office that wasn't dictated to him by Cheney, Rove, Mummy, Pappy and the rest of that evil and imperious cabal. I believe he's been instructed to lay low since so as not to be a clear and painful reminder that he and his party got us into all these messes, and lest he stick his silverplated foot in his mouth. I don't believe he has a "responsible" or "sincere" bone in his body. I don't believe his airport junket was anything more than a PR move to try to redeem his ruined image.

If he really wanted to show "remorse" as you speculate, maybe rather than greeting troops arriving home on a happy two week leave, he would visit some soldiers with severe brain injuries or limbs blown off at Walter Reed Hospital. Or maybe he could welcome some flag draped caskets arriving at Dover AFB. You know, the ones he wouldn't let the press take pictures of while he was in office. Maybe he could take a page from your Congressman, or from what this guy did his first year in office.

You're right about this:
    The reality is this is the first war in American history that has not been paid for, at least in large measure, where Americans have not been asked to personally sacrifice - another legacy of the Bush/Rove/Cheney administration. Instead, we have defrayed the costs adding to the monumental debt burden of future generations, and for what? Things would likely be very different if average Americans felt the actual pain of sacrifice or were allowed to see beyond the controlled and sanitized media coverage. Like you, my heart goes out to the fallen and the families of the fallen. Only they, the Iraquis, and the Afhanis have any understanding of the true cost of these mad exercises.

#18 maxcok, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  19. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    If one reads further into this story one would discover that Bush and his wife are affiliated with the organization that sponsored the event: SLANT 45. This is a link to some background information:

North Texas Super Bowl 45 Host Committee

So yes, perhaps part publicity stunt, part promo, but it seems Bush, through affiliations with the Haiti Relief organization and this community service group (which promotes educational opportunities for public school youth) may indeed be trying to soften what may be left of any of his legacy, if not distance himself from the somewhat detached ideology of the party that he (in so many ways) represented as President.

#19 b.c., Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  20. maxcok

Gold Member

Speaking as someone who has spent some time working in these arenas, I can attest to the fact that many socially prominent and uber wealthy folk lend their name and image to 'worthy' causes. Not to say that they're bad people, but it's generally an image builder and a game of one-upmanship with their peers. It's a PR score for the organization as well as a PR score for the sponsor, and they generally get a juicy tax write-off for any donations to boot. Color me unimpressed.

Draft saved Draft deleted