Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
http://abcnews.go.com/

Top 5 Ways College Kids Will Get Swine Flu

Classroom Desks, Communal Bathrooms Are Often Covered With Germs

Forget about good grades and securing a date for homecoming, college students heading back to campus have a far bigger concern: swine flu.
With the school year just starting, swine is already spreading across college campuses nationwide. At least 150 suspected cases of students contracting the swine flu have been reported at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, and nearly 200 cases at the University of Kansas. School officials at the University of Tennessee have estimated 100 cases and at the University of Alabama there are more than 50 cases on just the first day alone.

1) CLOSE LIVING QUARTERS

As if sleeping in a tiny dorm room wasn't uncomfortable enough, having a sick roommate sleeping just inches away from you will likely mean you'll get infected too.

2) LECTURE HALLS

Students this semester might find it easier to pay attention in class than to stay healthy, thanks to the desks in lecture rooms that are often touched, sneezed on and coughed on by hundreds of students a day.
"Inanimate surfaces are places where viruses can live for hours," said Horovitz. He advises that even if you have washed your hands prior to entering a classroom you should avoid touching your face.

"A simple wipe down of the desk with a wet cloth is a very easy way to disinfect and protect yourself," he said.

3) DRINKING GAMES

For some students, drinking with their friends can be just as virus-prone as sitting at those germ-ridden classroom desks. "You don't want to share utensils or drinking glasses when you've had direct saliva on them," said Horovitz. "Refrain from drinking games or just keep your own cup." Tierno says that there is some truth to the fact that alcohol * even the type you drink * will kill germs, but only when the drink is pure liquor. Beer and wine won't kill off enough of the germs to make it safe to share cups.

"Lay off the drinking games if others are involved," said Tierno. "If you want to drink, drink on your own."

4) CAMPUS DINING HALLS

College students might want to think again before taking a heaping helping of food from a communal source like a salad bar. "All people eating in cafeterias should not taste directly from the public trough, they should put things on their plate first," said Horovitz. "Hands should be washed and they should not share food or utensils with friends."

5) KISSING

Close contact of the sexual kind is at the top of many college students' favorite pastimes. And, sure enough, the sex lives of university students is going to be yet another contributing factor to the spread of swine flu as the school year progresses.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have just found out a few hours ago that I have been directly exposed to the swine flu.
Where the heck do they find these mega-bugs, and WHY do I always have to fight them??

I've already conquered:
Smallpox
Lyme disease
Some killer flu bug whose name I forget
West Nile Virus
That flesh eating bug that killed my nephew, and damn near killed my brother and his wife. (STILL furious at the CDC over that one)

Hopefully, I won't get it. I do not feel like dealing with another flu bug. Why can't it be something simple like the Mumps?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have just found out a few hours ago that I have been directly exposed to the swine flu.
Where the heck do they find these mega-bugs, and WHY do I always have to fight them??

I've already conquered:
Smallpox
Lyme disease
Some killer flu bug whose name I forget
West Nile Virus
That flesh eating bug that killed my nephew, and damn near killed my brother and his wife. (STILL furious at the CDC over that one)

Hopefully, I won't get it. I do not feel like dealing with another flu bug. Why can't it be something simple like the Mumps?
You're as bad as me, medically speaking. :yikes: Haven't you had your MMR booster shot?:confused:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
These are all just common sense. Case in point: "Hands should be washed and they should not share food or utensils with friends." Seriously? People need to be made aware of this?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
These are all just common sense. Case in point: "Hands should be washed and they should not share food or utensils with friends." Seriously? People need to
be made aware of this?
We're talking about college kids. Individually, they are some of our finest young minds, capable of creating sustainable, renewable energy, and curing cancer. Group them together and their combined IQ becomes 64. :rolleyes::tongue: