Top Rated Cities

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I saw a news clip about the most liveable cities. Munich was ranked #1. I believe Copenhagen and Vienna were #2 and #3. They based this ranking on climate, crime, things to do (is it lively), etc. What are your thoughts? I remember hearing that Melbourne was once ranked #1. In the video, I believe they said Sydney was ranked 6th or 7th. I can't quite remember. For those you wondering London and NY were ranked out of the top 20.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My home Vancouver, Canada has been either the top rated or within the top 5 cities a number of times. Ratings are based on various factors that effect liveability, such as environment, jobs/wages, crime, schools, hospitals, recreation, climate, etc.

Even though we are located in Canada, we seldom have snow and only get below freezing a few days of the year. Rains a different matter. We have a couple of sayings about the locals and rain. "How can you tell a person who was born in Vancouver, webbed feet". "In Vancouver you don't tan, you rust".

Our physical location is outstanding, surrounded on three sides by the ocean and at the feet of glorious mountains. From downtown you can be skiing in 1/2 an hour and Whistler Mountain is just 2 hours away.

On the same day you can go sailing, play golf and ski.

In 2010 Vancouver will be the host for the Winter Olympics.

On the down side Vancouver is now ranked as the fourth most expensive city to live in. A small (600 sq.ft.) apartment goes for an average of $ 350,000 and the starting price for a home (handy man's special) in Vancouver is about half a million dollars.

Sorry to boast but as you can see I love living here.

musclebutt2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I saw a news clip about the most liveable cities. Munich was ranked #1. I believe Copenhagen and Vienna were #2 and #3. They based this ranking on climate, crime, things to do (is it lively), etc. What are your thoughts? I remember hearing that Melbourne was once ranked #1. In the video, I believe they said Sydney was ranked 6th or 7th. I can't quite remember. For those you wondering London and NY were ranked out of the top 20.

I've been to all three of those cities, and Munich is very quaint. However, there's something about Berlin that is more interesting, albeit dangerous. I disagree about Vienna, I feel it is more a town for older people. It is too sleepy for younger people and most end up moving to other capitals. I wonder how Prague fared?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Portland, Oregon, USA. The picturesque coast is 90 minutes west by car. Skiiing 60 minutes east. Nice climate. Its bicycle friendly. The Columbia River Gorge is nearby as are: lakes, mountains, rivers, forests, mucho bookstores, artsy movie theaters, music, food, and an all-around fun place to live.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love Copenhagen and Portland. Austin is another great place. But this is one of those questions like "Who is the greatest rock band ever"? You can debate it for hours but there is no right answer. I bet a lot of people who live in Dallas think it's the greatest city ever.

Reactions: shapely

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Albuquerque puts all these other international cities to shame!:rolleyes::biggrin: No really, I love my hometown and it is very nice here: Beautiful mountains and scenery and lots of wonderful people. It's not the most exciting city in the world but there is plenty to do here, especially recreationally. I wouldn't trade living here for any other place in the world.:smile:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Portland, Oregon, USA.

I love Copenhagen and Portland.

Yeah, but doesn't it rain a lot up there or worse that pissy mist? I can't get used to jogging in the rain or Seasonal Affective Disorder. I need the sun. Sun glorious Sun. I'm not a pasty white kind of guy. Californication for me.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

TERRRRRRRRRIBLE these surveys.

"liveable" for who... a family of 6? a single wealthy female? a retired couple? a kid? minorities?

This is just to sell newspapers... Copenhagen and climate... laughable. Is crime an issue if you live in a nice neighborhood? Take Detroit.. a total shithole... but with very nice and safe neighborhoods. Sydney is gorgeous... but yeah it's expensive, but finding this ultimate "balance" is pointless... unless they define the target population.

If you are poor, who gives a shit about climate and culture. If you are wealthy, who gives a shit about crime and cost of living. If you are family of 6 scraping by, who gives a shit about theater and opera, if you are gay and single, who gives a shit about schools.

A survey is more about who/what is the prototypical/target habitant. My guess is 90% of the folk on this board are nowhere close to that demographic.

I don't want to go an rant here, but....

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Faceking, you may be right. Who knows what criteria is used.

I've been to a number of cities that I would love to try living in. But as we all know there's a big difference between visiting and living, in a city.

I loved Vienna. Its so beautiful and clean. And so much history.
London is wonderful and where my roots are.
New York is very exciting.
Montreal is great for partying.

I know Vancouver. I've lived here all my life but I hope I would feel the same where ever I grew-up. I'm sure it would be different if I didn't come from a solid middle-class family with a vast network of friends.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did see some surveys on different cities and how they ranked for different demographics. The one I was looking at most closely was the "top cities for young singles" (although I don't really qualify as "young" anymore). Austin was #3 on the list, and also had a high "bohemian factor" which I look for in a city. I live in San Antonio but Austin is not that far away.

As for income and culture, I am low income now but still like a place with a lot of culture, especially if there are cultural activities that I can enjoy for free. I keep forgetting that San Antonio has a college radio station because I moved here from a place that didn't have one. That's kind of odd because one of the things I look for in a city is a college and/or community radio station. It's something that is free (unless you want to donate), and is usually a lot more interesting than commercial radio. College and community radio stations will play a lot of indie music, and will play a mix of genres.

I also like the wide variety of activities to do here.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
TERRRRRRRRRIBLE these surveys.

"liveable" for who... a family of 6? a single wealthy female? a retired couple? a kid? minorities?

This is just to sell newspapers... Copenhagen and climate... laughable. Is crime an issue if you live in a nice neighborhood? Take Detroit.. a total shithole... but with very nice and safe neighborhoods. Sydney is gorgeous... but yeah it's expensive, but finding this ultimate "balance" is pointless... unless they define the target population.

If you are poor, who gives a shit about climate and culture. If you are wealthy, who gives a shit about crime and cost of living. If you are family of 6 scraping by, who gives a shit about theater and opera, if you are gay and single, who gives a shit about schools.

A survey is more about who/what is the prototypical/target habitant. My guess is 90% of the folk on this board are nowhere close to that demographic.

I don't want to go an rant here, but....

Very smart. *tips hat*

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Top rated????

London for culture, feel, energy, variation, Indian food
Vancouver for positivism, native Canadian handicrafts ("Bridges" is/was my favorite restaurant in the WH)
New York for the whole experience (Demarchelier on 86th)
Montreal for the perfect balance of small town/big city
Quebec City for European travel in the WH
Albuquerque for Southwestern everything at a great price
Salida (CO) for "why don't I live in God's country?"
Burlington (VT), Chatham (MA), Stonington (ME), Charlevoix (MI) for friends and relaxation
Kansas City for low cost-of-living/good culture/humidity in summer

I mean---one could really overdo this thing

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now having moved here, I have really gotten to like Seattle. It is colder than the SFO area, but the quality and standard of life is really great. As a generally warmer-climate person, I even got to appreciate the rain, and the outdoor activities possible around here could even make me cut back on my surfing activities.

I have been to Munich last year on vacation, I didn't really like it. Parts of it looked so nonpersonal and drab, while others were too picturesque for my taste. LOL, plus, the people talk a really funny accent, like ??? I don't know, can't compare it to any American accent now.

I liked neither New York nor Montreal: NY was exciting, but I didn't like the size, and Montreal was pretty dirty. An asset of cities stamped by French culture? I remember Marseille from a Europe trip a few years back, and it was really a dirty city.

Lucky_Luke

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been to all three of those cities, and Munich is very quaint. However, there's something about Berlin that is more interesting, albeit dangerous. I disagree about Vienna, I feel it is more a town for older people. It is too sleepy for younger people and most end up moving to other capitals. I wonder how Prague fared?
Serious travellers to Europe will always place Berlin and Prague at the top of the list. Berlin is almost unversally considered the 'coolest' city on the planet by those who have travelled.

But these ranking systems are supposedly based on the best places to live not just visit. Macha Pictu or Katmandu are also cool places to visit, but I really, really wouldn't want to live in either place.

I've visited lots and lots of cities around the world - but I've really only lived in one or two so it is really hard to compare cities for 'livability'.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Are you sure you didn't have the list upside down?

Reactions: Taya

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Top rated????

London for culture, feel, energy, variation, Indian food
Vancouver for positivism, native Canadian handicrafts ("Bridges" is/was my favorite restaurant in the WH)
New York for the whole experience (Demarchelier on 86th)
Montreal for the perfect balance of small town/big city
Quebec City for European travel in the WH
Albuquerque for Southwestern everything at a great price
Salida (CO) for "why don't I live in God's country?"
Burlington (VT), Chatham (MA), Stonington (ME), Charlevoix (MI) for friends and relaxation
Kansas City for low cost-of-living/good culture/humidity in summer

I mean---one could really overdo this thing

Mmmmm London and Indian food. Have to imagine it's superb throughout.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to be by the ocean...I turned a job down in Kansas City, because I think I would go crazy if I was land-locked...that and there was no place to buy shoes!