Top Ten ways to attract (and keep) a Geek.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, maybe I have been going about this dating thing all wrong. :confused: Maybe I should be looking for geeks rather than a modern day Prince Charming? After all I have never met an inherently mean or mysogynistic geek. :cool: I did attend engineering school and have a penchant for gadgets so it's not like I would have to feign interest in the things he cares about.

Top Ten ways to attract (and keep) a Geek

Geeks make the best lovers (click here to see why). But they require special care in order to attract and keep them. To that end, we have compiled the following top ten list. You may notice that we have used the set of male pronouns to describe the geek. Please do not take offense. We know there are plenty of female geeks out there. But since the English language does not have a neuter pronoun that can apply to people (we can’t talk about “it” when referring to a geek), and since it is cumbersome to write (and read) sentences containing “he/she”, “him/her”, “his/her”, we have taken the approach of simply using “he”, “him”, and “his”. The advice is the same whether the geek is represented by a male, a female, or both parties in the couple.

The list is in approximate order of importance, with number one being absolutely essential before any of the other items on the list can even have meaning.

1. MAKE THE FIRST MOVE. Why? There are so many reasons. Geeks are shy by nature. They haven’t learned the skills necessary to approach a potential partner. They will appreciate being let off the hook of potentially being embarrassed if they are turned down by the person that they approach. They will actually be flattered that you asked them.

2. Ask him to teach you something, like a game (chess, bridge, World of Warcraft). This could actually be the premise of going out on the first date, although it shouldn’t be the only activity. Suggest that you go for a meal and, after, he can teach it to you.

3. Ask him to tell you what he does in his field of interest (perhaps work, perhaps hobby). Look interested, you don’t even have to understand what he’s saying. In fact, telling him you don’t understand but that it sounds fascinating will turn him on.

4. Go to a geeky convention (Computers or Star Trek type) wearing an “I (heart) Geeks” t-shirt. Go up and talk to someone who looks interesting.

5. Gripe about your computer, especially if it’s Windows based. Chances are he’ll try to convert you to a Mac or Linux environment. What better way to spend a first date than having him install Linux on your computer?

6. Accept the fact that he won’t feel comfortable with your non-geeky friends. For that matter, accept the fact that your non-geeky friends will not be comfortable with him. Plan to have most of your dates involve just the two of you, or you and your mutual geek friends.

7. Accept the fact that having 2 (or 3 or 4) computers and monitors is more important than being able to afford going out to a nice restaurant or show or wearing nice clothes. (see 9 below).

8. Do buy him the newest technology (cell phone, PDA, game console) as soon as it comes out – even if it requires spending a lot of money, and/or waiting in long lines at the Apple store.

9. Don’t buy him “cool” clothes. He will feel guilty for not wearing them, and at the same time might feel that it’s easier to break up with you than tell you that he hates them and won’t wear them.

10. Recognize that he’s happiest when he’s “doing his thing”. Be supportive and congratulate him when he reaches a new level, whatever form that takes.

Is it my imagination or will 2,3,8,9, and 10 work with pretty much any guy? :cool:

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Except for #8 and 9, gifts aren't important at all to me, but we already established that in another thread. If you were to change this list by dropping computers/high tech out of the equation this list would work equally well for how men can meet women, unless she is a geek, then you wouldn't have to change a thing.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm not sure about the list thing - most of the geeks I know aren't exclusively geek I suppose. But geeks certainly do make the best lovers - it's the technician in them. Musicians also rank high, IME - especially the rhythm section (for obvious reason) - so if you can find a geek who is also a musician... Ai-Caramba!! :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now let's see:

1 - Something I have tried often, on more or less geeky types. It can possibly work, but there is no guarantee it will. Sometimes it is counterproductive because even geeks have this male thing that they think they have to be the one making the first move. So, I'd dismiss this point at least partly.

2 - Impossible. Asking someone to teach me something, even if it's only meant as a hook-up line, embarrasses me more than the guys, I think.

3 - Same as 2. I can't feign fascination, I'm a very bad actress.

4 - Over my dead body!

5 - Indeed, what way. Shall I tell the truth? The guy who installed my first computer was a date then. However, he wasn't so geeky. But the guys who were trying to convert me, including my computer, to one of these fringe group OS's, usually weren't worth being dated in my eyes, they all were on the epitome of boredom.

6 - Okay, accepted. But I need some time off every now and then.

7 - That really pushes my limits. I'll only accept if he really has something for me, otherwise this is where I'd draw the line.

8 - Sure, for his birthday, Christmas, Easter. But not out of the line.

9 - That's okay too. But I insist on kicking out clothes that are dying away.

10 - How could I not be?

Media
I'm not sure about the list thing - most of the geeks I know aren't exclusively geek I suppose. But geeks certainly do make the best lovers - it's the technician in them. Musicians also rank high, IME - especially the rhythm section (for obvious reason) - so if you can find a geek who is also a musician... Ai-Caramba!! :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

I'm a computer animator and I play guitar and drums.
figures.
lol

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
thediscobisscuit Great stuff!! perhaps you could help me with the thumbnail in my thread "Help needed" in etc etc!!
Pretty please

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Geeks rule!
Somehow, I fit in this category because I work on & sell computers. But I also DJ. That kinda keeps me from becoming an ubergeek, I suppose. I couldn't help but chuckle at the list though. Some of it is so true.

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Being a geek doesn't mean you are socially inept.

So true, but such a common misconception.

I never really know how to classify myself given the broad range of my interests, but since I don't mind being called a geek I guess I might as well be one.

Anyway, the list is pretty fucking solid. :p

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Hi. My name's Lennie. Computer programmer/analyst by day, bass player by night. You were saying?...

B_blackkid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am a geek and I take offense!

There's no defined way to dress and whatnot, it lies in our interests. I like computers, and as a matter of fact wish to be a hacker ( though not malicious ) as well as enjoy taking things apart, and I am moderately intelligent for my age.

I really do find those websites and things to be ludicris.