ToSessszzzzz

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Gillette, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just as an excercise I thought it might be interesting to compare different Terms of Service, rules, guidlines, whathaveyou from other sites. Check out the sites you normally visit and copy + paste the rules here to share.

I was just in a chatroom of another site for the first time (hellish! Why would the default read from bottom to top?) and noticed similarities and differences to the ones here.

From the site;

Chat Room Rules - Here's what NOT to do, and what will be grounds for a ban:
    • Harass, threaten, degrade, intimidate, victimize, or other wise abuse an individual or group. (Hate speech on the basis of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, religion or sexual orientation is unacceptable.)
    • Interrupt or repeatedly post off-topic comments to disrupt a topical conversation.
    • Sell, advertise or otherwise post commercial solicitations, including web URLs.
    • Post any URL's regardless of the intent or content of the site. (Except where otherwise noted.)
    • Post any contact information (email/instant messenger address, home phone/address, etc.).
    • Post or advertise parties, meet and greets or any other function
    • Post text, photos, images, or other content that's protected by intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, any copyright, trademark, rights of publicity, rights of privacy, or other proprietary rights.
    • Post content that promotes, demonstrates or otherwise provides illegal instructional information - how to shoplift, how to hack a site, etc.
    • Attempt to collect other chatters' usernames, passwords, or other private, personal information such as telephone number, email/instant messenger address, home address or full name.
    • Posting another members' personal information (name, email/instant messenger address, home phone/address etc.)
    • Transmit or attempt to transmit a virus to other chatters.
    • Impersonate or misrepresent yourself as an employee of *NOt Naming This Site, its parent company or affiliates.
    • Allow or instigate arguments to escalate into threats, harassment, or become violent in nature. While squabbles may occur between members, they must remain civil.
    • Flooding of the room (continuous posts of the same content).
    • Hacking
    • Speaking a language other than one specified in the title of that room.
    Multiple violations will result in deletion of accounts and any other accounts connected to this member. Previous violations will result in future violations treated more swiftly and severely

2. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Thank you Gillette.

3. dong20

Gold Member

Thanks, and it's very similar, as I'd expect.

But, from what I can gather reading been what's posted on this issue, the problems don't appear to be rooted in the LPSG TOS itself, but its interpretation and enforcement.

4. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've seen so many of those broken it frightens me.

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're welcome? What did I do?

Those aren't rules for our chatromm, they're from another site. I just removed the name of it from the text. The idea of this thread is to copy the rules of other sites you visit and post them here so we can all see what other sites are like.

6. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's what I gather people feel from reading posts as well.
    I'm not posting this thread to discuss any specific issues and I don't want to see any names mentioned in it, either.

I just wanted to see what other ToS's (esses?) looked like. You know, without having to go look myself...

7. dong20

Gold Member

I think Terms of Service could in fact be it's own plural. Alternatively I suggest, ToSsers.:smile:

8. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
  9. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    :tongue: I even heard the rimshot in my head.

Ok, I'm going to start charging for puns.

One ToS from elsewhere, please?

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Forum Rules:

1. You are solely responsible for any statements that are posted using your account.

2. You may not post or link to any material that could be considered violent, abusive, insulting, threatening, harassing or in violation of the law.

3. You may not post or link to any material that could be considered libelous, defamatory or false.

4. Do not solicit or advertise. Advertisements, chain letters, charity requests, petitions for signatures and any other commercial use or solicitation are prohibited.

5. Respect the privacy of others. Do not harvest or otherwise collect names, email addresses or other identifying information from other participants for any purpose other than our community spirited mission.

6. Do not steal. Post only those materials for which you have copyright. You may not post material that infringes the rights of others including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal or other proprietary rights. You acknowledge and agree that any materials you upload will be in the public domain.

(Name of forum) CANNOT REVIEW EVERY POSTING TO THE DISCUSSION FORUMS, VERIFY THE ACCURACY OF STATEMENTS MADE BY PARTICIPANTS OR DETERMINE WHETHER THE MATERIALS POSTED BY PARTICIPANTS VIOLATE THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. ACCORDINGLY, YOU AGREE TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY FOR THE CONTENT OF YOUR POSTINGS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY STATEMENTS OR MATERIALS POSTED ON THIS SITE.

We do, however, monitor the site the best we can. Any messages that, in our sole judgment, appear to violate the Forum Rules may be deleted without notice. We reserve the right to remove any posting and limit or terminate access to anyone for any reason at any time.

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Thanx. This is a very good idea.

12. Principessa

Gold Member

General Chat Room Rules

Intent of this section: This is a community of mutual respect. You will see this reflected throughout all of our rules. We have tried to set a standard that will keep everyone feeling safe and comfortable.
    • Respect each other and hosts.
    • Strong language and vulgarity are prohibited. Use a similar standard of language to what you might hear on major network TV, on the radio, or in any other public forum. Crude sex words are strictly prohibited. Using asterisks or other symbols in place of letters does not make a word okay to use. Please use common sense and courtesy. If you wouldn't say it in polite company you shouldn't say it here.
    • No personal insults to others.
    • No flaming others. If you don't like what someone has to say, the chat room gives you the option to ignore their posts. If you aren't sure how to do this, ask a host.
    • Members must request permission prior to starting a person-to-person chat.
    • Members have the right to refuse to give out any and all personal details.
    • Members have the right to refuse any request for person-to-person chat from another member. They may not, however, refuse a person-to-person chat from a host.
    • Request permission from hosts before beginning a private chat with them. Please respect the fact that hosts are responsible for multiple duties at the same time and do not request a PC with them unless it can't be handled in any other way. Also, please be understanding if they must decline to PC with you right away. It is very stressful for them to have to be in multiple PC's and monitor the room at the same time.
    • Request permission before emailing other members. Please don't assume that because they have their account set to receive emails that they will be welcome. New members may not understand that they have the ability to turn emails off.

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Please follow the following rules when using these forums. Failure to follow the rules listed below will result in:
    • a. your posts being deleted without warning
      b. your account suspended without warning
      c. your IP banned from the forums (did I say "without warning"?)
    Don't say you were not warned. The rules:
    • 1. No flaming. Do not verbally assault other posters. Do not swear at people. Be polite and civil.
      2. No whining. If you have something to complain about that is not constructive, take it to your mommy.
      3. No spamming. Say it clearly. Say it succintly. Say it once.
      4. No posting advocating or promoting illegal activity. No FBI stings here.
      5. No racism or any hate-based text, links, or images. Racists will burn in hell.
      6. No adult-oriented content nor any links to adult-oriented sites. Kids live here and we want this to be safe for them.
      7. No advertising nothing. Unless you pay vast sums of money first.
      8. Stay on topic. Don't veer off topic. If you want to change topic, start another topic.
      9. Don't byte the hand that feeds you. Remember that you are guests here; respect your hosts.
      10. Read before you post. Chances are someone has beat you to the punch.
      11. Post in the appropriate category and topic.
      12. Don't "bump" your topic if you feel you haven't received a timely response. Patience is not just a flower-child name.
      13. Always pick a number of days for your poll to run. Nothing lasts forever.
      14. No post whoring. No one word posts.
      15. No private conversations. Use PM, AIM, MSN, IRC, or any other acronym for that.
      16. Don't post large images. Always use jpeg format.
    A reminder: delete, suspend, ban if you fail to heed the above rules.

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

People who post a ToS from another site should really give certain generic details about that site.
    If a site is religious, family-oriented, of a certain political stripe, or whatever ... one might expect to see things reflected in the ToS.
    As the thread is currently running, we don't know if we're comparing apples to apples, apples to oranges, or apples to durians.
    Not very useful without certain details being given, at least in rough form.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

This is from a dating site which doesn't allow nude pics.

The Vast majority of threads are deleted by the community, here are some of the Reasons why a thread may become Deleted:

* Redundunt Thread
    * Thread Went Off Topic
    * Thread Topic was Hijacked
    * Turned into Chat Thread
    * Extensive Trolling/Offensive Topic Matter
    * Thread was severely Spammmed
    * Bashing, Insulting, Slamming other Posters
    * Libel/Slander Thread
    * Flame War
    * User Name in Thread Header or Opening Post
    * Polarized Thread
    * Excessive Sequential Replies/Post-Whoring
    * Illegal/Unlawful Thread
    * Copyright/Intellectual Property Infringment Thread
    * Non-English Language Thread
    * Improper Thread Format (Illegal UBB/HTML Code, CAPS, etc.)</B>

We can not tell you what happened to your Thread because:

1. We do not keep any Records of deleted Threads.
    2. We do not remember your Thread
    3. We do not have Time to report deleted Threads.

If your thread is suddenly gone, its for 1 of the Reasons above. Asking any Question beyond this point, is a waste of your and our time, because ...

1. We do not keep any Records of deleted Threads.
    2. We do not remember your Thread
    3. We do not have Time to report deleted Threads.

If you can't find your Thread, and you wish to complain about it, your complaint, like your Thread will get deleted, because we do not have Time for that. There is no bureaucracy on the Drawing Boards for such an Administrative Function either.
    Q) Why was I banned when I'm one of the "nice" ones and never flame anyone?

A) While "nice" posts are certainly encouraged, "nice" does not always insure that you are in adherence to the forum rules. A user can be rude and abrasive and still be within the forum rules while someone who is being perfectly polite may be breaking forum rules.
    The best way to make sure that you are correctly following the rules is to read and understand them. If you have any questions, please ask a moderator. It's what we're here for, and we much prefer educating a user to banning one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q) Why am I being banned when there are so many posts out there worse than mine?

A) There are less than a dozen moderators who log in on a daily basis, and there is an average of 6,000 new posts per day. There is no way that each and every post/thread that violates the rules can be eliminated immediately. This is why we appreciate the users who report violations and help us better utilize moderator hours.

Much like traffic cops; we can only penalize those violations that we observe. It is our hope that the possibility of a ban works as a deterrent to keep users posting within the forum rules and guidelines.

Also, keep in mind that "he/she is doing it, too" was not a valid excuse in kindergarten. It will not work here, either.

Each and every user will be held directly accountable for his posts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q) Moderators are picking on me, Why have I been singled out?

There are thousands upon thousands of forum users, while we do get to know a handful of the most regular users, by and large, moderators don't know who you are, and do not have the time to follow you around checking your every word, even if we did.

If you are continually being banned or having your posts/threads removed, consider the fact that you ARE breaking the rules, and need to take responsibility for your OWN behavior and modify it accordingly.

Moderators do not delete posts/threads arbitrarily. If it seems this way to you, that is probably because you have NOT fully read/understood the forum rules and posting guidelines. If you need more information about what is allowable to post, simply ask on of the moderators in email.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q) Why was I banned for defending myself? Don't I have that right?

If someone insults you, comments upon you personally in violation of the "on topic" regulations, etc. you may certainly report them to a moderator (either via email or by posting anonymously on the help/suggestions forum) and have the situation dealt with. If you reply to an individual in kind, or engage in off-topic exchange with that person you will be penalized to the same extent that they are, as you will have become a rule-breaker yourself in having done so. Retaliation is NOT a valid excuse for having broken forum rules.

You will be held accountable for your posts regardless of any provocation (real OR perceived).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q) Why are you banning me, aren't I entitled to a warning first?

A)While moderators do give warnings when they feel they are the most productive course of action,(we prefer to educate rather than penalize) some violations (whether through severity or frequency of occurrence) warrant bans. This is left to the discretion of the individual moderator.
    No one is "entitled" to a warning. Any and all violations are subject to forum bans at the discretion of administration/moderation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q)I've been banned for three years and wasn't notified, isn't that pretty harsh for my violation?

A)Moderators do not permanently ban users arbitrarily, such a ban is always contemplated very seriously.

If you have been banned for this amount of time, you may been recognized as a troll and/or troublemaker , or you may have been given adequate education/warning and still continue with the same forum violations repeatedly. Even relatively minor offenses can lead to permanent bans if they are flagrant ones.

We do not want to lose potentially contributive forum users, but neither will we tolerate continual and deliberate violations. Permanent banning is a last recourse when all other avenues have been exhausted.

When a forum user demonstrates to moderation that he/she either cannot grasp the concept of following the rules or refuses to, that user (in the best interests of the site experience of everyone else) will be permanently banned from the site.

It is not our policy to notify these individuals of the "whys" of our reasoning, as those users who require permanent banning have already demonstrated that they are incapable of comprehension.

Debating the validity of this course of action is counter productive and a waste of moderator hours in such a situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted