Total Lunar Eclipse

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Saturday's total lunar eclipse could be the "best in years". The eclipse begins at 2018, our time (GMT) with the Moon totally immersed in the shadow of the Earth between around 2244 and 2358.

During the total eclipse, only light that has been filtered through the Earth's atmosphere reaches the Moon's surface, which will make it appear a reddish colour.

The eclipse will be visible from the whole of Europe, Africa, South America, and eastern parts of the US and Canada.

I have just been out looking and the moon is huge and very very bright. The sky is the clearest I have seen it in a long while. It should be very interesting later on tonight.

I believe the East coast of the US is 5 hours behind us here in Tenerife so I have attached a link with info on timings elsewhere.

SPACE.com -- Last Chance Until 2007: Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oogah boogah. The world is coming to an end, all the computers are going to run backwards, planes will fall from the sky, dryers are going to spit out your lost socks, and dogs will be seen fucking cats.

I'm hiding under the bed.

I love pessimists. They taste like chicken.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We have about 1/3 coverage right now and the sky is still very clear.

It's a lovely balmy 70 degree night. Perfect for sitting out watching the events.

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I see nothing on the sky... well it IS an eclipse so not seeing anything is not that weird, but I got the feeling im missing it...
Are there websites where you can look at it?

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you should still see something though. the moon doesn't totally disappear, it turns rusty colored because of bent sunlight through the earth's atmosphere. Just love above your horizon where the moon should be in the east and you will see it.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That is the eclipse just gone total here and the moon has turned orangey red. It looks really weird through the binoculars.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It should be headbang, Im in New Jersey and I can't see it yet, although any minute it should be coming over the horizon. I'm going to higher ground to get a better vantage point. See you guys after.

It's over by 7 pm here though so start looking for the moon.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Completely clear sky, I can't even find the moon. That's reason to be sad enough on any night, nevermind missing this :mad:

If you have clear skies in the UK then you should not be able to miss it. It should be almost overhead you now. At the moment it looks more like Mars than the moon.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
If you have clear skies in the UK then you should not be able to miss it. It should be almost overhead you now. At the moment it looks more like Mars than the moon.

Indeed, my mistake, cursed chimney! Didn't realise it would be so small, looks likes like a standard moon for me though, grey/blueish, guess I missed it :frown1: