Totalling a Car out - Need Help

On Monday I will be contacting an Insurance Lawyer.

This particular lawyer deals with Insurance claims as well as accident claims.
Is that bad?

I'm going to call the insurance company on Monday and tell them that I need to put things on hold until my doctor appts are over.

Thanks for your help gang...I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a vehicle honestly...
I'm driving my truck, which needs major work.

If anybody knows of any:
84-87 Olds Cutlass/442's
86-87 Buick Regals GN's
82-86 Chevy Malibu 2 doors
GM RWD full frame cars for sale in your southern neighborhoods... please let me know. I am looking to come south anyway to NC, but willing to drive elsewhere too!
I'm tired of cars that completely fall apart and crush when I get hit.

Call them after you talk to the lawyer. He or she will tell you what to say and no, that's a great thing. It's just what you need.

You might also look for a Volvo of the same vintage as they are absolute tanks and easy to repair. The Olds Aurora is the safest car the US ever made. If you can find one, get it if accident-worthiness is your primary concern.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm looking for something that's just a beater that I can drop a big fat built 400cid engine into, and not have a ton of money to invest.

I've spent way too much money on the nice cars.
My truck got rear ended twice, my Grand Prix totalled by a deer and door dents, Bonneville #1 got smacked by an old fart, and now Bonneville #2, which I put a TON of money into.
Each vehicle, I was not at fault, and was left holding the bag.
I want something simple, cheap, easy.

Plus, with the salt they are using up here as of the last few years, It eats up everything lightning fast. No sense in buying a nice car anymore.

But yes - I will call tomorrow first thing and get some help before I allow them to do anything.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Called the attorneys office... They said everything sounds OK. Nothing abnormal from what they are doing. They said that it's a standard process for them to process the claims quickly, especially if they know the vehicle is totalled out.

They did say that the medical benefits are completely separate from the car's payout.
Just because they write me a check for the car, does NOT cancel or remove my health coverage, OR let them off the hook for covering me.

They didn't see any reason not to take the cash for the vehicle and be done with it.
I still can pursue other avenues if need be from the accident.

The deductible, according to them was standard - and that I can get it back by filing a mini-torte against the other driver, which my insurance company already put in for.

They are aware of my medical claims, and they are processing them - no issues so far.
The only thing the lawyer warned me of, was that the insurance company may "Pay a doctor of their choice to evaluate my condition" - which my attorney noted is where they can help more. When they start denying benefits from an auto accident, is where they can help.
Because they haven't really denied anything as of yet....Everything is "normal operating procedure"

Luckily my doctor wrote a script for X-rays, which I need to do tomorrow.
And...lucky me... I get to go to physical therapy to try and mend my back up.

Last edited:

Sweet news! That sounds great! I hope your back is on the mend soon.