Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lynx, I'm surprised anyone is wearing anything in your sauna or steamroom. I don't know what the custom is in Switzerland, but every time I visit German spas there are clear signs asking that all footwear, swimsuits and other "outside" items be kept out of the steamroom or sauna. Towels provided by the establishment are permitted, and everyone is expected to soap & shower thoroughly before entering a hot room. The times I have stayed at the Arabella Sheraton in Munich (which has a kickass pool and spa in the basement) I saw this cause quite a bit of confusion with the Americans and Russians, who were used to covering up everywhere. But the Germans, Austrians and Swiss using the facilities made clear to the others that their sandals, trunks and other attire were to stay out of the sauna and steamroom.

Here in the US, it seems people do whatever they want. The younger guys wear board shorts in all wet areas (even to shower! go figure), a lot of guys keep towels around them when walking in the wet area or even when sitting in the sauna/steamroom, and others hang their towels up outside the room. For the most part, I use 2 towels: one to fold and sit on (nude), and another to keep clean and dry for toweling off after showering.

As you can guess, I'm another one who thinks the whole trend of encouraging or enabling younger people to cover up at all times is leading to more societal neurosis. A society not fussed about reasonable social nudity is a society that gets along better.

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
depends on who is in there..if i catch them checking me out..I'll fling the towel open and spread my legs and lean back to give um a good look..like reinforcing lurker-behavior on the nude beach..otherwise..I'm a conformist..what I enjoy most is the flamers who walk in and then watch and see who walks out first in disgust..heh..heh..eeeewww..he touched his wee wee..yucky

B_willy5904

Sexy Member
Media
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Home in the States visiti
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I frequent a Korean Sauna and Spa. In the spa area nudity is required. You are required to shower and shampoo before entering the baths, steam room, or sauna. Towels are provided outside the spa in the locker room to dry off. The staff frowns on bringing the towels into the spa area.

Surprisingly, this establishment is getting very popular with non Asian patrons, both men and women. I was in the steam room the other day discussing with about 6 other non-Asian guys why they like going to this Korean Sauna. The overall response was that it was a great facility that was immaculately clean and everyone really enjoyed hangout naked in the spa.

We all find the baths very relaxing. One of the guys shared that his gym requires men to wear swim wear in the whirlpool bath and sauna. We all considered this to be a stupid rule. Someone suggested that the rule was made by a person that has too much modesty.

Like a earlier poster suggested; it's the human body, there is no need for modesty.
I say get over it and get naked.

D

deleted213967

My gym has evolved beyond the mere towel-wrapped trunk. The latest craze is the Full Monty, as in street clothes + street shoes + a raincoat, perhaps to maximize perspiration. Somehow, the old wives tale about passive sweating leading to fat loss lives on...

miamirt

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Don't do the steam room, can't tolerate the vapors but I do use the sauna - was just installed in gym I go to. It's mainly a gay gym and very relaxed atmosphere!

Sit on towel and always wear foot covering.

So UncutOakland, is this gym in FLL or Cali? Let me know where is FLL if in fact that is where it is. I'd like to check it out. :cool:

Kayden96

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my gym everything is mixed and I've yet to see free willy outside the locker room. There are three basic types of people in the locker room.
You have the people that must be utterly ashamed or something, because they swim, shower, and change with shorts on. They put on their shirt, wrap up in a towel and then drop their shorts like their afraid someone will find out they have a penis. This is mostly young strait guys.
Then you have the middle aged guys that get naked in the shower, wrap up with a towel to walk to their locker and then get dressed in short order, but are not overly bashful.
Lastly, you have the old guys that seemingly forgot they are naked. They kinda just amble about aimlessly attempting to strike up conversation with anyone in earshot. Shower, shave, piss, walk, talk, full body stretch... if they can do it, they do it naked... in the middle of the room... as loudly as possible.

D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I carry a towel to the shower and into the steam room, lay it down to recline. Nothing as relaxing after a workout as laying down naked in the steam room. Most guys at my club are very relaxed about nudity. I shave, brush, floss at the sink naked, shower, steam, use the urinal naked and carry a towel back to my locker after drying off, to dress never wrapping it around my waist. My town is an international resort and during high tourist seasons you get every different expression. I do not cover up for the inhibited tourists and sometimes it seems that they loosen up a bit when they see us locals so casually nude. I did my masters Psychology thesis on this topic, "Birthday Suit Therapy" supporting the well founded fact that stripped of our guises, we just naturally show up in a most authentic way. There is a lot of research to support this.

zp28

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
At the gym I go to we have a steam room. I always make time to relax after my workout. I have always been naked in the steam room and sat on my towel. Never even thought about it. Now they want to you to wear a swim suit or gym shorts. I like being naked in the steam room, not to show my stuff or anything, but just to relax and enjoy some quiet time before I go to work!

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You should always carry a towel {shower shoes} to sit
on in a gym,sauna or a nudist camp.
I don't want my bare ass sitting where someone else may have been who may not be as clean as I am!
I don't know why women/men feel the need to cover up in a sauna or steam room anyway. It's a body for God's sake just a body.
C.B.:saevil:

Right on!!! From the standpoint of persoanl hygiene, I'd never sit on anything other than my personal towel. Covering up is the least of my concerns, but I certainly do not want to acquire a community-associated MRSA or other type of infection.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ours has a sign posted to wear shorts but...

I tend to sit on my towel 'diaper style' so that I have something to sit on and my cock doesnt ' bang on the hot wood (ugh)... and depending on who is wearing what I can be naked or covered... (much prefer nude) but there is always one jerk so....

always love to see the furry well hung guy laying there in the dark on his back with a towel over his eyes...nice view...sweat dripping...

dc46064

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I live in the Indianapolis, Indiana Area. ( hey guys everyone should put where they are living, so we can see the difference from coast to coast) I do it differently the the norm. This area is towel people. No gang showers, no nudity except when you have no other choice. I take my cloths off and put into the locker. I then wrap a towel around myself . This is to and from all locker areas. In the sauna and steam room, I sit on my towel and dont care what anyone thinks. Been there, done that...... I dont worry about being naked at anytime. Has anyone thought of this? The younger ones with the towel dance- do you guys think it is from boys being raised with single mothers? No man in the house......

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think a towel is necessary, but not for covering yourself. As others have pointed out: it's to put something between you and whatever is on those nasty tile benches in steam rooms and wood benches in saunas. Desires aren't the only things that grow in a hot, steamy environment. For that reason, shoes -- those Nike / Speedo shower clogs, flip-flops, or surf shoes -- are absolutely necessary, too.

I used to live in California and I went to a Bally's gym that actually had a rule that men, in a same-sex lockerroom area, had to wear a bathing suit into the same-sex steamroom. Never agreed with that one and never asked, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't for health reasons.

Most of the guys at my current gym in Denver wear a towel in and roughly half will take it off, fold it, and then sit naked on it. It doesn't matter that much to me. There are exceptions, but generally, I think the older / more confident you are with your body, the more likely it is that you'll be nude.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I live in Northern Virginia. I carry a towel into the sauna, and sit on it; that's what most other guys do, too.