Towel in the Gym Sauna?

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have my own solution, I carry my towel in front of me, then sit on it, but I use the towel like a 'diaper'- if most of the folks are nude then I let the towel lie all the way flat, if some are clothed then I pick up the 'flap' of the towel and put it in my lap (like a sort of diaper if you will) I also tlike this configuration as I can still be comfortable (aka flopping).

we have one guy that several of us snicker about...he is like the towel police- he wears shorts, and a towel over his shoulders. he will then sit there and <GLARE> at anyone nude, he has even pretended to clear his throat (one guy said he saw him in the shower and made the universal 'hung like a gnat' gesture....) I realize this twit is uptight but...get over it. In fact he is so annoying several of us go nude just to annoy him....one day he stormed out when (unplanned) there were at least 8 of us nude in there....

fergusonsmith

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I NEVER cover ,myself with a towel in the sauna. I'm there to relax; it's practically the only place outside of my own home I can be naked, and if anyone there finds it difficult then I really don't care. And you never know, somebody might get frisky and that can be fun too.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
oh and *always* flip flops...all it takes is to get athletes foot once....that is the worst...trying to scratch your feet with your shoes on....

mcdestination

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in the Indianapolis, Indiana Area. ( hey guys everyone should put where they are living, so we can see the difference from coast to coast) I do it differently the the norm. This area is towel people. No gang showers, no nudity except when you have no other choice. I take my cloths off and put into the locker. I then wrap a towel around myself . This is to and from all locker areas. In the sauna and steam room, I sit on my towel and dont care what anyone thinks. Been there, done that...... I dont worry about being naked at anytime. Has anyone thought of this? The younger ones with the towel dance- do you guys think it is from boys being raised with single mothers? No man in the house......

I live in Indipls, no matter YMCA and LAfitness, it pretty much no nudity allow in sauna and whirlpool. You will see a sign siad Swimsuite are required. guys would wear fully clothes with their street shoes inside a sauna. that really pissing me off while i'm using sauna.

wpgman

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
At my gym I always just sit on a towel in the sauna. It is a mixture there, some guys are nude sitting on a towel and others are wrapped in a towel. I don't think anyone there cares about guys sitting nude as long as a towel is used. Even many of the college guys will sit nude.

Mafia357

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My gym has nude steam room next to showers. Most shower and walk nude into steam room and hang nude (sit on towel). Even one shower in middle of room if u feel daring can stand nude showering in front of everyone!

I sit on a towel in the steam room at my Y. I walk naked from my locker to the shower to rinse off, then use the hot tub nude followed by another trip to the shower to rinse off then walk to the steam room nude. Once done there, I have my full shower before heading to my locker nude. I really don't see the point in covering up after I have stripped off my sweaty gym clothes.

Captain Elephant

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ive been to an onsen (japanese bath house) and its all no clothes allowed in the sauna and hot bath, but you have to cover your private part when you walk around with a small towel provided (just for modesty and to control it so it doesnt flap people in the head while you walk lol)

but in the western sauna i dont think its apropriate to go skinny dipping in public bath house though..

Interesting that you mention an onsen, because until I went to Japan I always had a towel around me anywhere in the locker room/sauna/steam. But after that first trip I've always been natural without being self-conscious. It's not that I'm buff - I just don't give a shit.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Our downtown YMCA has the only sauna and steam room of the four Y's in our town. I joined this December, and noticed very few are nude in the rooms, but I usually am (on a towel). Seems to scare away some of the younger guys, but I almost feel like I'm on a mission to open the guys up to nudity by example. I'm not obese like many in there, but could lose a little around the waist. So far, only one guy told me there were rules posted outside the rooms enforcing towel-wearing, but I checked and he was mistaken.

bigdog83

Sexy Member
Media
funny......never cared....always went in with pants or towel. Till I started going to Vegas alot....and going to some spas. They actually have signs "clothing optional". And if you a bathing suit on, you look funny. That is what got me comfortable walking around nude. Nothing beats going in the hot tub, then hitting the ice room. being nude makes it so much relaxing.

then i come back to NJ, where the gym sauna says "towel required at all times".....I go to the sauna to relax. I now go naked but just cover my front with a towel but just the fact of having the towel there and keeping the covered part dry of sweat, it just takes alway from it all.

gyms should have co-ed saunas if you cant be naked.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've lived overseas too long. Public saunas are usually co-ed and naked. There are male or female only nights but usually couples go together. Everyone sits on a towel and it's rare to see someone wrapped in one. If anything a woman will wrap her hair but that's about it.

I was in New Orleans a few years ago and got a day pass to a spa in the burbs (Frankos in Covington). I enjoyed the entire facility and at the end of the day I showered and went to the sauna. Now, this was in the men's locker room - men only. I sat on my towel and a guy opened the door and told me I needed to put on a swim suit. Nudity in the wet area was not allowed. I was all alone - not one other person anywhere near the sauna, steam room or hot tub. I mentioned this and the fact that wearing clothes was counter productive to why you're there. He said that's the rules. I showered and left.

Here in Atlanta I've gone to a Korean spa JeJu which has total required nudity in the men's area. Lots of Asians and Russians go there and are never embarrassed; never cover up when walking around, sitting in the sauna or showers. That's what I'm talking about. Men being comfortable among men. And we're talking about a very straight environment.

shroomhead77

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always carry my towel to sit on, but that's it.

I noticed something very interesting lately...I belong to 2 gyms...one is very business/professional/mostly straight...the other is predominantly gay. I go to each depending on where I am that day. Anyways, the "straight" gym is much more open with nudity and guys don't care. However, the "gay" gym, the guys stay wrapped up in towels and there is far too much "looky-loo'ing" and trying to peek up inside the towel. I've almost given up on the gay one entirely b/c its too cruisy...its just a perfect location a few days a week. Ah well, I'm going to make the move to the more straight/nude friendly one.

Cecilfirefox

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I feel like there are some people in the locker room that sorta put themselves out there- where you almost feel like their nudity is forced, or in some effort showing off, or perhaps... Like, not being able to be naked around people for whatever reason so taking advantage of it now?

Am I the only one? <_^

azladd

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The LA Fitness here in Phoenix require a bathing suit in the sauna. They even have it posted now.Hardly any of the mainstream gyms allow nudity here.

hd4me2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Small towel and flip-flops to prevent possible infections. Full nudity as well and not packing a hell of a lot! Doesn't bother me. I'm one of the few unphased by nudity in the locker room.

D

deleted3782

The LA Fitness here in Phoenix require a bathing suit in the sauna. They even have it posted now.Hardly any of the mainstream gyms allow nudity here.

Same with my gym. I've been a member for years and have never gone in the sauna or steam room for fear it will be filled with pervs like myself.

On the other hand, I've been in mixed saunas in Vienna where everyone was well behaved and attractive. I felt quite comfortable perving in that setting...in reality, I don't check people out in the sauna because I enjoy not doing the obvious. :tongue:

azladd

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Same with my gym. I've been a member for years and have never gone in the sauna or steam room for fear it will be filled with pervs like myself.

On the other hand, I've been in mixed saunas in Vienna where everyone was well behaved and attractive. I felt quite comfortable perving in that setting...in reality, I don't check people out in the sauna because I enjoy not doing the obvious. :tongue:

Yeah its sad. People with no couth or self control have ruined if for others. Some guys just dont know how to go into a sauna and just admire the male body instead of hitting on whoever walks in.