Tpq #1

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Jul 14, 2007.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

So, there have been comments recently about this site not being what it used to be in terms of the quality of posts, and the thoughtfulness that goes into them. This was done on another forum that I was a member of years ago, and I thought I'd bring it to you. From now on, I will be posting a "Thought Provoking Question" every week. Feel free to respond, debate, and do whatever else you wanna do!

Question 1
    [FONT=Verdana, Sans-Serif]What would happen if we found a way to use 100% of our brain potential?[/FONT]

2. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some think this would cause us to go insane. I don't really think it would do that but I think we would be able to do things that seem impossible like maybe manipulating things without using our bodies to touch them. I think it was Einstein that said if we used 100% of our brains we would no longer need our bodies. We would just be energy. I'm not sure if it was him that said that but I think it was.

3. No_Strings

Gold Member

Exactly what is happening now, only faster.

4. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    Sorry to ignore the actual objective of this post, but as far as that criticism in the quote, it is obviously unwarranted. I'm the type who, on average, gets involved in one post a month. Sometimes I disappear for 3-6 months, sometimes I post on one topic a week. You never know. But clearly in the last week, the $60 membership topic, in spite of being moved to a virtually untouched region of the boards, has been one of the most productive and (if thoughtfully understood) influencial topics in my history here (~3 years as a registered member, longer before that as I was too young to join)

5. crescendo69

Gold Member

There is no way to know the answer without using 100%. I just hope we don't become those ugly brains in glass domes like I saw in "Star Trek".

6. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'm totally confused. What criticism did I give? I read threads within the past week where people stated that this site has gone downhill in their opinions, and that a lot of posts aren't very long or very deep anymore. I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while, so I did it. Not once did I say that NONE of the threads are interesting or enlightening or even intelligent. Nor did I say that I shared the opinions. I just said that people had made comments that there are fewer of those posts around. Don't jump my back because I started a thread, thanks.

7. scottbud

scottbud Active Member

Albums:
    I think we would all have cocks the size of our legs as we would be able to control our bodies completly as well as things around us. we would have wifi in our heads. dodedodododedodo.

8. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    Certainly no "jumping of the back" here. I just do not thing that posts have gone downhill and become unintelligent. I've seen some horrible periods, note the summer of 2006 where everyone was cutting each others' throats for example, where it has been a deterant from participating on the boards. I just don't see it here right now. We're probably reading different topics, but I'm seeing some good discussion and definitely some board improvement suggestions flying too and fro - and I find continual improvement to be a good point of interest.

9. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Well, that's your opinion and you have a right to it. The thread of which I mainly speak is this one, in case you are interesting in reading it.
    http://www.lpsg.org/et-cetera-et-cetera/54855-the-lowest-common-denominator-thread.html

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

To get the thread back on track, I'll say this much... at this moment in time, I can't even wrap my head around what it could POSSIBLY be like if all humans used 100% of their brain capacity. I'm just completely in awe. I can almost guarantee that talking would be a less common thing... people could read others thoughts. Other than that, I have NO clue!!! Could be pretty amazing to experience, though.

11. Freddie53

Gold Member

I appreciate your effort to improve the LPSG. I will answer your question in a moment. I don't thinkt the site has really gone down hill as much as it has changed. Back when we were smaller the same topic would stay on the first page for several days without a post before it went to page 2. Now a thread can go to page 2 within hours in some of the fourms. I think that factor causes some really good threads to fall out ot view before that really get a chance to develop. Also some of the posters that are gone were intellectual giants. We still have some. But there wre one or two that really lead the board.

Let's face it change is hard. And we have changed. It is better for some. Gone down hill for others and then some thing it is about the same.

Now to the topic at hand. They say that there is a fine line between brilliance and insanity. I would venture to say that as a rule, the "gooe" people would be better than ever and the "bad" people wouldl also be worse than ever before.

As a teacher, I would have students that were brilliant and couldn't use the brilliance. Nothing challenged them. I think there would be a lot more of that. On the other hand, the brilliant ones who really found a purpose would figure out so much that we don't know now.

It would affect stategy in football and all other sports games as coaches would have better mental skills to plan a strategy to win.

The area that would absolutely astound all of us would be math. The ability to figure out things through mathematical processes would mushroom discovery. In history, we would be able to learn a lot more of the past and hopefully understand better what went right in the past and also what went wrong.

I would love to know what it would do with religoin and spirituality. Would we be able to figure our God or would we be able to discover that God is in our mind? I'm a Christian who believes in God, but I am open minded enough to consider the possibilities what humans could figure out in the spiritual world where God and God like figures would be if they exist.

WE would still have the same number of lazy people. Being lazy has nothing to do with IQ, but the culture and personality.

This is an interesting thread. The good thing is that there are no right or wrong answers here. It is strictly a debate thread which I love. The hopthetical realm is fun to discuss and debate. By debate I mean in the classical aense, not an argument.

Spell check is not working and Freddie's eyes aren't either! Hope I didn't type many mistakes. I'm having trouble seeing.

12. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    I really like your post. I'll say what I can to convey the unconveyable.

There is no religion, no spirituality. Both are merely concepts of our mind to distinguish one thing from another.. the religious/spiritual from the non-religious/non-spiritual. But in the reality of the universe, it understands no existence nor non-existence of these concepts. Anarchy? another mere concept., the universe knows no such thing. We labeled it with our dualistic minds.

Laziness, IQ, culture, personality? They don't exist. We made them up and we believe in them. In doing so we drive ourselves farther away from true understanding.

Arguements? Hardly; for if we didn't contrive such things, we'd understand that they really aren't there.

The key to understanding the true process of the universe is to understand not only that there is vast existence beyond humanity (we like to be very vain), but much further to understand that there is nothing and everything at the same time. Furthermore, there is no nothing nor everything... there just is.

13. Love-it

Gold Member

I wouldn't have time to be on LPSG.

14. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thank you for your topic, heck I thank you for your presence here at LPSG.
    You always bring more to this site than most posters, myself included.
    Sure it is fun to be silly and frivolous but every now and again it is good to check in with reality and find a balance in this world.
    As to your question - using 100% of our brains, hmmm, now that would be something. Then again some brains would be frightening, while others would provide a benefit.

15. dong20

Gold Member

In terms of % brain use front the popular notion that Humans use a small (10-15%) of its capacity is rather a contentious one, not least because, to my knowledge it's never been detirmined what 100% of human brain capacity is.

I also think it's worth drawing a distinction between brain and mind:

The brain, as an organ undertakes many autonomic or unconcious functions that would not normally be considered part of our cognitive processes, or mind. But mental illness or injury (a stroke for example) may cause those processes to be interrupted or to fail.

This may sound rather philosophical, but it's evident that the application of mind (or will, if you prefer) is able to re-assert them which suggests that where any boundaries between mind and brain may lie is fuzzy at best. In that regard I think the potential of the Human mind cannot be easily pidgeonholed, this is perhaps the better question to address.

Back on the philosophical front, if Humans as a species reached 100% of our potential what would be left to strive for? We may then 'evolve' in which case a new 'target' would be set. Perhaps that would be an inevitable result should we ever reach or even approach that point.

Or, we could stagnate. If that were to happen, one could argue therefore that achieving 100% may, actually, be undesirable.

If you can find a copy, have a look at Dormancy of the Human Brain by T.D.A. Lingo.

By coincidence there is a TV documentary series about this very subject. It's showing in the UK at the moment.

My Brilliant Brain | Throng

16. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I think if one is ''open minded'' and ''Tolerant'' of other opinions LPSG is an oyster of wonderfull thoughts and beautifull minds. Knowing the true meaning of the words is lost on a few and they are missing so much.:smile:

17. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

What do you mean by brain potential?

Do you mean the urban legend that we only "use" 10% of our brains? That's false, we use 100% of our brains (which is why getting a brain injury really sucks rather than it just being "oh well, good thing that bullet hit the 90% I don't use!" ).

Using 100% of our brains capacity at one time would presumably be a very strange experience, as you'd have to be thinking logically, accessing memory, perceiveing, tasting, smelling, feeling heat...

18. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

I think Some has something here.

We probably need a part of our brain to be "in reserve" part of the time. We also have specialized areas that might be working at cross purposes if they were all "firing" off at the same time.

Still, if we could coordinate and effectively use 100%, I don't think it would necessarily mean instant insanity, but it could be rather frustrating if we were ourselves functioning at 100% and still having to deal with others who were functioning at significantly lower percentages.

19. Biggie77

Biggie77 New Member

To further this argument. We do in fact use 100% of our brains. Controlling involuntary functions like breathing, heart beat, etc., requires tremedous resources. It's like if your computer had a bit torrent client, fractal generator, protein folding (Folding@Home Distributed Computing) all running at the same time with a full suite of office apps open.

The brain is so complex that it is rather foolish to pin down capacity on crude precentages. To further the computer analogy, it is like saying I have a faster CPU therefore I'm faster (i.e., smarter). One needs to take into account RAM, harddrive speed, cables, cache sizes, dual processors, etc. And our brain is a LOT more complex than even that.

Consider a a person meditating. They slow their heart beat and breathing and focus. This cuts the involuntary stuff to a bare minimum so they can use their processing power to attain levels of enlightment (or just solve a problem).

Now, absolute intelligence is probably luck of the draw, but a think people can attain more intelligence with practice and learning. Learning to learn so to speak. I've taught myself a great deal over the years. I've learned multivariant calculus, advanced chemistry along with fine woodworking, writing, plumbing, electricity, etc. I taught myself how to learn. To be honest it is as simple as figuring out what works for you. Trial and error. Once you pin down your own operating system you'll be master of it.

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

This is what I want to know as well!

Draft saved Draft deleted