Tpq #2

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Jul 19, 2007.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Alright... Thought Provoking Question #2!

What would happen if there was no money in the world? What would that be like? What would you do if you didn't have to earn money to survive?

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

People have been trading goods for as long as there have been civilizations, even before the concept of tokens as monetary representations.

Money is just a representation of the value of goods/labor that is traded.

3. dong20

Gold Member

More people may actually contribute to society in ways that actually made a difference. Unhindered by a need to chase the $ the human race may actually grow up. After all, money is merely a concept of value that moves from ledger to ledger, it has no intrinsic value of its own. It's also possible it may help in achieving TPQ#1.

Of course, it's also possible that, being the self destructuve creatures we too often are we would merely find another way to insert division, inequality and oppression into our lives.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I agree that we'd do lots of trading. But I wonder how it would be. Would we trade washers and dryers for used cars? Would we stop driving and start walking/biking again? Would we revert back to "old ways" or continue in the same lifestyles that we lead today?

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you were totaly self sufficient you would not need money. Like the hunter and gatherer societies or pure communism. But as long as you need something someone else has got you will need to barter or pillage. Your choice. :smile: Money makes bartering easier.

What would I do if I didn't have to earn money to survive? Retire.

Our US money is becoming worthless by the minute so your wish of not having any money may come true sooner than you think. When was the last time you have seen so many Canadians vacationing here?

6. No_Strings

Gold Member

Craftsmen would be laughing all the way to the bank... oh damn! :tongue:

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

There would be no budget deficit.

Wouldn't it be neat if you could swap on ebay instead of sell?

8. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think people would just exchange goods and services.

9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

That depends - if it happened overnight and I still had all the stuff I have now, I'd just go out and take what I needed by force - starting at the ammo store, and I wouldn't be the only one.

If it had always been that way nothing would be that different - barter and money are the same thing and it is practically impossible to be 100% self-sufficient.

10. Onslow

Gold Member

Gee, how do you think some homeless folks live? They live off of discards of food and clothing. Smoke selected cigarette stubs they locate along the street and sleep on tossed out linens and mattresses and other items. Collect water from water fountains and bathe in the sprinkler at the park (among other places--I myself have found the Greyhound bus stations to be very nice for cleaning up).

Then there's the wildnerness approach--gather nuts and berries and catch an occasional possum or squirrel or even a rabbit or some other wild animal of the smaller variety or a fish in the local stream or brook or pond. The world is filled with lots of tasty goodies for the taking and a home in a cave or a properly constructed shack takes care of a mailing address. As for cooking, certain ancient societies had flame keepers who kept a little flame going on a regular basis which they carried around and that took care of starting a cooking fire and in colder weather the cooking fire could then be transformed into the heating system. Ever watch a homeless person prepare their vittles over a trash can? Trash can baked potatoes and dachshund make a great meal, and the warmth from the fire is a welcome on a grim and frozen day.

Bartering always works well, a few hours of helping in a construction project for some clothes or a blanket or a meal. Or tend a person's vegetable garden or other crops or look after their animals and get something in return.

There are groups of people who live in communes where the need of cash is vastly if not completely reduced.

Work on a farm and get meals and residence for free and often even the clothing is tossed in (usually only if you ask).

And there are ways to acquire parcels of land for free after which you chop down the trees with the borrowed axe and the community joins together and helps build the home--in exchange, you do the same for them when they need to add to their domicile.
    '
    There's always a method to survive even if cash isn't at hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted