Tracy Morgan's comments: can't believe it!

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
That's not the issue. The issue is that these guys care enough to post -- that they don't care. That makes no sense. What it speaks to is a "cooler than thou" atmosphere, which I've actually heard goes on at this forum lately. It's been months since I've tried to have a conversation on this forum, and now that I am -- I see that what I've heard is true: it's hard to have a conversation on this forum anymore. This forum is a good place for dick pictures, and apparently nothing else. I mean, don't get me wrong; I love dick pictures, and they'll keep me coming back here. But I'm obviously gonna hve to go back to just not looking for conversations here. lol

uncut_1234

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well maybe it's not just a joke. I think the o.p. is suggesting that joke or not the comments were offensive and hurtful, as they would be were they made about someone of any particular race, gender, etc.

even if he wasnt joking, still, who cares?
how could anyone be so concerned with what ONE person said ?
last time i checked the world was a cruel place, full of intolerant people, stop and think about the kind of stuff thats goin on in this world.. and then re-evaluate how important this really is to you guys..
who cares?

uncut_1234

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That's not the issue. The issue is that these guys care enough to post -- that they don't care. That makes no sense. What it speaks to is a "cooler than thou" atmosphere, which I've actually heard goes on at this forum lately. It's been months since I've tried to have a conversation on this forum, and now that I am -- I see that what I've heard is true: it's hard to have a conversation on this forum anymore. This forum is a good place for dick pictures, and apparently nothing else. I mean, don't get me wrong; I love dick pictures, and they'll keep me coming back here. But I'm obviously gonna hve to go back to just not looking for conversations here. lol

a conversation happens when people offer up different opinions on things and discuss them
you made a 1 line opening post, than apparently expected everyone to rush in and lynch the guy.. now youre upset it hasnt happened.. stop worrying about what one person says, and more importantly dont stomp your feet and blame everyone else and "the forums" as a whole, because your thread didnt go the exact direction you had planned
this conversation you are seeking cant take place with you getting offended every time someone doesnt express the same views as yourself

two-fister

Cherished Member
Media
Baker Island (U.S. Minor Outlying Islands)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
These comments remind me of Michael Richard's racist rant from a few years back. Anyone heard from him since? Granted, it's not that Tracy Morgan was a superstar or anything. But I think it's probably over for him now.

More than homophobia, I can't believe that someone would "joke" about killing their own son!

the difference between what Tracy Morgan said and what Michael Richards said was that Tracy's were part of his routine...while Michael Richard's were directed at specific audience members. Not that I'm condoning what Tracey said...but it was a JOKE(albeit a poor one)...plenty of comics make homo-phobic and racist jokes. Do some cross the line?...well I guess that's up to each individual's personal taste.
Sara Silverman, Daniel Tosh, Lisa Lampenelli(sp?) ..all have made some pretty racist jokes. The big thing here is that Tracy is on a hit T.V. show.
So whatever he says is going to get blown up. Again I want to make it clear that I don't agree with what he said...but I really don't think it's the same as Micheal Richard's comments.

my 2 cents.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
He went way to far with his comments. He is also a moron if he thinks that you can be a mainstream TV star and still do the "risque comedy routine thing" without people being offended. The reason people are reacting badly to this story is that the man is somewhat a household name therefore he is basically given "a voice". If he starts saying thoughtless and homophobic shit then he is not using his position of power for good. He is in the public spotlight, he should know by now what is and is not acceptable.

Also, if he wants to keep getting a paycheck from his job he should keep his mouth shut about things which are liable to cause widespread offence. You lose certain liberties when you get to the position he is in.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
For every celebrity who gets caught on tape making this sort of statement, there are 1000 (100,000? 100,000,000?) anonymous bigots who are saying the same thing to the handful of people they have contact with.

That's what's depressing.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I did not even know who he was until I saw this thread. But fuck him... so many children are abused, beaten or harassed by parents and peers for being gay and none of it is legal. It's hate speech plain and simple and trying to dress it up as acceptable because it is part of a routine is as offensive as his comments.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The guy is as fugly as it gets...Karma = BITCH

Seconded.

Henry Miller. I agree that that kind of ignorance is unacceptable as well. But I (and obviously a few others) don't exactly understand what you are trying to get out of the rest of us. Is there some specific response you're looking for?

The lack of interest may also be due to the fact that there are at least 1000 threads in this forum about things like this. No use getting bent out of shape over it.

And you said it yourself, this site is better for sex pics, after it's the lpsg. Not to say that more intellectual and social topics can't be discussed here, but one dumbass celeb's homophobic comments aren't exactly the kind of thing that spark the interest of this forums more abstract members.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've never been a fan of Morgan's. His stint on SNL was always something of a mystery to me; I never felt that he was anything but a token and he basically coasted through eight seasons, producing nothing of merit. I also felt the same way about Victoria Jackson, too, and her reactionary political opinions have made it easy to ignore whatever she's doing now, too.

I stayed with Nick8 during last November's meet-n-greet in NYC, and he introduced me to 30 Rock (I haven't watched network TV since 2004). The show's got lots of great moments, but, as with SNL, he coasts through his part there, too. One gets the feeling that he must have some really terrible info on someone of importance over at NBC, because the man's a talentless hack.

Joking about killing your kid (for whatever reason) is ugly, but in this age of It Gets Better vids and other attempts at positive support for LGBT youth, it's really inexcusable. I've seen links (though haven't bothered clicking them) that Tina Fey is attempting some sort of damage control/spin in his defense; ugh! That just turns my stomach.

My opinion is that this isn't a censorship thing, it's a decency thing. Some "jokes" are better left unsaid, especially if they fuel existing animosities and, potentially, incite violence. Young gay people have enough to deal with without this moron's help.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I will not watch a TV show that has Tracy Morgan in it.
If I am aware that an advertiser buys time during a TV show with Tracy Morgan in it, I will not buy their products.
I will not buy tickets to a movie that has Tracy Morgan in it.

From now on, neither Tracy Morgan, nor anybody who makes money off of Tracy Morgan, will get another dime from me. I have successfully done this with Mel Gibson, Christian Slater, and Michael Richards, and Tracy Morgan is on the list. No entertainer who is violent toward women, openly racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, or anti-religious will get my money. Period.

People must be free to worship as they please, be who and what they are, and love whomever they choose, and those who would set limits on those freedoms will get none of my trade. Ever.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
If I am aware that an advertiser buys time during a TV show with Tracy Morgan in it, I will not buy their products.

From now on, neither Tracy Morgan, nor anybody who makes money off of Tracy Morgan, will get another dime from me. I have successfully done this with Mel Gibson, Christian Slater, and Michael Richards, and Tracy Morgan is on the list. No entertainer who is violent toward women, openly racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, or anti-religious will get my money. Period.

People must be free to worship as they please, be who and what they are, and love whomever they choose, and those who would set limits on those freedoms will get none of my trade. Ever.

Although I suggest that you just ever-so-slightly over-react, this is just a small part of why I love you.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Although I suggest that you just ever-so-slightly over-react, this is but a small part of why I love you.