Trade talks: Romo for Cutler straight up

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was a little surprised at this.

I thought Dallas was in love with Tony Romo. But they are in talks with the Broncos about a deal sending Romo to Denver for Cutler.

I knew Cutler wanted out of Denver, but wow. What a blockbuster deal this would be.:eek:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there's a bit of a building consensus that Romo does not have the work ethic and/or competitive nature needed to lead Dallas to a championship.

One thing, I don't ever remember seeing a game where he [Romo] brought them from behind to win a game. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing him even protect a small lead.

We'll see. Could be interesting. Romo had a truly awful year last year. Of course, Cutler is a bit of a loose cannon out there, too.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Either way, without T.O. their receiving corps sucks now.

I cannot believe what they give up for Roy Williams...

they could have secured Anquan Boldin for a similar trade...and Boldin is far better.

Cutler has a great arm, is mobile, and is a couple years younger than Romo, and has a bit of brashness Dallas needs.

Romo has a weak arm and Cutler has a huge upside, while Romo has already peaked.

They are still screwed when it comes to WR's.

unbelievable what they gave up for Roy Williams. At least if they could not have traded for Boldin, they had a mid first round draft pick, and could have grabbed one of the top WR's coming out in the draft, Like Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin or Darius Heyward Bey, all serious burners with huge playmaking potential.

Now, they have no 1st round pick, T.O. is gone and Roy Williams is their #1. Crayton sucks and their other guys with potential, Hurd and Austin are not big time.

colossal fuckup on their part.

Now teams will be able to laod the box to stop Barber and Felix Jones, as the only pass catcher to worry about is Witten, who defenses can now bracket since they do not have to worry about T.O.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well you nailed it on several fronts.

In '07, Dallas's line was just as good as New England's. That's why Romo could lounge around back there and check down 3, 4 options. Last year he actually had to perform like a regular NFL QB and he sucked.

Williams might surprise you, tho. He's got size, great hands and good ups.

Jones and Barber are pretty good receivers coming out of the backfield; and Tashard Choice is a surprisingly good back - which no one knew until Jones got hurt. Jones is so fast and explosive, I think they'll work him into the passing scheme bigtime this year.

Crayton is mediocre at best.

You're right; Romo has an average arm and Cutler has a cannon.

Although now I see Denver is looking at brokering Cutler to Cleveland for Anderson or Quinn.

I fucking knew when they signed Williams that they were going to axe TO at the end of the season. Knew it.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok well first off I think this trade is good for both teams. I think Romo would be a better fit in denver, and Cutler in dallas. With that said, I think mugs are blowing things out of proportion when they say Romo had a truly horrible year. He wasn't doing too bad until he broke his finger.

Combined with a fairly ass O-line and the walking temper tantrum that TO is (although I love him), he didn't do horrible. He was actually pretty good until he got hurt. And he played those next few games upon return with a broken finger on his throwing hand. You need your pinky to throw a ball. I think the play calling was pretty horrible if anything. Romo got put into a lot of those sticky situations because they never gave marion the barbarian the ball, and felix jones got hurt as well during the season.

That said, I think Cutler has a perfect arm and he is enough of a punk ass to be brazen enough to rock dallas. Romo would be better on a run first denver oriented team, although they have a new coach now so who knows.

I hope Cutler magically lands in San Fran, however.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok well first off I think this trade is good for both teams. I think Romo would be a better fit in denver, and Cutler in dallas. With that said, I think mugs are blowing things out of proportion when they say Romo had a truly horrible year. He wasn't doing too bad until he broke his finger.

Combined with a fairly ass O-line and the walking temper tantrum that TO is (although I love him), he didn't do horrible. He was actually pretty good until he got hurt. And he played those next few games upon return with a broken finger on his throwing hand. You need your pinky to throw a ball. I think the play calling was pretty horrible if anything. Romo got put into a lot of those sticky situations because they never gave marion the barbarian the ball, and felix jones got hurt as well during the season.

That said, I think Cutler has a perfect arm and he is enough of a punk ass to be brazen enough to rock dallas. Romo would be better on a run first denver oriented team, although they have a new coach now so who knows.

I hope Cutler magically lands in San Fran, however.

I don't disagree, but one problem with Romo's arm, is that it will be a problem in Denver.

The altitude will help, but a relatively weak arm in a snowy windy atmosphere for late october, november and december will be a disaster.

also, they have a brand new coach. Denver has two great WR's in Marshall and Royal, both young too (if Marshall can stay out of trouble)

the one concern would have to be Romo's arm and turnover problems in a place where high winds, freezing cold and blizzards are standard.

Elway and Cutler had arms that were virtually unaffected by anything. I have never seen Romo fire a bullet to a wr. he throws deepouts and long balls with absolutely zero zip.

T.O. is undoubtedly a lunatic, but when they worked well together, there is no denying that T.O. definitely helped make Romo look great.

you mentioned that Romo did not do too badly last year, i agree, but look what happened the year before when T.O. went down towards the end of the season with the high ankle sprain...Romo looked utterly helpless.

not to mention, he would not have Witten in Denver, which is a huge loss...Witten is awesome.

I also have to disagree about Denver being "run first". maybe in previous years they were, but

last year Dallas was 547 passes 401 rushes
last year Denver was 620 passes 387 rushes

in 2007 Dallas was 531 passes 419 rushes
in 2007 Denver was 515 passes 429 rushes

in 2006 Denver was much more run oriented (Cutler's first year) 454 passes 488 rushes

i think as Cutler flourished, they clearly became a pass oriented team, not to metion the development of Marshall and Royal, who are both excellent young players, but the Denver RB's are nowhere near the combo of Barber and Jones...

who knows though...i do not think the trade will happen between Dallas and Denver.

Alot of people want Cutler

the rumors are flying that
Chicago wants him badly
Cleveland wants him badly (and they have Quinn as trade bait)
Detroit wants him badly (and they have Calvin Johnson for him to throw to, plus two first round draft picks this year to trade for Cutler)

Tampa Bay is apparently very interested as are the Jets

it is rare that a pro bowl caliber QB at the age o 25 comes on the market like this, and there is alot that can be gotten in return.

a proven pro bowl QB who is 25 years old, is worth a fortune in terms of draft picks...He is worth two 1st rounders

that could be what he is worth to a team like Cleveland, who could trade Quinn and their first rounder this year to Denver...Denver would have a competent young QB with potential (whose contract is tiny in comparison), and two 1st rounders this year (the #5 pick and #12 pick) that would be tremendous for Denver, because they really need some defensive help, and two picks in the Top 12 would be huge for them...they need a DT and an MLB really badly and there are some good ones this year.

but who knows? It will definitely be interesting to watch it play out.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also have to disagree about Denver being "run first". maybe in previous years they were, but

last year Dallas was 547 passes 401 rushes
last year Denver was 620 passes 387 rushes

in 2007 Dallas was 531 passes 419 rushes
in 2007 Denver was 515 passes 429 rushes

in 2006 Denver was much more run oriented (Cutler's first year) 454 passes 488 rushes

i think as Cutler flourished, they clearly became a pass oriented team, not to metion the development of Marshall and Royal, who are both excellent young players, but the Denver RB's are nowhere near the combo of Barber and Jones...

I think it had more to do with Denver having 7 running backs sidelined during the season than anything else. I mean for real, their running back situation was a disaster last year. But regardless, that is probably a moot point now because of the new regime that has taken over.

And to be honest, even though it is Denver, I don't remember too many games the Broncos have played in blizzard like conditions over the last few years. I don't remember Cutler playing in one. And Jake Plummer did fine there and his arm is more like Romos. And as you mentioned, with a wr core like they have now a qb can get away with plenty.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it had more to do with Denver having 7 running backs sidelined during the season than anything else. I mean for real, their running back situation was a disaster last year. But regardless, that is probably a moot point now because of the new regime that has taken over.

And to be honest, even though it is Denver, I don't remember too many games the Broncos have played in blizzard like conditions over the last few years. I don't remember Cutler playing in one. And Jake Plummer did fine there and his arm is more like Romos. And as you mentioned, with a wr core like they have now a qb can get away with plenty.

very true, but is not so much a blizzard as it is bitter cold and wind. Don't forget, Romo played half his games in Texas Stadium, where wind is not a factor, but always seemed to suck late in the season in the freezing and windy Meadowlands, Philly, and Washington.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
very true, but is not so much a blizzard as it is bitter cold and wind. Don't forget, Romo played half his games in Texas Stadium, where wind is not a factor, but always seemed to suck late in the season in the freezing and windy Meadowlands, Philly, and Washington.

And Pittsburgh:wink:

I was at that game. 2 degrees. Romo fucking blew

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

completely agree. But the cold in denver isn't as bad as places like pittsburgh. Because it is so arid in Denver, with no moisture in the air a really cold day someone feels pretty decent. In pittsburgh and other lower elevations you want to burn yourself alive. It is like people who wear t-shirts while climbing around on parts of Mt. Everest in 0 degree weather at 20,000 feet, because it doesn't actually feel that cold.

Romo still throws mad touchdowns.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And Pittsburgh:wink:

I was at that game. 2 degrees. Romo fucking blew

indeed.

in november and december, away from home in cold windy weather he is utterly awful. the ball wobbles in the air, and he is a fumble and interception machine in those situations.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
completely agree. But the cold in denver isn't as bad as places like pittsburgh. Because it is so arid in Denver, with no moisture in the air a really cold day someone feels pretty decent. In pittsburgh and other lower elevations you want to burn yourself alive. It is like people who wear t-shirts while climbing around on parts of Mt. Everest in 0 degree weather at 20,000 feet, because it doesn't actually feel that cold.

Romo still throws mad touchdowns.

well, true, denver doesn't have that icy "bite" that places like CHicago or Cleveland have because of their proximity to the great lakes, but it still gets pretty fucking cold up there at altitude :biggrin1: and definitely, more importantly, windy which really holds up the ball from a weaker armed passer.

and yes he throws TD's, but only to TO seemingly, and not late in the season...i compiled these interesting stats

ROMO
2006-

December and January

W-L
2-4

TD - 9
INT - 13
Fumbles - Fumbles Lost
----9--------2

2007-

December and January

W-L
2-3

TD - 4
INT - 8
Fumbles - Fumbles Lost
---4--------0

December and January

W-L
1-3

TD - 5
INT - 6
Fumbles - Fumbles Lost
----6-------3

--

Total in December and January

W-L
5-10

TD -18
INT - 27
Fumbles - Fumbles Lost
---19------5

that really blows. :eek:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that really blows. :eek:

I haven't missed a Dallas game in years.

I see these all the time from Romo in tight games/4th qtr and there isn't a stat that can tell the story properly:

Turning the wrong way on a handoff
Just throwing the ball up for grabs with plenty of time left
Bobbling, mishandling the ball, dropping shotgun snap
throwing a timing pass to the wrong spot
Floating wounded ducks on a sideline route 10, 15 feet over a wide open receiver's head.

Fuck!

Like he turns into a teenager again.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't missed a Dallas game in years.

I see these all the time from Romo in tight games/4th qtr and there isn't a stat that can tell the story properly:

Turning the wrong way on a handoff
Just throwing the ball up for grabs with plenty of time left
Bobbling, mishandling the ball, dropping shotgun snap
throwing a timing pass to the wrong spot
Floating wounded ducks on a sideline route 10, 15 feet over a wide open receiver's head.

Fuck!

Like he turns into a teenager again.

yup...and he is going to be 29 in about a month...I have been a Cowboy fan since 1976...but frankly, I am so off pro football, and have been for about decade. I became so frustrated with the team after they fired Jimmy Johnson, the mismanagement, the stupid behavior of guys like Irvin and Erik Williams and Nate Newton and over the years, my interest began waning. They really blew it in never getting a WR opposite Irvin all those years...Harper simply was not good enough.

I much prefer the college game. I am glued to college ball at all times.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Troy Aikman is the man

he was a great QB...i always wondered what he could have done with a high octane passing attack.

he had unremarkable stats because Dallas during those years played a ball control, run with Emmitt, move the chains with Irvin and Novacek offense.

he had a great arm and was very smart, i wonder what he could have done in an offense designed like the old Rams (that Warner led)

he was one of the best "timing" route throwers aver...he threw the deep out to Irvin about as well or better than any i have ever seen. it was always perfect.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think he is a great commentator as well, makes the game that much more interesting when he is working it.

I agree completely.

i hate most commentators these days, but Troy is very good...low-key, lets the action speak for itself, but takes strong confident positions, and really brings in good insight.

I think Steve Young is alot like that too, but he is not a game commentator yet, though i think he could be very good at it.

both he and Aikman have a tremendous command of the game, and the insight necessary to run an offense, what the defenses are doing, etc.