Trade tools of the building industry.

I won't buy an Hitachi anymore. I bought the model Circular Saw which progressed from the ones I have had before.

Only a couple of hundred bucks. But with a serious design flaw which does not allow the armature bearing to cool down as in past design because it is fully encased. Under load it melted through the plastic housing, the grease from the bearing extruded through it like a worm.

I bought this saw because past experience with 2 others told me it was reliable. Not any more.

Yes, you get what you pay for, but with such a bad design flaw, it's not worth $200, but $2.

Piece of crap.

Any other guys out there who have had a gutful of so called "Trade Tools" which are shit?

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here's what my guys use on the site:

Craftsman
Dewalt
Makita
Milwaukee

I see more Dewalt than anything else, so I bought my own cordless impact drill and mini saw. These are for my own use because I don't work on the sites.

I have never seen a Hitachi tool in anyone's hands before.

Reactions: ronin001 and 185248

Here's what my guys use on the site:

Craftsman
Dewalt
Makita
Milwaukee

I see more Dewalt than anything else, so I bought my own cordless impact drill and mini saw. These are for my own use because I don't work on the sites.

I have never seen a Hitachi tool in anyone's hands before.

I have Makitas also, Hitachi are in direct competition with Makita, the Yamaha, Suzuki of the tool world. Most of their gear is quite good. I've found Metabo to be the most robust of the power tools....But even looking at some of their stuff now it's becoming more obvious the cutting of corners to compete with cheapies.

The problem is these days everything is made in Asia, well most, even Milwaukee, of which I have their impact drivers, drills ..they say to manufacturers specifications. De-Walt still make some of their stuff in the US...We once use to make power tools here as well, but when you live next door to billions strong workforce....

Then I have a cheap old Ozito 9" grinder and reciprocating saw I get them out for those tough grubby jobs where if you break it, it's no real loss. Bought them as a one offs thinking they would not last, because what they were asking for name brands was ridiculous, especially if they are made in the same place....but guess what, the way they seem to be going they might outlast me :)

As far as the Hitachi that died goes....it went into my old power tool graveyard space in the shed....have quite a few oldies their now....just can't seem to part with the old things after you use them for a long time. Even still have the first power tool that I bought, and old Black and Decker drill I bought when I was 14.

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone recently told me a lovely story about a Makita thing. I forget what the thing was, or what it is supposed to do, because I wasn't really listening. He's had it a very long time, and loves it very much was the gist of it I think.

Always do a lot of research before you buy something, and read a lot of product reviews first is the only helpful thing I can say. Now it's your responsibility to leave a detailed review of that product unfortunately.

Reactions: ronin001 and 185248

Someone recently told me a lovely story about a Makita thing. I forget what the thing was, or what it is supposed to do, because I wasn't really listening. He's had it a very long time, and loves it very much was the gist of it I think.

Always do a lot of research before you buy something, and read a lot of product reviews first is the only helpful thing I can say. Now it's your responsibility to leave a detailed review of that product unfortunately.

My personal product review was experience with it's predecessor...'s which gave me good service. There were no product reviews for this particular saw. But, after pulling the old saw apart, then this model which shagged itself to an early grave apart......boy, could I see the differences in design.

It's no big deal, it's just a saw, but when you depend on your tools, and a brand name. To put it simply, upon my own investigations of the innards... the diagnosis is....A cheap shit tool, dressed up to look like a trade quality device, and sold as trade quality. Which has become the norm these days.

Wrote a review yesterday on the site of the Trade Store I buy my gear from.

Yeah, with old tools, the ones not used anymore....you can pick them up and it sort of takes you on a bit of a trip of all the work over the years you do with your hands and mind.....I do it sometimes with my dads old hand tools (he was a chippie by trade)......some of them I played with making go-karts and stuff when I was a kid..

Reactions: 950483

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dewalt seems to be the favorite, but the Makita guys brag the loudest! LOL! Some of the old guys still have Craftsman saws that are probably 30 to 40 years old! And they look it!

The only Hitachi I've ever seen is in my bedroom, and I never use it for work!

Reactions: 950483

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One poor little guy showed up with a Chicago Tools circular saw. It looked big! Some of the other men were teasing him. All he could afford was Harbor Freight. One of the older guys let him use his tool. The newbie's saw didn't even last the whole job.

I knew when I saw it that he didn't know.

Reactions: twoton

Dewalt seems to be the favorite, but the Makita guys brag the loudest! LOL! Some of the old guys still have Craftsman saws that are probably 30 to 40 years old! And they look it!

The only Hitachi I've ever seen is in my bedroom, and I never use it for work!
Just imagine if it failed right before completion of it's job........Overall Hitachi make some pretty good stuff....from your bedroom buddy to these....
Hitachi-EX8000-6-Excavator.jpg

Bit big for bedroom use though........but they still make the Earth move.......bwaaahahahahahaha

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This is one of those moments I wish my man was more active on the site... he'd be going on for Days about this one..

One of his favorite YouTube channels: AvE. Dude does all kinds of tool stuffs... check 'em out, and Keep Your Dick In A Vice!
https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

(BTW, my guy is a Ridgid man... he can afford 'em, and they get the job done)

Reactions: 185248

This is one of those moments I wish my man was more active on the site... he'd be going on for Days about this one..

One of his favorite YouTube channels: AvE. Dude does all kinds of tool stuffs... check 'em out, and Keep Your Dick In A Vice!
https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

(BTW, my guy is a Ridgid man... he can afford 'em, and they get the job done)
Don't see much of the Rigid stuff on sites here. I know plumbers use, or once used many of their unpowered tools, have a few of the pipe cutters myself. It seems they're not made local anymore.

Anyway, ended up buying a Bosch from a different trade shop. Bosch dealer. Thought I would give them a go. After looking at exploded views of how machines are put together these days, size of motor etc...( I think this was the issue with the Hitachi, small motor under load pulling too many amps..overheat the armature... heat bearing = stuffed). Plus talked to a few other guys who happened to be instore as well tool shopping.

Anyway it came up, in this size saw anyway, as the winner.

So ends my Tool Story....well, until Little Boshies performance.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hitachi is cruel to their factory workers right here in USA. An ex of mine worked for them. Mandatory overtime meant he worked 12 hours a day, every day, for 72 days straight. Fatigue led to an accident that nearly severed his thumb. Their own doctor said he needed several weeks off to heal. After two days off, they told him to run his line, or lose his job. So, he ran his line, and quit as soon as he could. I won't buy anything they make as a result. No money for slave drivers.

Reactions: 185248 and ronin001

Delta? Gonna look Delta up before dawn.

Ok, never heard of those, but looked them up thanks to google. What do you create with those hal?

Could not resist it....futile.

Also for some reason, country folk thank the good lord. Maybe it's a spiritual connection to the land which city folk have lost contact with...who knows....anywhoo. I think Helen Reddy's version was great too.

Hitachi is cruel to their factory workers right here in USA. An ex of mine worked for them. Mandatory overtime meant he worked 12 hours a day, every day, for 72 days straight. Fatigue led to an accident that nearly severed his thumb. Their own doctor said he needed several weeks off to heal. After two days off, they told him to run his line, or lose his job. So, he ran his line, and quit as soon as he could. I won't buy anything they make as a result. No money for slave drivers.
Did he work in heavy machinery? I'm a bit stunned that they treated him in this fashion. Seems a bit third world in a nation which is supposed to protect it's workers.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did he work in heavy machinery? I'm a bit stunned that they treated him in this fashion. Seems a bit third world in a nation which is supposed to protect it's workers.
He ran various types of lathes, primarily CNC, if I recall correctly. Actually, 72 days wasn't even the longest stretch he ever had without a day off. He'd gone over three months a few times. Apparently, it's perfectly legal as long as there are breaks every six hours, and half an hour for lunch, and no workday exceeds 12 hours. There are also temperature restrictions imposed by OSHA that mandate extra breaks when it is too hot. I'm told only Japanese companies pull that kind of thing here, but I'm not convinced.

Shepardson

Superior Member
Media
Anyway, ended up buying a Bosch from a different trade shop.
That seems to be a very respected high end tool in the router community these days, but I'm too cheap for stuff like that unless it's bought used. My two main routers are similar era Porter Cable and Rockwell from back when everything was polished aluminum. I've recently restored and replaced all the bearings in them, but the bodies are getting a bit too "chewed up". If I'd been the original owner, they'd probably still be in mint condition, but they were bought used from a really grouchy old man who was parting out a large cabinet shop. They'd probably been through hell by the time I got them (25+ years ago!).

I have a few that ended up like your Ozito. I still use the Craftsman scroll saw I bought as a kid, and a Skil drill and circular saw bought not much later. A plastic B&D router I bought used for $15 and made into a "D-handle" ended up seeing more use than my good router. I bought it as a cheap laminate trimmer (back when those were expensive), but it was so small and maneuverable, I started using it for all light to mid-duty routing. It's amazing how many hours of use some of that cheap shit can endure when it's kept in one place and not left in the back of pickup trucks in the rain or dragged by its cord across jobsite dirt. The impression I've gotten from people who use power tools professionally (maybe not cabinet makers) is that they sort of expect to be able to abuse the stuff, which is understandable, but sometimes have little respect for it (less so when the boss does all the purchasing).

Regarding the brands, I can't even keep up with what's cheaply made now and what's not. Seems like all the main players keep buying each other, and two or three of the big ones own all the others. Seeking out NLA parts for a small 30 year old Craftsman belt/disc sander recently, I was surprised to see what was basically the same damn machine offered by companies from Delta all the way down to sub-Harbor Freight brands that I'd never heard of. Not just stuff that looked like it, but part-compatible models clearly coming from the same people with minor cosmetic differences. Replacement parts ended up coming from Grizzly.

Take Care (and sorry for all the text)

That seems to be a very respected high end tool in the router community these days, but I'm too cheap for stuff like that unless it's bought used. My two main routers are similar era Porter Cable and Rockwell from back when everything was polished aluminum. I've recently restored and replaced all the bearings in them, but the bodies are getting a bit too "chewed up". If I'd been the original owner, they'd probably still be in mint condition, but they were bought used from a really grouchy old man who was parting out a large cabinet shop. They'd probably been through hell by the time I got them (25+ years ago!).

I have a few that ended up like your Ozito. I still use the Craftsman scroll saw I bought as a kid, and a Skil drill and circular saw bought not much later. A plastic B&D router I bought used for $15 and made into a "D-handle" ended up seeing more use than my good router. I bought it as a cheap laminate trimmer (back when those were expensive), but it was so small and maneuverable, I started using it for all light to mid-duty routing. It's amazing how many hours of use some of that cheap shit can endure when it's kept in one place and not left in the back of pickup trucks in the rain or dragged by its cord across jobsite dirt. The impression I've gotten from people who use power tools professionally (maybe not cabinet makers) is that they sort of expect to be able to abuse the stuff, which is understandable, but sometimes have little respect for it (less so when the boss does all the purchasing).

Regarding the brands, I can't even keep up with what's cheaply made now and what's not. Seems like all the main players keep buying each other, and two or three of the big ones own all the others. Seeking out NLA parts for a small 30 year old Craftsman belt/disc sander recently, I was surprised to see what was basically the same damn machine offered by companies from Delta all the way down to sub-Harbor Freight brands that I'd never heard of. Not just stuff that looked like it, but part-compatible models clearly coming from the same people with minor cosmetic differences. Replacement parts ended up coming from Grizzly.

Take Care (and sorry for all the text)

Don't apologize, I quite enjoyed reading your post. It's right about your impression of how tools are treated on the job. I'm more careful than most, but not all times are jobs on lovely concrete floors. It can be in trenches, cutting through brickwork, blockwork, concrete etc...every now and then the tool you use may not be big enough for the job, but it is still expected to perform. If it performs, it cuts the grade as a a tool worth having.

Of all the tools I have had in my time the best was a Metabo rotary hammer drill with chisel function. What a great little piece of machinery and toughness. What I put it through, it was a sad day when it finally told me it had had enough.

You are right about companies owning each other these days, it's here as well, engineering, bolt, screw and nail manufacturers are the same. The companies have been bought by other companies, and all the brand name is, is a front for importing the goods. The steel they are made from is crap, it's soft and weak. There are screws and boxes of 3" nails left in the shed here from years back....totally superior quality to what is available now. I'd forgotten what a quality nail was. The same as many power tools now, made from material and put together to throw away. Even the humble lead builders pencil has suffered in the quality department. You sharpen it, it breaks, you sharpen it, it breaks.

I have some of my dads old power tools out back, still work, but they are widow makers, solid aluminium casings and weigh a ton. The drill has no clutch...so if it grabs, you either let go, or it will twist your arm off. Or flip you on your back :).

Reactions: Shepardson

Shepardson

Superior Member
Media
not all times are jobs on lovely concrete floors. It can be in trenches, cutting through brickwork, blockwork, concrete etc.
You should be thankful that you know about structural stuff like that. For as long as I've been working with wood, I don't know squat about things which will be exposed to the elements, and anything I've done in that area hasn't held up as well as I'd have liked it to. Not carrying my tools around to weird environments is one of the only benefits of lacking those sort of skills. Over the years, they'd have come in handy more times than I can count.
The drill has no clutch...so if it grabs, you either let go, or it will twist your arm off. Or flip you on your back :).
The larger (Rockwell) of my two vintage routers is the same way. It has spent its days mounted under a table, which is what I bought it for, but the thing actually had handles on it when I got it. I still can't for the life of me figure what mortal man actually held onto that thing while he used it. It would yank your arms around in a spiral, and it's way too old for any of the "soft start" technology, so it's not likely that it was any better about that when it was new. Horsepower ratings back then were for real (probably more of a "continuous power" rating). IIRC, it's only 2.5-3hp or thereabouts. If it came out now it would probably say 6. :D

Take Care

PS- (regarding that long living plastic B&D thing I've got) I will add that my nicer stuff seems to be much better about restoration and maintenance. For all the years of service that thing gave me, tearing it apart recently to try to rejuvenate it is ironically what did it the most harm. Seems like with that cheap stuff, every time you have to open it to do anything, you get that much closer to the point where it might start falling apart.

sudcalifornio

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He ran various types of lathes, primarily CNC, if I recall correctly. Actually, 72 days wasn't even the longest stretch he ever had without a day off. He'd gone over three months a few times. Apparently, it's perfectly legal as long as there are breaks every six hours, and half an hour for lunch, and no workday exceeds 12 hours. There are also temperature restrictions imposed by OSHA that mandate extra breaks when it is too hot. I'm told only Japanese companies pull that kind of thing here, but I'm not convinced.
is it a right to work state?