Traditional Dating Versus Online Dating

sweetmissy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What's the difference between initial eye contact across a crowded room and an email via a busy dating website? Perhaps less than you think. The bottom line: you can be as wrong - or right - about someone you slap eyes on in a bar as you can online. And your instincts will still be the only guiding force when it comes to weeding out the lovers from the losers. Fate certainly ensures that we kiss a few frogs before coming up trumps with a Prince - however we meet him. Some people agree and others disagree. What's your thoughts?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I don't think there is much of a difference at all. I guess if a person chooses to be dishonest online they can be a whole lot more dishonest in certain ways than they can be in person.

But you get both dishonesty and honesty in both types of dating and there is a lot more understanding, I believe, from a potential partner you're talking to online about requests for proof of certain things.

I met my guy here and while neither of us were looking for a relationship we clearly had the potential to be great friends and a lot more, if the online sexual tension translated in person. We had a chance to meet and we were even better in person than we were in the virtual world. Now to get past the inconvenient bit and make it so we live on the same continent! :rolleyes:

voyeuristic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I pretty much only date people I've met online, almost as a rule...sad but true. I'm not flirtatious at all and the direct approach works a lot better in this medium, since I can enter specifically sexualized virtual spaces before hitting on people instead of assuming that someone in the grocery store (at a party, etc.) is okay with being macked on. I don't like to make that kind of presumption because I don't like when people make it about me. I'm also a serious niche market so I can put myself out there to my target audience on the internet, whereas in the rest of the world I'm going to come across my type/people whose type I am far more seldomly.

B_mylipswet

Experimental Member
Media
In your mind until you meet me eye to eye if you d
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never expected a relationship and was not looking but, I met someone online whom I may have never noticed nor considered in person. I never had the need for online dating sites as I have more then my share of requests in person. I believe alot more of the soul is revealed online. Your pretty much able to get across what you will and will not accept in a relationship so you actually do weed out, your own preferences. When you don't meet for straight sex it tends to last longer and grows stronger then a mere physical attraction alone.

D_Selmus_Swallow

Account Disabled
Media
I pretty much only date people I've met online, almost as a rule...sad but true. I'm not flirtatious at all and the direct approach works a lot better in this medium, since I can enter specifically sexualized virtual spaces before hitting on people instead of assuming that someone in the grocery store (at a party, etc.) is okay with being macked on. I don't like to make that kind of presumption because I don't like when people make it about me. I'm also a serious niche market so I can put myself out there to my target audience on the internet, whereas in the rest of the world I'm going to come across my type/people whose type I am far more seldomly.

Pretty much the same here.

If you're in an unusual niche the typical bar scene is not really the place for you. I know that the hard way.

Amber1

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

I like talking to people here and posting here...BUT I'm very apprehensive

about the whole online dating thing at the moment, meeting up with people etc,etc...

and with good reason!!!

As far as people lying is concearned, I think it definately gives people more

scope to fill your head with all sorts of bullshit!!!!

D_Mylor Mentallydaft

Account Disabled
Media
well, if you're like me, and have the christian slater -pump up the volume- issue of being able to relate to a person privatly but not being good ina group or right off the bat it works, plus its easy to get all the b.s out of the way, quicker to, "hey i'm a chic who wants a big dick" "hey i am a man with a big dick who wants to give it" "ok lets meet here".... its quicker

Pinkpnay77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
:smile:I met my significant other online through a "dating" aka hooking up site, lol, we're celebrating our 2 year this Summer. I must say I couldn't have found someone that makes me feel so wonderful. Too bad his cock doesn't reach across the Atlantic Ocean though, its a long distance relationship. Sad face, talk about express ticket to frown town, population me.:frown1:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have never dated anyone I met online.

However, we do find threesome partners on Craigslist -- but that's not DATING, ya know?

(I don't troll LPSG for partners or hookups because I consider it my social playground/hangout. Would hate to lose that.)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With cam'ing more prevalent who'd date/meet someone irl they hadn't cam'ed?
(NJQT466 raises hand shyly) Uhmm, me.

I met my current beau in chat on this site. We'd seen each others gallerys and then we PM'd for a day or two before exchanging phone numbers. Maybe a week later we met in person and we've been seeing each other ever since. :heart:

Perhaps since neither one of us is prone to lying it never ocurred to us to ask the other to confirm who they were via cam. :dunno:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
(NJQT466 raises hand shyly) Uhmm, me.

I met my current beau in chat on this site. We'd seen each others gallerys and then we PM'd for a day or two before exchanging phone numbers. Maybe a week later we met in person and we've been seeing each other ever since. :heart:

Perhaps since neither one of us is prone to lying it never ocurred to us to ask the other to confirm who they were via cam. :dunno:

I think cam'ing is perfect and especially for women. You can meet someone in a live situation and if you pull the plug it's pulled. None of that club/bar, "I said no thank you," bullshit.

I'd screen their thoughts first before asking to cam though. You can really get a lot from what people post. Especially over a long time, they have a history you can check they can't erase. Of course you allow for past mistakes. We've all got them.

No, picking who you want to date is better today because you can be more selective and choose from across the world. I'm glad you hooked up successfully. Good for you.

lowteg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dated one chic I met online not for long like 2 months and a bit, its a bit weird meeting her parents and saying where you met and then the dads like I hope not on one of those bloody internet sites ha ha the dad was crazy like Bruce Willace look alike and acted exactly like him too..Just said via friends...

Yeah online dating is ok I guess but I reckon meeting a chic out at a place is better for some reason, the worst thing is people can fake pics online...

acuradude

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Troutdale, Oregon, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had a female message me on my yahoo about 3-4 months ago, said she found my messenger name on a dating site I never went on, and we hit it off and I'm going to see her for the first time in a few months. We cam all the time and she even plans on moving to me when she graduates collage. The best and most thing I love about her is she likes me for who I am and doesn't care about my looks. but she dose love my cock. lol!

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Either way there is a good chance of being destroyed emotionally. But after briefly having an online "thing" a while back i would never do it again. Its just to easy for someone to sit there typing how great, sensitive, loving and loyal and it all be bullshit. At least meeting someone in person you can see their expressions and mannerisms to get a much, much better idea of how honest they are being with you.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have never dated anyone I met online.

However, we do find threesome partners on Craigslist -- but that's not DATING, ya know?

(I don't troll LPSG for partners or hookups because I consider it my social playground/hangout. Would hate to lose that.)

I'm not on Craigslist but I was could I be your threesome partner? :redface:

I've only ever met long term girlfriends IRL but sadly it doesn't happen very often. I'm quite shy and to be honest I don't often see many girls that I find attractive. I mean I see "hot" girls but it doesn't appeal to me if they're dressed like prostitutes or as intelligent as month old toejam.

And since I've decided to stop drinking (I want to exercise my mind instead of my liver) I doubt there'll be much opportunity for finding girls.

I wouldn't find girls online again cos generally they have something wrong with them or become too attached.

melis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What's the difference between initial eye contact across a crowded room and an email via a busy dating website? Perhaps less than you think. The bottom line: you can be as wrong - or right - about someone you slap eyes on in a bar as you can online.
Oh, there is a difference... still, you are so right that the people's capability - or urge, even - to hurt you is not determined by whether you meet them online or offline. It's the weeding out that is tricky. You guys don't go on Craigslist expecting to find a soulmate, do you? Not everyone can trusted, sometimes we trust people too soon – that’s life…

Internet wooing involves each other's ego and less facial and verbal contact more than traditional dating. You can lie with ease.
You are right, online dating is more about the mind than the physical meeting. Initially, at least. If you're looking for a potential life partner, though, I think you have a good opportunity of exploring someone’s intentions by talking online before you meet. At least for me, I engage in deeper conversations sooner online than I would face-to-face. I'm always clear on what I'm looking for, though. For instance, I’d be extremely hesitant to look for love here on LPSG (sure, I’m here, there has to be other sane people here as well – heck, I’ve even had nice “un-cock-ly” conversations with a few). My point is that if you want to date someone with good intentions you should try a paying site with a good matching system (a few have quality personality matching, something I’ve only had good experiences with – that way, the liars hook up with other liars, right…?)

I don't think there is much of a difference at all. I guess if a person chooses to be dishonest online they can be a whole lot more dishonest in certain ways than they can be in person. But you get both dishonesty and honesty in both types of dating and there is a lot more understanding, I believe, from a potential partner you're talking to online about requests for proof of certain things.
I guess you just have to be trusting enough to open up to the possibility of a great relationship – and still keep a healthy degree of scepticism…

It's all in where you look and what you're looking for. If you get that sneaking feeling that something is wrong, you trust it! That' my best advice, and it's true for both online and offline dating. Heck, I'm throwing around life-skill lessons here - you should always trust your gut, not just when it comes to dating!

I've had better luck meeting men online than in the real world. That is, I meet men offline as well... it's just that since I'm shy, I'd never approach a guy offline - that would be simply torture... - and the guys that approach me say in a bar scene will often times turn out to be too outgoing for my own personality. I guess I’m a niche market as well…

I had a female message me on my yahoo about 3-4 months ago, said she found my messenger name on a dating site I never went on, and we hit it off and I'm going to see her for the first time in a few months. We cam all the time and she even plans on moving to me when she graduates collage. The best and most thing I love about her is she likes me for who I am and doesn't care about my looks. but she dose love my cock. lol!
Hmm… You should be careful. Sometimes we it the jackpot, though...

Either way there is a good chance of being destroyed emotionally.
What can I say, other than I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, Lee. Life's a bitch sometimes. Unfortunately, the bad experiences we have tend to scare us from feeling again. You have to dare to put yourself out there. I know, I know - I sound like a girl from one of them Bachelor shows right now. It is true, though, that you have to dare to feel love in order to be loved. And you might not even be loved in return. See - now you got me all depressed... or maybe I did that all by myself...? There's hope, isn't there? :rolleyes:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Seems to me that online dating makes a lot of sense given how we connect to people in our daily lives. Traditional dating certainly isn't passe and bar hookups and meet-and-greets aren't going anywhere. To me, it sounds like people who prefer privacy or have their share of discomfort about meeting up or seem a little less outgoing prefer online matching. You can screen without pressure, feel out details, chat in different ways before agreeing to a meeting.

I date rather casually, and I have to be honest; it's easy to meet people here in Tucson, but it's hard to really connect. I think people here are outgoing to a degree. On my university budget, I'm rather stuck to a limited pool of social opportunities, many of which revolve around the bar scene. A friend of mine suggested something like volunteer work or church attendance to meet and greet new people, and I'm pursuing those avenues too now that I'm trying to get a schedule going for this semester. Until then, you know, I can browse personals or hunt down special interest forums to see who's out there and who's in my area.

Okay, so I'm fraternizing with big dicks here and role-playing gamers on another site -- ha ha. I'll get around, I promise.

But yeah, just maintain the same level of common sense online as you would in person and take whatever precautions make sense at the time. I think people can as easily lie to your face in person, too; you just have the benefit of looking at them while they do it.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i believe that the majority of people can fish out the good catches from the losers--online and offline. regardless of how a person dates, traditionally or online, we're all going to meet a few wrong people before we meet the person who is right. dating someone traditionally can be just as great as dating someone you met online. and it could be the other way around like manly banisters said: "you get both dishonesty and honesty in both types of dating." however, that doesn't mean we have to give up on the different ways of meeting people. do what works for you, and be open to all the possibilities.