Traffic ranking

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: I clicked to read more on the Alexa ranking to try to figure out what the 54,000 represented but can't quite figure it out.

It seems that out of all the web sites in all the world, lpsg is ranked at almost 55,000, i.e., there are 54,900 + that are accessed more frequently than lpsg.

Am I reading that right?

2. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: Nony, that's the way I understand it. While this site does get a lot of traffic, it's not like Amazon or Ebay or other commerical sites that get hundreds of thousands of hits a day, so that ranking of almost 55,000th is probably correct.

3. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    You also have to think about the popular entertainment sites with rabid followers.

Music sites like MTV.com

Comedy sites like TheOnion.com

Even webcomics like Sluggy.Com

Many webcomics have thousands of readers who come for daily content.

4. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    You've all got it right. Alexa considers any site within the top 100,000 to be a success, and sites within the top 50,000 to be VERY successful. I'd say we're doing very well. :)

The rankings change every week or two, so keep an eye on it and let's hope that we can break the top 50,000 on the internet!

5. Imported

Gold Member

rainfletcher: I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me wants to keep LPSG pristine...as it is, for the most part, devoid of assholes. That would, of course, drive DOWN traffic.

However, I have benifitted enormously from this board and it's members. I can't in good faith deny others the same opportunity, right?

There should be a way to check members for obnoxiousness before they're granted a username / password. Is there, Mark? I'd personally pay for the license if there's such a thing...

Ah well....

6. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: Aw Rain, I'd say the assholes keep us on our toes.

Um, and...some of our best members can BE assholes sometimes....we'd be missing out :D

7. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: Anybody who comes here and starts causing trouble usually drops out of sight quickly; i.e. Picky/Panthera, the pirate dude, etc. Just a little flash in the pan, and they're gone. While annoying, they sometimes add a little fun to our little ol' group.

8. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: And who can forget the invasion of the pirates? Argh!

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I wonder if we were charter victims of the pirates or whether they were cruising the web in order of ranking?

I've a feeling they didn't get to be the ages they showed in their profiles just sitting on their poop decks.

Pecker

(Arrrrr! Anybody seen me parrot? Here, Polly! Come to yer captain, you scurvy, feather-brained, foul-mouthed piece o' bird meat.)

10. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: Uh oh......the pirates have abducted Nony and Pecker and brainwashed them! ;D

11. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the jerks too much - they never last long.

I think the LPSG is providing a great service for a lot of people - that's why I'm always happy to have lots of traffic. :)

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks for the trust, Mark. Can you imagine how stifled we'd be if you stood over each topic with a bazooka, ready to blow off-topic posters off the board?

The very conversationalist (is that a new word!?) form of the board is part of its personality.

Pecker

(If you aren't confused, you aren't paying attention.)

13. Imported

Gold Member

rainfletcher: I agree with all. My comments were very much tongue-in-cheek. This board has a very unique 'personality' as Pecker put it, and I woudln't change a thing about it. While there have been a few times in the past month or so that I wish Mark would have shot with a bazooka (at least), I know this place wouldn't be what it is if that were the case. I also think the members do a pretty damn good job of policing this place on their own...:)

So - happy posting to any and all! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted