Tragedy in Brazil, or What Happens When...

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
...money, politics, and bureaucracy gets in the way of common sense.

Scores of bodies pulled from Brazil plane wreck - Yahoo! News

From the article:

"Reopening a runway that was not ready is tantamount to murder," Onyx Lorenzoni, a congressman from a leading opposition party, told Reuters. "They should go to prison."

Damn skippy.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I saw this on the news, it's horrible.
My heart goes out to the families of the victims. :frown1:

And what are their friends, chopped liver? A lot of people are a lot closer to certain non-relatives than to anyone to whom they happen to share more genes. I'm sure they appreciate you disrespecting them.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And what are their friends, chopped liver? A lot of people are a lot closer to certain non-relatives than to anyone to whom they happen to share more genes. I'm sure they appreciate you disrespecting them.

Time for your meds again.

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media

damn thats a little harsh dont u think? dont criticize someone who is expressing their condolences- very uncool.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...money, politics, and bureaucracy gets in the way of common sense.
"Common sense" doesn't come into it. Most people don't know squat about landing airplanes, so their common sense - an understanding which is shared by a large group of people - can't possibly be of any real interest.

Political "common sense" in Brazil is probably much like political common sense here in the US - no matter what happens, blame it on the other party. That, unfortunately, does little to enhance airline safety.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
"Common sense" doesn't come into it. Most people don't know squat about landing airplanes, so their common sense - an understanding which is common to a large group of people - can't possibly be of any real interest.

Dear God man, can you not let one comment pass without getting into the semantics of the thing! Can't you take any comment in the way it is clearly meant - Are you genuinely that offended by language misuse, however minor or are you just running around desparately looking for ways in which to prove your 'massive intellect'.

OT - I know, sorry - but seriously!

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
damn thats a little harsh dont u think? dont criticize someone who is expressing their condolences- very uncool.

Very uncool is thinking that only people to whom you're related are worthy of our sympathies. Maybe she didn't think that but she implied it. Also very uncool is trying to tell me not to speak my mind when I feel someone has been disrespectful.

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media
Very uncool is thinking that only people to whom you're related are worthy of our sympathies. Maybe she didn't think that but she implied it. Also very uncool is trying to tell me not to speak my mind when I feel someone has been disrespectful.

never said not to speak your mind dude. and i spoke mine. done.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Dear God man, can you not let one comment pass without getting into the semantics of the thing! Can't you take any comment in the way it is clearly meant - Are you genuinely that offended by language misuse, however minor or are you just running around desparately looking for ways in which to prove your 'massive intellect'.

No, I'm not some sort of an intellectual snob. This is always just been a huge pet peeve of mine. I think a lot of people sincerely think that families are inherently worth more sympathy than friends, and that bugs the shit out of me. You don't get to choose your family.

MUCH BETTER would have been to say "loved ones," which may or may not include family.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well of course I meant their friends too you brainless twit! :mad:

If you weren't such an ignorant newbie and had bothered to view any of my past posts you would know that I am rarely that insensitive or mean to anyone. :mad: The exception is of course jackass trolls like yourself. :smile:

njqt466

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I'm not some sort of an intellectual snob. This is always just been a huge pet peeve of mine. I think a lot of people sincerely think that families are inherently worth more sympathy than friends, and that bugs the shit out of me. You don't get to choose your family.

MUCH BETTER would have been to say "loved ones," which may or may not include family.

FFS she was talking about BD!

And you seem very highly strung Wingnut...'Try A Little Tenderness'
I like the version by The Commitments.

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media

you could have added that to what she said in a much nicer and respectful way- without suggesting she was being disrespectful. that is your interpretation based on your experience or peeve or whatever.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
"Common sense" doesn't come into it. Most people don't know squat about landing airplanes, so their common sense - an understanding which is shared by a large group of people - can't possibly be of any real interest.

Political "common sense" in Brazil is probably much like political common sense here in the US - no matter what happens, blame it on the other party. That, unfortunately, does little to enhance airline safety.

Well I disagree. I would think common sense (the sense that one would assume most people have based on a "common" base of knowledge) would have come into play, whether one knew squat about landing a plane or not.

Common sense might have told someone that it'd be better to be safe than sorry when questions arose about the safety of the runway.

Common sense might have told airport officials or traffic controllers that a) they've had two planes skid off this runway on Monday, and another near tragedy in March, b) they've just resurfaced the runway but haven't had time to cut drainage grooves in it, and c) it's fuckin' raining.

SO, put the plane on another runway (assuming the airport had more than one runway) and close up the one that's not ready yet.

But maybe that's just my way of thinkin.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well of course I meant their friends too you brainless twit! :mad:

If you weren't such an ignorant newbie and had bothered to view any of my past posts you would know that I am rarely that insensitive or mean to anyone. :mad: The exception is of course jackass trolls like yourself. :smile: njqt466

Hey, I apologize for misreading you, but I was just going off of what you wrote; don't blame me. I don't recall flaming you, so I wonder why you're flaming me? I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to lighten up...:rolleyes:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw this on the news, it's horrible.
My heart goes out to the families of the victims. :frown1:
Dig it, I concur with that there, NJQT.

I'm reasonably certain that omitting friends was not intentionable there, wingnut. So try to think before you post something like that, huh?

Of course he can't there, MB! He's just looking for ways to instigate & annoy.

Fine, but next time, try & word it better, so you don't come off as accusatory & make people feel like they're obtuse.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Given that comment wasn't written to you, your reply implies one or both of two things:
  1. You're reading impaired
  2. You are an intellectual snob, presumably assuming the 'massive intellect' barb was aimed at you.:rolleyes:
To BD. True, 'most' people "don't know squat"* about landing aircraft, but many have driven and/or braked hard on a road with standing water, the same basic principle applies.

Landing a aircraft on an ungrooved, runway in a rainstorm demands close attention. Having done so once or twice in a mere four seater I can vouch for that.

The circumstances are unclear but allowing mere financial concerns to permit the landing of a loaded commercial jet on a short, soaked runway (if indeed that is what happened), is negligent and callous, if not outright criminal.

Common sense doesn't enter into it.

* P.S. careful with those double negatives.....:rolleyes:

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Given that comment wasn't written to you, your reply implies one or both of two things:
  1. You're reading impaired
  2. You are an intellectual snob, presumably assuming the 'massive intellect' barb was aimed at you.:rolleyes:

If someone had posted "Let's lynch some niggers" and I had roasted them for that in spite of my NOT BEING BLACK, I doubt you'd be writing the same thing (assuming you're not a racist).

It's the same thing here. I don't think I knew anyone involved in that crash (although I might have, having spent so much time in Rio Grande do Sul), but that doesn't mean I can't comment on what I view as insensitive comments about it. Now, njqt didn't mean it like that and I apologized, so chill out.

curious25

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I request moments of silence for the friends, families, loved ones, acquaintances, co-workers, and all others who knew the victims. I have several friends visiting Brasil as well as some who live there, and thankfully they were not on the crash. I'm sure several others on LPSG have acquaintances/family etc. there as well.

Now, can we put an end to all this ridiculous bickering? It started over a simple misinterpretation and did not need to escalate so far. In the event of a tragedy, this kind of backbiting does nothing. Just my 2 cents.

-c25