Train Trip

Inwood: Just wondering if anyone has taken an over night train on Amtrak? In a few weeks I'm taking the Crescent down to my parents and wanted to see if anyone had some helpful hints for the trip.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It wasn't Amtrak back then but I vaguely remember a train trip from Dallas to Upstate New York when I was 4 or 5.

Yes, they did have diesel-electric locomotives in those days.

My memories are of the dining car mostly. All that white linen and real silverware and heavy crystal goblets.

Nowadays you'll probably be tossed a box lunch on foam plates with plastic spoons. :D

SpeedoGuy: I've taken the overnight Amtrak "Coast Starlight" from Seattle to San Francisco several times. I haven't done it in about 8 years but I enjoyed the train trips for several reasons:

1. I generally found passengers to be in a more relaxed and jolly mood during the trip (as opposed to the stress everyone seems to be under during airline flights). I had some pleasant chats on each trip.

2. The seats on the Coast Starlight were wide, spacious and comfortable. With earplugs and eyeshades, I dozed quite comfortably in those seats during the night hours.

3. I remember that Amtrak let passengers bring along a small (hand held type) cooler with drinks or a sandwich in it. This policy may or may not still be true.

4. Passing over the Cascade and Siskiyou mountains as well as by Mount Shasta was quite beautiful.

If I wasn't in such a rush all the time I'd take the train more often because I enjoy the slower pace and scenery. Amtrak is kinda slow, though, and prone to delays and malfunctions. So don't go on the train if time is of the essence.

That's my two cents worth.

SG

Inwood: Thanks for the info. When I get back I'll post about my trip.

Pecker, no, thank god, no styrofoam. They still have dining cars with chefs who cook your food fresh. It might not be five star but apparently fairly decent.

I'm taking a standard bedroom so I can sleep (at least I hope I sleep) but like I said, I'll tell ya'll all about it when I get back.

swimguy_14: i took one from minn to glenwood springs co. was pretty cool, though does get kinda boring in the plain states, bring books

Inwood: I'm back.

The trip on the Crescent was great. No stress. Had a standard bedroom. Nice, clean quiet...nobody bothers you. The only thing that would have made it better is having a boyfriend along to make out with behind the closed curtains. What a way to pass the time.

My only problem was sleeping. I'm a light sleeper so it was very difficult for me to fall asleep. At most I got only about two to three hours over the evening. On the way back my dad gave me some earplugs so I probably got at least four hours. It cut the sound but for some reason the trip back was rougher then the trip down.

They feed you well. But the food is definitely equivalent to a diner. But at least the scenery changes and you generally have someone interesting to talk to each time since you share tables.

Met a jazz singer, a punk band bus driver, two business men, a mother, and a few others. The staff was friendly. I would recommend a trip if you have the time even if you flew one way and took the train the other.

Duo187: I've taken the Amtrak from Georgia to DC. I can say a few things, get a sleeper...if you can't bring a pillow, some headphones (or ear plugs I got stuck next to some really loud guy, wouldnt shut up about his music) and something to pass the time. Spend as much time in the club car as possible, and bring anything expensive in there with you.