Transexuals and miss universe beauty pageant

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been involved in both the Miss America and Miss USA Pageant systems. Even thought I worked full time, I also designed and sewed women's evening wear. I've had several of my creations worn on the Miss America stage and at many local and State pageants. There's a lot of $$$ in these pageant dresses. It was how I supplemented my income.

I've been a judge at local pageants in the Miss America system. The young women who participate are goal oriented and educated. They are NOT usually who we read about in the news. And that's unfortunate because so many of these women are indeed some of the brightest and best this Nation has to offer.

Getting involved was an eye opener. And I quickly discovered that my initial opinion of pageants was flawed. And wrong. While Miss America began as a bathing beauty competition to prolong the tourist season in Atlantic City, New Jersey after the Labor Day weekend, it has morphed over the years into a scholarship/service-based pageant (each contestant has a platform that she promotes). There is a talent category. And yes, some talents are better than others! It's subjective. But, then again, so is beauty.

Miss USA began as a result of a dispute between the Miss America pageant and Catalina Swimsuit, one of their main sponsors at the time. One of the newly-crowned winners in the 1950's refused to pose for pictures in a swimsuit after she won. So, Catalina started the Miss USA pageant; it is more focused on the physicality of the contestants, and last I heard, each contestant pays an entry fee.

Both pageant systems have a rigorous interview process/portion that TV viewers don't see. This is where the contenders are judged on their ability to represent the title. How you speak. Poise. Grace. That intangible "IT" factor, if you will.

The young women who participate, for the most part, are there because of the scholarship money or the potential exposure for modeling, etc. The one constant feedback I've gotten from them was how, win or lose, their involvement helped shape them for their future. Most of the young women I know who participated came out of the experience a better person. More polished. More secure. And ready to face the world, if you will.

That doesn't mean that pageants are perfect. But it is important to remember that a young woman's involvement in them is voluntary. And that they can be quite the springboard for them, whether they win or lose. They learn valuable interview skills and translate to the real world of job hunting.

Pageants IMO are not much different than say figure skating competitions. You are judged subjectively. You could have two different panels of judges and have two different outcomes (winners and runners-up/silver & bronze medalists). I think a lot of the criticism directed at pageants is based on ignorance. Once I got involved, I quickly understood how they can be of value. To many young women. And IMO, that's never a bad thing!

I am constantly amazed at the array of members here at LPSG. Mister B, you are one of those elite fashion designers for whom the expression "who" are you wearing applies. As an instinctual Cro-Magnon I've always wanted to ask wadda-you mean who are they wearing? Are they carrying someone around their neck?

Ever since I was in elementary school I've heard about a friend of my aunt's who was a runner-up for Miss America way back in the mid-seventies. Over the years the story has been modified and enhanced but the constant theme is that Susan was robbed of the title by Miss New York. As you've mentioned, Miss America was always a talent-based pageant while Miss U.S.A. has historically been more focused on feminine qualities that more appeal to my demographic of voyeuristic, testosterone-driven straights: "Hey Mikie, grab a beer and getta load of the dynamic ta-tas on that one!" For better or worse that formula has driven the Neilson ratings for Miss U.S.A. these many years.

My aunt's friend Susan was a very talented soprano, enough that her vocal abilities drew the attention of both Curtis and Julliard schools of music. However being a homebody, she went to a university near her home in Ohio while entering the Miss Ohio-America pageants for scholarship money to further her scholastic and vocal training. As an aside, from what I've heard Susan was also as attractive as she was vocally-gifted, and in those halcyon days of yesteryear that combination was sufficient for her to win a slew of beauty pageants leading-up to the granddaddy of them all in Atlantic City. Bert Parks was the master of ceremonies.

For the talent portion of the contest Susan belted-out an operatic top-ten tune-- o mio babbino caro-- and brought the house down; a Renata Tebaldi or Maria Callas would have been proud. By contrast other contestants were performing ballet on roller skates to Swan Lake. Through the mine field of other categories Susan more than held her own; for her extemporaneous question she gamely attempted to find a solution to the world's geo-political problems that have vexed the total membership of the United Nations since its inception. Finally they whittled the number of women down to the precious few finalists. Susan lost-out to a tall brunette named Tawny. While Bert Parks crooned-out "there she is..." and Tawny manufactured crocodile tears on her triumphant stroll down the catwalk, Susan was forced to stand on-stage and smile, no-doubt internally scathing that bitch!!!

Here is the swimsuit competition from Miss U.S.A. 1995 with my favorite Fox News anchor and ex-Miss Florida, Shannon Bream. As the emcee says it's all about poise, grace and fitness...and the contestants will be wearing Payless shoes! Shannon enters at 3:44.

Reactions: MisterB

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Right now the Miss America pageant is in flux. New leadership. Gretchen Carlson is now in charge. She tried this year to revamp the National competition. Dropped the swimsuit category. More focus on the interview aspect. This was the first year to have on-stage rapid-fire interview category. More focus on talent category. The new leadership is trying to shift the focus from the physicality to more toward education and scholarship and service.

Problem they are having is that this was done primarily in a vacuum without involving the State pageants who feed the contestants to the National pageant; these folks are not happy with the changes. They want the swimsuit competition restored. Funny that a lot of the young women who participate also want swimsuit restored.

The type of changes envisoned at the National level is not currently shared by most of the State pageant folks. This is why the National pageant has stripped at least four state pageant officials from their franchise involvement. It's not been pretty (pun intended!)

There is currently a GoFundMe initiative to take the State fight into court against the National Pageant. Yes, it really is that big of a deal to a lot of folks who are so invested in their respective State pageants. While it may not matter to you or me, it does matter, ALOT, to many of these folks. Pageant drama, if you will...

While there are a lot of folks who don't get the whole "beauty pageant" concept, it is a huge business. Lots and lots of $$$ is involved. Being Miss Whateverstate is/can be a huge deal, especially in those states where being Miss Whateverstate is just a huge deal. For example, a Miss Whateverstate can earn close to six figures during her year, win or lose in Atlantic City. And Miss Americas routinely earn a 6 figure salary during their year of service. It's just a huge fucking deal to a lot of people.

Depending upon the state you compete in, some young women can win several thousands of $$$ in scholarships. Even if you don't ever win the state title. I personally know a few young women who were able to pay for their college education through pageantry. And, for some, the scholarships they get goes a long way for many of them to help get to college, stay in college or pay student loans.

Are pageants perfect? NOPE. But then again, what is? It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the near future. Regardless of what happens, I don't see the Miss America or Miss USA or Miss Universe pageants going anywhere anytime soon. Like I said above, lots of $$$ in pageantry. On so many levels...

The money just makes me hate the shit even more.

I lose more hope in our species every day.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The money just makes me hate the shit even more.

I lose more hope in our species every day.

Uplifting News

RphufTp.gif

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am constantly amazed at the array of members here at LPSG. Mister B, you are one of those elite fashion designers for whom the expression "who" are you wearing applies. As an instinctual Cro-Magnon I've always wanted to ask wadda-you mean who are they wearing? Are they carrying someone around their neck?

Ever since I was in elementary school I've heard about a friend of my aunt's who was a runner-up for Miss America way back in the mid-seventies. Over the years the story has been modified and enhanced but the constant theme is that Susan was robbed of the title by Miss New York. As you've mentioned, Miss America was always a talent-based pageant while Miss U.S.A. has historically been more focused on feminine qualities that more appeal to my demographic of voyeuristic, testosterone-driven straights: "Hey Mikie, grab a beer and getta load of the dynamic ta-tas on that one!" For better or worse that formula has driven the Neilson ratings for Miss U.S.A. these many years.

My aunt's friend Susan was a very talented soprano, enough that her vocal abilities drew the attention of both Curtis and Julliard schools of music. However being a homebody, she went to a university near her home in Ohio while entering the Miss Ohio-America pageants for scholarship money to further her scholastic and vocal training. As an aside, from what I've heard Susan was also as attractive as she was vocally-gifted, and in those halcyon days of yesteryear that combination was sufficient for her to win a slew of beauty pageants leading-up to the granddaddy of them all in Atlantic City. Bert Parks was the master of ceremonies.

For the talent portion of the contest Susan belted-out an operatic top-ten tune-- o mio babbino caro-- and brought the house down; a Renata Tebaldi or Maria Callas would have been proud. By contrast other contestants were performing ballet on roller skates to Swan Lake. Through the mine field of other categories Susan more than held her own; for her extemporaneous question she gamely attempted to find a solution to the world's geo-political problems that have vexed the total membership of the United Nations since its inception. Finally they whittled the number of women down to the precious few finalists. Susan lost-out to a tall brunette named Tawny. While Bert Parks crooned-out "there she is..." and Tawny manufactured crocodile tears on her triumphant stroll down the catwalk, Susan was forced to stand on-stage and smile, no-doubt internally scathing that bitch!!!

Here is the swimsuit competition from Miss U.S.A. 1995 with my favorite Fox News anchor and ex-Miss Florida, Shannon Bream. As the emcee says it's all about poise, grace and fitness...and the contestants will be wearing Payless shoes! Shannon enters at 3:44.

Miss America 1976 - Wikipedia

Interesting backstory on your Aunt's friend Susan Banks who was Miss Ohio that year. She was a preliminary talent winner and went on to be named 3rd runner-up. Susan Lawrence, Miss North Carolina, was named 1st runner-up that year. It's all in the wiki-link above if you're interested.

The young lady who won, Tawny Godin was Miss New York. She did not win any preliminary awards. She did play a mean piano and I think she claimed to have done the arrangement herself or it was an original piece, something like that. Quite tall IIRC.

Her two claims to fame since being Miss America was she was a TV reporter in the Los Angeles market and was married to John Schneider back in the day. Also, rumor around the pageant world is that she was one of the least popular Miss Americas for booking appearances, and as a result, made a lot less money than most others make.

Your favorite Fox Reporter, Shannon Bream also competed as Miss Virginia in the Miss America pageant back in the early 90's. She played the piano as her talent and was named to the Top 10 finalists. She did not advance to the Top 5.

Many well-known women have participated over the years in the Miss America pageant. A lot of them went on to entertainment careers, such as Cloris Leachman. Vanessa Williams. Susan Anton. Nancy O'Dell. Judge Faith.

The pageant world is just that--a world unto itself. But then again, so is the bodybuilding world. The common denominator with just these two examples is simple--$$$. Serious $$$. As in people have gotten rather well-to-do from their pageant/bodybuilding participation, regardless of whether they are on stage or behind the scenes.

Cuz let's be real here--who's gonna do this stuff unless there is a potential reward? Perhaps the crown or trophy draws them in, but the $$$ is what keeps 'em coming.

IntactMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Asheville (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
Historically speaking, male beauty pageants existed and just looked different :p

800px-Arnold_Schwarzenegger_1974.jpg

Sure, I agree with that, but there is certainly something different about this type of contest. Either way, if we are judging beauty, why does it have to be along gender lines. Really, lets just stop judging beauty as though everyone needs to feel the same way about it.

I don't find this picture of Arnold beautiful, I'm sure others do, and that leads to my point of how two sets of judges would reach different conclusions judging beauty among the same group of contestants.

I think your point is more towards the unrealistic standards of appearance that both beauty contests and body building contests require. I agree.

Sorry if this was posted before... I wasn't very interested in beauty pageants.

I think I need makeup tips from them. :cool:

Reactions: MisterB

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I want to thank B-man @MisterB for all the background pageant info. I don't know anything at all about it, and it was very interesting to read an insider's perspective (especially from the artistic angle, as a dress designer).

I am fascinated by the whole national versus state situation in the miss america competition.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I want to thank B-man @MisterB for all the background pageant info. I don't know anything at all about it, and it was very interesting to read an insider's perspective (especially from the artistic angle, as a dress designer).

I am fascinated by the whole national versus state situation in the miss america competition.

The Pageant World is just that--a World unto itself. Filled with intrigue and drama. And in the Miss America pageant world, now more than ever. Gretchen Carlson has caused most of the current drama...

I've not been involved for about 10 years now since a couple of good folks that were involved decided it was time to bail.

And now that my eyesight is not wha it once was, I can't really do the intricate sewing/beading like I once could. So, it kind of worked out for the best.

And thank you Enid for your most kind words. You are one of LPSG finest treasures!

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I truly dislike the entire notion of beauty pageants! There, I said it. Let there be no surprise as to my opinion on this matter.

Yes, I have heard those usual lines uttered in support of beauty pageants:
1.) We have a scholarship for the winner - ostensibly the pageant values women's education;
2.) The contestant is asked her opinion on issues.

If the foregoing were true, why does the pageant not have an education session, where the contestant is judged on her education? They could have this session of equal judgment weight as the swimsuit and evening gown competition.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I truly dislike the entire notion of beauty pageants! There, I said it. Let there be no surprise as to my opinion on this matter.

Yes, I have heard those usual lines uttered in support of beauty pageants:
1.) We have a scholarship for the winner - ostensibly the pageant values women's education;
2.) The contestant is asked her opinion on issues.

If the foregoing were true, why does the pageant not have an education session, where the contestant is judged on her education? They could have this session of equal judgment weight as the swimsuit and evening gown competition.

They do. It's called the Interview category. Every pageant I know of has this category. It usually accounts for the majority of a contestants score compared to the other categories.

This is where the judges get to know the contestants. Who have each provided an extensive bio. With a focus on their educational achievements and goals. I know, I was a judge at several Preliminary local pageants in two different States. I've met some truly impressive and outstanding young women. Many whom have gone on to become quite accomplished in their chosen fields. Who will tell you that their participation in pageants was instrumental in their success.

Interview is where the contestant must make a positive impression IF she wishes to be seriously considered for the title. Especially in the Miss America system. Regardless of any contestant's beauty, poise, swimsuit, talent or evening gown. There's a saying in the pageant world: If you can't talk, you won't walk...the runway as the winner.

I also know several young women who participated in the Miss America system who never won a State title. But, they competed several years and amassed enough scholarship to pay for a large part, if not all, of their education.

I know a lot of folks say they don't care for beauty pageants. That's okay. But I see so many positives because I've been involved. Extensively. I know what's real. And what's not...you know, stereotypes...

Reactions: Enid

bwhip1011

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I don't even understand any of this. In this new era of the me too movement why would any woman or transgender person be involved in such a degrading "competition"? I'm at a loss. With that being said a trans gender person should be allowed any place that any other person is allowed.

technogeek

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So its ok for a transgender to use hormones and be in a competition but athletes who use them are Doping. I'm sorry not against transgender people but isn't that an unfair advantage for them.