Transgender Student Runs for Prom King

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Apr 21, 2007.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    The Streets of Rome are alive and well, despite the falling rubble...

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - When school officials announce the name of the Fresno High School prom king on Saturday, Cinthia Covarrubias will be wearing a tuxedo just like the six boys vying for the honor.
    School officials this week added the 17-year-old's name to the ballot for prom king, reversing a previous district protocol that allowed only males to run for king and females for prom queen.
    Gay youth advocates called it a landmark victory for campus gender expression and said they believe it's the first time in the U.S. that an openly transgender student has run for prom royalty.
    Covarrubias, who wears black-and-white Vans, baggy shorts and close-cropped brown hair, sometimes identifies herself as Tony. Her date, a close female friend, plans to wear a black dress and red corsage to the prom at an outdoor reception hall surrounded by man-made waterfalls.
    [/FONT]

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Most excellent.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

What does your comment mean Faceking? It sounds like you don't approve. I for one am with T_K and think that this is progress and not the begining of the end.

4. representin

representin New Member

I think Face_King is comparin it to some of the stuff that used to take place in Rome which was similar but even wilder.

5. findfirefox

Gold Member

I think that this a very good change and I hope that helps more students feel welcome in their schools and that things have changed in many areas and that being homosexual or transgendered is just as good as being straight (or better :wink: )

6. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

I happen to have noticed, on one or two occasions, that this gratuitous addition to an otherwise rather prosaic sentiment causes some genuine hostility in the general population. They may buy equality, but not just swallow some breezy assertion of superiority.

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

Superiority is an awkward concept because it has no parameters. For a person who IS gay, transgendered, or any other "outside the norm" postition, being who they are IS superior to being straight, which they are not. I think the perception you have picked up on is a reaction to these millions of people who are rejecting being forced to try to accept a lesser truth for themselves than their own reality. Yes, I can understand how they would feel that being who they are, and accepted as such would be superior.

The other thing that comes to mind is personal growth. None can deny that overcoming adversity can either give a person more tools with which to deal with struggles in the future, or crush them. For those who are able to adapt, adjust and overcome, it might suck to say it, but they actually ARE better equipped to reason and consider things from a broader view than those for whom struggles have not been a big part of their lives.

What we must be cautious about is assuming that just because someone hasn't endured OUR struggles, they haven't had any. This is the thing I would like to impress upon ALL minority groups as they struggle for acceptance. Just because someone may "have it easy" on the issue which is so devastating to you, you can't assume that their whole life is a bowl of cherries.

In psychology, we read things about our shared struggles for significance, and that is the common bond of all of humanity. When a majority group is fighting against the rights of a minority group, what is at the root of it is the fear of loss, moreso than the hatred of their brothers. The anger is applied to avoid exposing the fear. Fear is always at the root of anger, and it helps to remember this when someone is shouting in your face. What you are really seeing is unanswered terror, and the way to resolve it satisfactorily is to reassure the aggressor that his fears will not come to fruition, they're just monsters under the bed.

I am happy about this school's decision, and I hope it makes a point to the student body that people are just people, and they don't want a slice of your pie, just their own.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Also, the patent absurdity of such claims tend to cloud the speaker's credibility with the shadows of tastelessness at best and utter stupidity at worst. When you're speaking from a position unfamiliar (and largely, by virtue of human nature, unwelcome), you're already fighting an uphill battle to be taken seriously. Such interjections, even made in jest, damage not only the credibility of the speaker, but also that of which he represents.

As for the Rome remarks, my mind has often wandered down the same path. I've been through several years of instruction in Latin, and the classes covered anthropology as well as language. Many scholars directly attribute the general decadence of Roman society with the collapse of their civilisation. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to draw parallels to modern American society with our rampant political corruption, class disparity, individual egoism, thinly veiled hypocrisies, and general mendacity.

People being what they are, there are always those who choose to focus on one aspect of historical and/or statistical information that feeds their pet gripe. It's well known that public homosexuality in Roman society was on the rise before the fall of Rome. To my knowledge, however, nobody has been able to establish any causal relationship between these two phenomena. That doesn't stop gay-hating alarmists from raising the point anyway, though.

(Faceking, this is not a prosecution of you as such. I don't know your intent behind that statement. I'm pointing out that this is a common refrain I hear from otherwise educated people who have problems with 'mos.)

9. Freddie53

Gold Member

I can see how this would be and is controversial. As far as how the school's decision to let "her" be king, it really isn't now that the decision was made. The decision was made when transgender students were allowed to be and act transgendered at school. I am assuming that this transgendered student has a male name and uses the boys restroom and such.

I can accept the concept of transgender, but I think it has to be all or none as far as society and school goes. At school this student can't be part female and part male. It is too confusing to the students and to the student.

Even though this transgender student probably wouldn't qualify to play on the boy's basket ball team this transgendered student doesn't belong on the girls basket ball team even though the student might qualify as a starter.

My point is that once a girl decides that she will be a boy, then she should then be totally a boy. Same for a boy.

My point is that if the school has already accepted this student as being transgendered, then this was a no brain er. The issue was already settled.

10. CPearl

CPearl New Member

Thank you! I am tired of that old tale.

11. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    As Borat would say, "Very nice, very nice. We make sexy time. High five!"

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well, get ready for election of a single Prom Person.

13. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

That kind of depends on which of the various trendy definitions of "transgendered" is being used. They cover quite a bit of territory and will, I suspect, cause some totally unnecessary social crises in future. The problem is real, and not to be casually dismissed by some airy invocation of people's "hangups" or "insecurities".

If the quoted article used the term as a synonym for transvesticism, then I suspect that there would be hell to pay if the student does her smoking in the boy's room rather than in the girl's room. If, on the other hand, it refers to transsexuality, and the student is at some point in a program eventually involving surgical gender modification, then only a troglodyte would object to her using the boy's room, as that isn't just a matter of whim, but is a standard part of the transformation.

I have to suspect that the murky status of the words which the article uses to define the situation is part of a deliberate political ploy. Nothing can be discussed coherently in the public arena if the words have no real, standardized, and widely-understood meanings. And as usual, there are interest groups which don't want their issues discussed intelligently, but prefer obfuscation, political labeling, and such razzle-dazzle. There is no doubt at all that this is a common tactic in American politics and the media biz. The organized gun-prohibition efforts in the US are good examples. (This is an example, not a thread hijack.)

If this is actually about "gender expression", and if that means that you are whatever the hell you feel like being at any particular time, then separate boy's and girl's rooms (or men's and women's) have no function. They could, and maybe should, be replaced by one room. "Dumpster" might be good, but I think that's already taken. But no matter. If that's what "gender expression" leads to, let's stop calling it something nebulous. I don't get much hot 'n bothered about it myself, but a lot of people do. And people being hot 'n bothered means votes.

14. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Bingo. That's how I like to leave it... a la the "Greatest Civilization" vs "The Fall". It was just a compelling article.... around these parts of the continent that ya'll might be innarested in.

Draft saved Draft deleted