Transplant patient makes medical history.

Talk about miracles! I hope against hope this will lead to a treatment protocol which will make this commonplace.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
You know I was thinking about this when I was talking with my friend about which blood types we were. I'm O+ and if someone gave me A or B, would mine change over?

Either way that story made me smile, that is something very cool and hopefully they will be able to repeat what they have done for her.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know I was thinking about this when I was talking with my friend about which blood types we were. I'm O+ and if someone gave me A or B, would mine change over?

No, and you'd get seriously ill, possibly fatally.

Either way that story made me smile, that is something very cool and hopefully they will be able to repeat what they have done for her.

If I read the article correctly she did it for herself. Still, if it could be understood and replicated it could revolutionise transplant surgery. The Human body is capable of amazing surprises.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

No.

No, and you'd get seriously ill, possibly fatally.

Quite - Blood received in a transfusion must be compatible - have the same antigens as yours (A,B,O and Rh factor). If you get a transfusion of incompatible blood (different antigens), the antibodies in your plasma will destroy the donor blood cells. This is a transfusion reaction. The reaction can be anywhwere between mild and fatal.

O neg blood does not have any (major) antigens and is compatible with any blood type (universal donor, can be tranfused to anyone without reaction). Type AB pos blood can receive blood of any type (universal recipient). The major antigens aren't the only things that need matching and the universal donor / recipient matching is only used in emergencies.

Women with Rh negative blood types need to be careful with pregnancy - if the developing baby has Rh positive blood the mother's immune system can start producing antibodies that may destroy the developing fetus's red blood cells. Note: Rarely a problem on a first pregnancy as the antibodies form 'too late' to have a negative effect, but subsequent pregnancies need to be monitored and, if necessary, treatment administered.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Quite - Blood received in a transfusion must be compatible - have the same antigens as yours (A,B,O and Rh factor). If you get a transfusion of incompatible blood (different antigens), the antibodies in your plasma will destroy the donor blood cells. This is a transfusion reaction. The reaction can be anywhwere between mild and fatal.

O neg blood does not have any antigens and is compatible with any blood type (universal donor). Type AB pos blood can receive blood of any type (universal recipient). The major antigens aren't the only things that need matching and the universal donor / recipient matching is only used in emergencies.

Women with Rh negative blood types need to be careful with pregnancy - if the developing baby has Rh positive blood the mother's immune system can start producing antibodies that may destroy the developing fetus's red blood cells. Note: Rarely a problem on a first pregnancy as the antibodies form 'too late' to have a negative effect, but subsequent pregnancies need to be monitored and, if necessary, treatment administered.

Very throughly done. It's morning and was in the mood for pith.:biggrin1:

Useful compatability chart for potential blood group convertees.