Travel to Chicago

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nicenycdick, Oct 19, 2010.

1. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey...I will be in Chicago this coming weekend (Oct 22 -25) and I'd love some suggestions about things to do in the Windy City. I am very interested in finding places and restaurants where the locals hang out. I really hate the typical touristy things...but I would love to know what makes Chicago the city it is. So let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
  3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've never had a bad meal at Bistro 110
    Go to the Zodiac restaurant at Neiman Marcus for lunch the popovers are wonderful.
    Also try Le Colonial
    This is my favorite pizza in the windy city...
    My Pie Pizza
    Have Fun!

#3 nudeyorker, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the suggestions, Enid and Nudeyorker...I will certainly check them out. Anyone else?

5. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    for steak my friend recommends

GENE & GEORGETTI

Chicago Steakhouse | Chicago Steakhouse Restaurant | Downtown Chicago Steakhouse | Chicago Steak Restaurant | Steaks in Downtown Chicago

i've never been there though

sinatra dined there

make it to the art institute museum if you can!

http://www.artic.edu/aic/

they have this among other cool exhibits:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/exhibition/Street

October 16, 2010–January 17, 2011
    Overview: Chicago Cabinet is an exhibition series showcasing the Art Institute’s photographic holdings relating to the city of Chicago—its built environment, neighborhoods, and civic history. The second exhibition in the series, Views from the Street, features seven artists who have taken inspiration from the city's buildings, pedestrians, and vivid street life. Walker Evans, best known for his Depression-era images of the American south, photographed Chicago in 1946 for Fortune magazine, looking at shoppers, burlesque signs, and tumbling-down brownstones. Yasuhiro Ishimoto and Ray K. Metzker, both students of Harry Callahan’s at the city’s legendary Institute of Design (ID), found photographic material in children playing on south side streets and in the light and shadows within the physical boundaries of the Loop. Arthur Siegel, who helped found the ID’s photography program, saw Freudian themes of the self in the colors and shoppers of State Street in the 1950s. And in the 1970s, photographers as diverse as David Plowden, Luis Medina, and Gary Stochl took their cameras to the streets, exploring the urban and industrial landscape, graffiti and gang members, and the odd juxtapositions that occur in a bustling city. Together, these groups of street photographs reveal a surprising and vibrant Chicago.

#5 Enid, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

OK it's a tad touristy but go to The Pump Room for a cocktail. But be sure to wear a jacket, No matter what Phil Collins said "Jackets" are required!

7. lpsg17

Gold Member

Take the architectural boat tour on the Chicago river, really gives you a different perspective of the city and great history, have a drink at the John Hancock 95th floor eat pizza at Pizza unos
    go to Millennium park See a show at one of the great theatres go to one of the many Blues clubs. Have some popcorn at Garretts

8. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Booo, will miss you in Illinois by a week.
    I have heard that Chicago has really good, authentic Mexican restaurants, so if one's locally recommended, please go and report back. Or wait a week and take me. :)

9. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for all the suggestions! And ExotiKittie...we gotta start coordinating our calendars!!!

10. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just got back and tried some of the recommendations I received here. Chicago is a great city! The architecture was truly stunning...the boat ride down the Chicago River was a highlight. The food was fantastic...from the deep-dish pizza to the steaks. I was truly impressed with the beauty, cleanliness and warmth of the people. I didn't get enough and I know I will return. Again, thanks to all who helped with suggestions.

11. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey how was gene & georgetti's??

12. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I lived in Chicago for 13 years and never went to any of those places--though I did take an architectural tour by boat in the river once.

Only after I moved away did I discover that "Pizzeria Uno" is a chain of restaurants across the country. In Chicago, there was Pizzeria Uno and its other branch, Pizzeria Due. It irritates me to no end when I hear people refer to a Pizzeria Uno restaurant as "Uno's," as if it belonged to somebody named "Uno." It's a fucking number, for Christ's sake!

13. hughyp

hughyp New Member

uno sounds like a Japanese name

14. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    If there were a restaurant chain called "Sushi Uno," I could understand people taking "Uno" for a personal name; when it's combined with the word "pizzeria," they should know better.

15. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:

It was fantastic, Enid. Thanks for that one!

16. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK...now I'm going to Los Angeles next weekend. I lived there for 6 years back in the late 70's and go back often. So...no recommendations are necessary. Unless anyone can tell me where to get a fantastic blowjob....

Draft saved Draft deleted