Travelling to Turkey!

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm very excited! I already booked a ticket to Istanbul and very nervous because this will be my first flight experience ever! So, anybody from Turkey here who can give tips and advice on what to do over there?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You will have a wonderful time. I love Turkey. I have not been there in almost ten years. There is an active member here who lives there who I'm sure can give you some wonderful advice. Have fun.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Oh Instanbul is one of the most bewitching cities on earth, I went there ten years ago and had an amazing time, so jealous. I have family there I should go visit some time :)

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks guys, I still don't have a clue what to do over there... But I know about the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar and the palace. What else eh?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'd love to go to Turkey but have never been.
But I know one thing I would want to see -- the Hagia Sophia, now a museum, but which was once the largest cathedral in Christendom and was later made into a mosque.
It's considered a classic example of Byzantine architecture.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There are many places on the list not to miss.
The Basilica Cistern, Süleymaniye Camii, the Topkapi Saray complex, Ayasofya... and so much more. The city has been called the world's largest archeological museum.

Whatever you want, someone has it for sale. Probably you don't even know you need it, but they will have several varieties to suit any taste or pain threshold. There are many things hidden and many layers to peel back.

The best thing is drinking tea beside the Bosphorus, watching the life go on.

How many days do you have?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm going for 10 days. I heard at Bosphorus there is this fish dish that should not be missed.
That would be Hamsi. But the season is in the fall. No worries though, the food is fabulous. Get away from the touristic Sultanahmet district and go to Taksim and Beyoğlu. Galata, Beşıtaş, Ortakoy for good food. Or Kadıköy on the Asian side. Take the ferry across the Bosporus. Be sure to use the old boats, not the new ones.

onewatcher

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
WARNING!!!! If a shoe shiner is walking in front of you and drops his brush, DO NOT pick it up!!! It is a scam done all over the city. He will thank you by shinning your shoes and then rip you off for cash!!! Happend my second time there this last summer. It had been many years since i was there and I had forgotten this. Thought I was being nice and picked up the brush. For the rest of my stay, I watched this happen several more times! Otherwise, it's an awesome city. Went to the only gay hammam. THAT was an experience!

mrplow2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You'll love turkey. I went when I was rather young.

Istanbul is a great city. One of my favourites on the planet. There is so much culture there. You have to see the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi palace, the blue mosque, hagia sophia.

I also went to Izmir, Ankara, Konya and Antalya. Antalya is awesome too.

mrplow2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I stayed here in Antalya. It was awesome. The building itself is a historical site. I remember that there were alot of kittens running around the property too.

There are tons of local food merchants in the harbour. The food is amazing.

You need to see Capadocia and the underground cities. It's amazing to see the extremes that people go through to survive.

Ephesus is awesome.

Try some Raki too. It's an anise flavoured liquor!

I'm so jealous! I want to go back!

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Istanbul is gorgeous. The architecture makes the history tangible. Just breathtaking.

One bit of advice not offered in this thread yet is to haggle in the markets.
If you pay the marked price you've paid too much. What's more, the merchants seem to like you better for engaging in this time honoured tradition.

While hunting for leather ottoman covers I finally found a colour combination I liked. Other merchants had theirs priced at 6-8 Euros, this one was 12. I mentioned the discrepancy and the following exchange occurred.
Him - Ours are better quality.
Me - uh huh. I'll give you 6 euros.
Him - 10.
Me - 6.
Him - 9.
Me(thinking almost to the 8 I wanted) - okay, 7.
Him - 10.
Me - WHAT?! You just went up again! How about this? I pay nothing and you can keep it.
Him - Are you Turkish?

Final price 7 euros.

Another shop owner was pushing on me a unique leather rolling suitcase that he had priced at 200 euros. It was gorgeous but I didn't need a suitcase but he kept shaving the price down to entice the purchase. I had hoped to put a quick end to it by complaining of low finances and suggesting an insultingly low amount (40 CDN). He shook his head sadly that that would not be possible. I apologized and complimented him on his wares and left for the bus almost a block away. I wasn't seated on the bus for two minutes before he charged up the bus steps WITH the damned suitcase! He said he'd take the 40 CDN for it! OMFG, between the shock, guilt and embarrassment I gave him the 40 for the suitcase. I can't believe he made a profit from the sale so I suspect that making the sale is somehow an issue of pride over profit. Yikes.

Start around 70% of the marked price and enjoy the haggle to somewhere in between. It'll save you some money and give you some neat stories to take home.

One seller at a market (not Istanbul) said to another seller that he was sick of making money.

(Also, I found carefully examining an object gets them quickly dropping the price...)