Trintellix & libido

LP88

Experimental Member
Media
I've been on Trintellix for around three years, though not always consistently. I've built up to 20mg a day, and stopped suddenly with pretty horrible effects, then built back up and worked with my doctor to wind me down. That still didn't work, so I'm back on 10mg until I can see her again.

This medication didn't have sexual side effects as bad as a previous medication I was on (Lexapro), but the "withdrawals" are way worse, including not being able to sleep and such. So it's a trade-off. Has anyone has any success with depression medication as it relates to sex drive and such? Trintellix does allow me to function a lot better than without it, but it also "evens" me out to a degree that doesn't give me much interest in anything, let alone sex. Lexapro made ejaculations painful and delayed and weak.

What medications have you found both work and have minimal side effects? My doctor is just a Trintellix cheerleader, but I feel there has to be something better.

milbud29

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As a provider who frequently uses these meds, I"ll tell you this is a common side effect of any 'SSRI' class of meds. Usually not a concern in teens or younger 20-somethings, but certainly as patients get older, the libido concerns that can come with meds like Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, etc are a reality for some people. Trintellix is a newer version, and if your provider is having drug reps come, he may be pushing it first. You might ask about whether wellbutrin would be a good choice...it's been around for a while and is well tolerated...good for folks with depression concerns and seems to have less libido and weight concerns than SSRIs may have. Be frank with your doc about the perceived side effects...no one can force you to take a med you think it's working well for you. good luck!

LP88

Experimental Member
Media
As a provider who frequently uses these meds, I"ll tell you this is a common side effect of any 'SSRI' class of meds. Usually not a concern in teens or younger 20-somethings, but certainly as patients get older, the libido concerns that can come with meds like Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, etc are a reality for some people. Trintellix is a newer version, and if your provider is having drug reps come, he may be pushing it first. You might ask about whether wellbutrin would be a good choice...it's been around for a while and is well tolerated...good for folks with depression concerns and seems to have less libido and weight concerns than SSRIs may have. Be frank with your doc about the perceived side effects...no one can force you to take a med you think it's working well for you. good luck!

I was put on Vraylar to go along with the Trintellix. It's strong as hell. I've only been on it for three days, but the second day I was so dizzy I could barely stand up straight. I'm going to try to push through it for a few days, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing.